Author Topic: Whitmarsh: Mika won't mentor Hamilton  (Read 3948 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Whitmarsh: Mika won't mentor Hamilton
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:28:24 PM »
By Alan Baldwin Wednesday, December 6th 2006, 20:58 GMT

McLaren have poured cold water on suggestions that former champion Mika Hakkinen could act as a mentor to Formula One rookie Lewis Hamilton next season.

"I don't think that Mika is a natural mentor, to be honest," chief executive Martin Whitmarsh told Reuters at the McLaren factory today, while confirming such a role had been considered.

"I think he's got a whole range of good human qualities...but it would be very unusual, unless it's your son, that a successful racing driver has gone on to mentor someone else to emulate what he did.

"I can't imagine that it would actually be something that would motivate and excite him."

Briton Hamilton, 21, faces a daunting debut in Formula One with double world champion Fernando Alonso as his teammate.

Hakkinen, 38, is also a double champion and last month made a test comeback with McLaren after retiring from Grand Prix racing in 2001.

That return raised speculation the Finn, who has spent the last two years racing in DTM, was contemplating some sort of a return to Formula One with McLaren.

Whitmarsh said some of the Finn's observations on the handling of the car had been useful to the team, and he did not rule out further tests.

"If Mika came and said 'Actually, I wouldn't mind every six months having another go', I think we'd take it seriously," he said.

"Will he ever contribute to the programme again? I think we'd be open to it, if he can bring something to the party."

The McLaren boss felt, however, that the November test was also about Hakkinen, who has a Mercedes DTM contract on the table for next year, seeking to satisfy his curiosity and resolve a career dilemma.

"I think he's probably still searching for what to do next - do you commit to a life after being a racing driver and what do you do, what's the next great challenge?" he said.

"I don't know, and I don't think today that Mika knows where he's going to go."