Author Topic: Starting to Mod :3  (Read 9705 times)

Offline tweek

Starting to Mod :3
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
So basically what I have is the Euro 92' 190E 2.6 in excellent condition with under 70k miles on it.  Silver/Gry with the stock body (spoiler and sides)... the only down side to it is the automatic transmission my grandma had installed in it because she couldn't drive a manual-sad but true.

Now what I'm looking to do is conservatively performance mod it a bit.  Ultimately I would like to get the 5-speed manual from the 2.3-16 and an engine that can handle a turbo but that can wait a bit.  For now, I am looking at things I can bolt on and go.  Now that might seem a bit lame but Im going to school and nearing my AS. My funds aren't that great and I'm looking to spend around $1k at the moment. I'm familiar with the import performance area -Nissan S14/15, Supra, Rx7, and the Corolla AE86 are some of my favorite cars - and I love my 190. 

Is there any benefit from adding a cold air like something offered from K&N or AEM?  If so - which ones have you (Eddy or whomever replies) had a good experience with in this car?

Also, I heard about a ???ohm resistor that added some retard.. any input regarding its removal is appreciated.

Exhaust ideas??

How much could I find a Getrag 5-speed for? (one that isn't dead or in need of substantial rebuilding)

Finally, for now, what are some other catalog parts that can give me some good price/performance?

I know this is a lot to sift through but it seems like this is the place for me to inquire - even if I'm 10 years late ;p

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: Starting to Mod :3
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »
There are very good potential with the W201 2.6L.

Don't expect too much with the cold air intake. Replace the transmission fluid and adjust the valve body will give you more bang for the buck. More noticeable improvement are shocks/springs and brakes.

We have in stock:
-regular 5-speed $500.00
-Getrag 5-speed $1000.00

Getrag is very tough. We have 5 years of racing on our race car without needing a rebuild.

Offline tweek

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 10:08:10 AM »
Thats great, I was looking for prices on those.  I live in Florida - what would shipping be like on a Getrag 5-speed from Canada??

Offline weneakhborz

• MBCA Member
  • Be Brave Or Die
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »
in my opinion the best thing you would do it to dump the K-Jet injection and install an EFI system.from there you will get so much good.

Offline tweek

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »
mmk I can look into that- Thanks.  I'm working with a local shop that relocated from Germany right now [crosses fingers] so hopefully something good can come out of it.