Enthusiast Groups > McLaren

Q & A with Mika Hakkinen

(1/1)

fasteddy:
By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, November 29th 2006, 17:54 GMT

The gossip in the Barcelona paddock during this week's first winter test has only been about one man - Mika Hakkinen.

From early week rumours of a possible test soon, it was finally confirmed just before the double world champion arrived at the Circuit de Catalunya today that he will indeed be running on Thursday.

For the moment, the test is just a one-off, to allow the team to get feedback from a top-line star about just what is right or wrong about the MP4-21. But after autosport.com sat down with Hakkinen on Wednesday afternoon, there is every suggestion that the Flying Finn may be back for more action in the near future.

Hakkinen started off his chat with a little monologue...

Mika Hakkinen: I just wanted to tell you what is going on, but I do not want to say too much about it. I have to drive tomorrow. I am very excited as the last time (I drove an F1 car) it was 2001 when I was driving the car flat out.

I drove at Goodwood this year just for fun, but obviously Goodwood is not the place you have to go fast ? it is just entertainment for the fans. Here obviously I can push the car harder, not on the first lap, but I have a full day at least to experience a GP car again.

It is going to be an exciting day. An extremely exciting day. I am looking forward to working with the team and the mechanics. Obviously there are a few faces in the team who are new, but there are some old members in the team as well. It is going to be exciting and fun.

I will say again that it is difficult to say too much more. I have no feeling about it yet. Obviously you guys want to understand if I am coming back to F1 or staying in the DTM?and at the moment the idea is the DTM. I can say that. F1, at the moment, is a big experience day to understand how the F1 car has changed over the last few years.

It will be a great experience with the electronics and also using Bridgestone tyres again. I used them when I won my championships in 1998 and 1999, so this is all interesting.

Q. When did the decision to test come about?

MH: Well, this process, what is happening at the moment, did not happen too long ago. It has not been going on like one year or half a year, but only a short time. Obviously I was in the simulator at McLaren a couple of times, which was very exciting. It is an interesting machine. Obviously I signed with Johnnie Walker for me to be an ambassador for them ? to promote safety on the road and not drink and drive.

Q. So is tomorrow just a promotional event?

MH: No, it is not promotion tomorrow.

Q. What kind of answers are you expecting out of tomorrow? What do you want to know?

MH: Obviously I do have memories, understanding and feelings from when I used to race. I know roughly how it works, how the car is handling, braking, accelerating, cornering and the G-load. So that is going to be one of the big tests for me ? are they like what they used to be?

Will it be more difficult or easier? I think the thing for me to answer is, am I quick enough? That is not the purpose of the test though, logically like you have read for the press release.

Q. Who started all the discussion that has resulted in you testing?

MH: The whole idea was done together with not one particular person, but with the whole McLaren team. Let's see what is going to happen. Obviously I have been in the simulator a couple of times, which was interesting. My feedback from many years of F1 will be very valuable info and all this is something good.

My opinion is I should not sit here too much longer. Let's wait and see ? and enjoy it. I am excited. It is very positive. I am looking forward to seeing the steering, the pedals, and everything this evening. It is all exciting.

But it is not only fun. You have to take a serious approach for the whole test. You cannot test and joke about it. Okay, let's drive. I have to focus my mind to make a good day tomorrow.

All the valuable information to the team is for the future. I think it is serious. Then they will make every note about it. They will investigate for the comments. It is going to influence the future. It is absolutely serious.

Q. So did all the discussions start about the Brazilian GP time?

MH: Yes, roughly about that time. It was not long ago.

Q. And what is your wife's opinion?

MH: She is very excited about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version