Author Topic: Hamilton just misses Top Gear record  (Read 2098 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hamilton just misses Top Gear record
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:15:10 PM »
By Matt Beer Sunday, December 2nd 2007, 21:11 GMT

Lewis Hamilton came close to setting another record when he appeared on BBC television's highly popular motoring programme Top Gear on Sunday night.

The world championship runner-up was the latest Formula One driver to attempt the show's 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' feature, in which celebrities take to the Top Gear test track in an ordinary family saloon.

In previous series Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Jenson Button and Mark Webber had all tried in vain to beat the 1:44.4 record set by Top Gear's "tame racing driver", the anonymous 'Stig'.

Hamilton too fell short, but only by 0.3 seconds despite the test track being wet and oily on the day of his visit.

Not satisfied with that, the McLaren ace immediately vowed to return in more clement weather for another shot at the record.

"Invite me back to do it on a dry day," Hamilton insisted.

His performance also made a great impression on the Top Gear team.

"I still keep replaying his second to last corner, because I've never seen a piece of driving quite like it," wrote executive producer Andy Wilman on the show's website.

"The world is governed by the rules of physics, but he just seems to have his own set.

"The other thing you notice is he's so self-sufficient for a 22-year-old. Most F1 drivers need more maintenance and nannying than the car, but he doesn't seem to need anybody.

"In the interview, in (presenter Jeremy) Clarkson's backyard, he sat opposite one of the most confident broadcasters in the world and scored some cracking blows when the banter kicked off."