Author Topic: Coulthard prepares for emotional exit  (Read 2265 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Coulthard prepares for emotional exit
« on: October 31, 2008, 06:06:04 PM »

By Jonathan Noble    Friday, October 31st 2008, 16:08 GMT

David Coulthard in BrazilDavid Coulthard admits the emotions of his Formula One career coming to an end are now getting to him ahead of his send off in this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull Racing driver will bring the curtain down on his 246-race career at Interlagos on Sunday, before he embarks on a new life as an advisor for the team and likely expert pundit for BBC's F1 coverage next season.

And although having had plenty of time to prepare for his final race, Coulthard concedes that the occasion's importance is now creeping up on him.

"I wasn't thinking about it and then I left last Thursday to go to Argentina for a promotion," said Coulthard. "Karen (Coulthard's fiance) took me to the airport as normal and it was only when I was just about to get in the car that I realised I'd be leaving a Grand Prix driver, for what that's worth, and I'd be coming back as an ex-driver, a Joe Bloggs, a TV pundit.

"That's the first time it really struck me. When I was going through the thoughts earlier in the year about whether I should make it easy for everyone rather than drag things out, it all seemed fairly straightforward and very logical.

"You've achieved as much as you are probably going to achieve and there's good alternatives for the team and other opportunities to make decisions that enable you to build on relationships.

"When I see Rubens (Barrichello) there, hoping to continue, it's 50-50 probably whether he can and if he doesn't, it's probably too late to maintain anything with the team. He maybe doesn't want to, but I love being involved with motorsport."

Coulthard's career nearly came to an end in 2004, when McLaren decided not to extend his contract with them. It was only in December that year that he secured a deal with Red Bull Racing to carry on in F1.

Looking back at how he felt at the 2004 Brazilian Grand Prix, not knowing if he had a future in F1 at the time, Coulthard says even then the emotions were running high.

"It was the first time I had my last Grand Prix. When I left the paddock in 2004, I had nothing. Nobody was interested. I went to see Jean (Todt), I went to see Flavio (Briatore), I went to see Frank (Williams), and I went to see anyone from a testing point of view.

"This wasn't for racing. They weren't going to give me a race drive. But I wanted to stay involved because I thought I still had more to give and that the McLaren end of my career hadn't worked out to show my better side.

"When I was saying goodbye to the boys before going off to the last race I had tears. And when you're not someone who is a tearful person, it came as a complete surprise to me. The guys at McLaren were sort of looking away respectfully.

"It shows that I put a lot of emotion into my racing and a lot of passion for many years. And even though I don't see myself as an outwardly emotional person, it obviously just simmers underneath. I guess Sunday might be a bit like that. I hope not, because there's nothing worse than a grown man crying, is there?"

Coulthard says he is excited about the next chapter in his life, which will include him becoming a father later this year.

Alongside his expected announcement as a BBC pundit, Coulthard will maintain his links with Red Bull as an advisor - although he has yet to firm up exactly what he will be doing for the team.

"After the season we'll define exactly what that role encapsulates and what authorities or lack of I might have," he said. "Obviously as a driver you have quite an influence over the team and a direct line with everyone.

"I won't be the race driver next year, but I'll have an opinion and a point of view on things and I know a lot of people in the team. I have a desire to still test the cars because I still get a buzz out of the technology and the development of all that.

"I am going to use that as an opportunity to see whether it's of interest to me in the long term. My heart's in racing, and whether that's myself out there or being part of a racing team, I can still get a buzz out of that. Obviously you don't get the sweat and maybe the tears, but all that will unfold as the time passes."

Coulthard has no plans to compete in another category ? although concedes that he may be interested in some fun outings if the opportunity comes up.

"I've raced for 26 years now, so that's more than anything else I have done in my life," he explained. "But the funny thing is, I don't feel the desire to go and sign up to race in something else. I've always wanted to race at the highest level, and that was my clear goal. I never really dreamed of racing in anything else.

"I watched Grands Prix as a kid, and that's where I wanted to go. So today I don't imagine racing in something else, but then I don't want to say I won't.

"Gil de Ferran has a sportscar team in America, and it could be fun to do something with him and go racing where it's not about every last millisecond. This (F1) is all about 'shit, I'm a quarter of a tenth off the pace,' and that, over 3.5kms, is the difference between winning and losing. It drives you crazy chasing that.

"There are forms of racing where of course the time is important, but there is also the feeling of camaraderie which falls into the category of gentleman racing than competitive racing."

He added: "I think I'm lucky because I've experienced so much for a boy from a village. My parents have come along on that journey, but they still don't know what it is like to be in the public eye, experience meeting royals or whatever it happens to be.

"I know it was a great experience, but you don't need to be in the public eye to have fun. You don't need to have a lot of money to have fun. The bottom line is, it's not sexy. It all comes down to whether you've got your health, good friends and family. And if you have, you crack on and get on with your life."