Author Topic: FIA Formula 3 European Champion Felix Rosenqvist named as test and reserve driv  (Read 4983 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Mercedes-AMG DTM Team appoints Felix Rosenqvist as test and reserve driver for the upcoming 2016 DTM season

Rosenqvist succeeds Mercedes-Benz Junior Driver Esteban Ocon, who will be making his DTM debut with Mercedes-AMG in 2016
    The Swedish driver won the 2015 FIA Formula 3 European Championship and the Macau Formula 3 Grand Prix
    Felix Rosenqvist: “This is a great opportunity for me to learn as much as possible about the DTM.”

All set for the new DTM season. The Swede Felix Rosenqvist will support the Mercedes-AMG DTM Team this season as an official test and reserve driver. Rosenqvist succeeds Mercedes-Benz Junior Driver Esteban Ocon, who is making his debut in the internationally popular touring car series this year with Mercedes-AMG DTM Team ART.
Rosenqvist joins the squad as reigning FIA Formula 3 European Champion just like Ocon before him. Last season, Rosenqvist secured 13 wins and 24 podiums with the Mercedes-Benz Formula 3 engine. Two weeks after his 24th birthday, he also won the prestigious Macau Formula 3 Grand Prix at the end of November 2015 for the second consecutive year. This second victory on the legendary Guia street circuit crowned the most successful year of Rosenqvist’s motor racing career to date.
Rosenqvist is already very familiar with the DTM from previous years, in which he lined up in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship during DTM race weekends. The Swede has also already driven a Mercedes-AMG DTM car. He took a DTM car out during testing in Jerez de la Frontera in December 2014 as part of his reward for taking his first Macau win.
Felix Rosenqvist: “I’ve had an excellent relationship with Mercedes for quite a long time and really feel at home in the team. Of course, it will be a new experience for me to act as test and reserve driver for the DTM squad. Esteban undertook this role last year. He assisted drivers and readied himself for his future in the DTM. If you get the chance to drive in the DTM, you want to be as well prepared as possible, so from that perspective, this is a great opportunity for me to learn as much as possible about the DTM.”
Ulrich Fritz, Head of Mercedes-AMG DTM: “We have gained the services of an ambitious young talent, Felix Rosenqvist, to act as test and reserve driver. Daniel Juncadella’s bout of illness at the season finale at Hockenheim in 2015 demonstrated the importance of this role when Esteban stood in for Daniel during Friday practice. Fortunately, Daniel was able to take his seat in the cockpit once again on the Saturday. Felix has clearly shown his huge potential by taking two wins on the tricky street circuit in Macau and also by comfortably winning the FIA Formula 3 European Championship recently. He now has the chance this season to gain valuable experience in our DTM team.”