Enthusiast Groups > Smart

Out of warranty in only 2 years - interesting statistic

(1/1)

fasteddy:
Not to many people's surprise. Every Smart car owner likes to drive it. A lot of it. For all sorts of reasons. Fuel efficient and low cost of maintenance is probably contibute to a large part of it. With just over 2 years being sold in Canada. Many car has or already reaching the end of 4 years/80,000km warranty.

Proper maintenance is the key for long life of anything. Human and cars alike.

smartzuuk:
Change the oil or change the car. I've stuck to 8000 km interval since day one. Now approaching 100,000 kms. I have pulled 5 oil samples on my car since 56,000 kms - and they are as good as ever. A little bit of biodiesel or Milligans additive has shown to reduce engine wear, namely the iron ppm. Still a bit anecdotal - but I think a quality additive is worth using.

Except for the clutch actuator which was toasted during a computer glitch, my car had no issues during the warranty period. Now out of warranty, it has needed a turbo intake seal.

Regular maint should include the fuel filter and tranny fluid. Tranny fluid is probably best done at 24,000 km based on the analysis I have from Finning Canada on mine and another owners original fluid, and also on mine after 29,000 kms on replacement fluid. Coolant after 95,000 kms is still good for under -50, but I will replace it as well shortly.

Belts could be due as early as 32,000 km - depending on wear you live. Mine were okay at 80,000, but every car will be different. It is a good thing to have looked at each service.

Oh, BTW - my cost over 80,000 km was only $1600 to maintain - some DIY, some fasteddy, and a little bit MB. So The average Vancouver driver might expect $400 or $500 per year, which is decent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version