Author Topic: Dennis: McLaren have plenty of options  (Read 2004 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Dennis: McLaren have plenty of options
« on: November 30, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »
By Pablo Elizalde Friday, November 30th 2007, 10:58 GMT

McLaren boss Ron Dennis says the British team have plenty of drivers to choose from to replace two-time world champion Fernando Alonso.

Alonso left the team at the end of the season, leaving a vacant seat at McLaren, who only have Lewis Hamilton confirmed as racing driver for 2008.

Dennis insisted the team are in no hurry to make a decision, but said there will be no shortage of drivers to choose from.

"We haven't decided yet. We are in no hurry," Dennis was quoted as saying by Colombia's El Tiempo newspaper. "It could be Pedro de la Rosa.

"There are a lot of options but I can't name names. The only thing that I know is that we don't need to rush it. We are working with Hamilton. Once we have decided on his teammate we'll begin working with him."

Alonso parted company with McLaren two years before the end of his contract after his relationship with the team deteriorated throughout the season.

Dennis said it has been the first time his team had such problems with a driver.

"I don't think we've had problems that aren't normal," he said. "Actually, the only relationship that ended up badly was with Fernando Alonso.

"We would have liked if things hadn't finished like that. But there's nothing we can do now and we are already thinking about 2008.

"I think that if F1 drivers have a difficult temper is because they are winners. Everyone who feels like a winner, when he can't win, reacts strongly.

"But you can't win at all costs. It's good that they only ambition is to win and that's what they are hired for, but you have to know how to deal with your impulses and with difficult situations."