Author Topic: Q & A with Lewis Hamilton  (Read 2027 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Q & A with Lewis Hamilton
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, March 20th 2008, 10:07 GMT

Q. Malaysia could be a different ballgame to Albert Park. What are your expectations for this weekend?

Lewis Hamilton in MalaysiaLewis Hamilton: It should be a little bit different. Last year we saw the ambient temperature and the humidity made it a lot harder for the drivers, but it is also a lot more demanding on the car and tyres. Having a hot race last weekend at the moment it seems to be quite cool, and looks like it may be raining this weekend, so I guess it will be a slightly difficult weekend but at the end of the day we are here to win.

Q. The fact that it could be wet, is that a concern as a driver?

LH: No, in fact if anything it makes it easier. Physically it will be easier, I think here last year was one of the most physically demanding events, definitely for me, I have ever come across. I think a lot of athletes would have struggled in the heat. But even if you have a half dry/half wet race it will be challenging for all of us, but obviously our car has no problems in the heat so we don't mind either way.

Q. We are all waiting to see how drivers cope without TC in the wet?

LH: Possibly, yes. It will be tough, that is for sure. Here it is a slightly different wet race compared to the Nurburgring or Hockenheim, where it will be quite cold, so as soon as you get out there you lose the heat in the tyres and it is difficult to get the heat back into them. Here it will be better, the tyres will be warm so it is slightly better.

Q. Do you expect Ferrari to come back stronger from their horrendous weekend in Australia?

LH: I expect them to be as strong as they were last weekend, but perhaps without the problems they had and everything else.

Q. Everything that could go wrong for them did, but it was a perfect start for you?

LH: It was a perfect start, absolutely. Actually, it wasn't a perfect style - we would have liked a 1-2, but it was as close to perfect as we could get it. It would have been great for Heikki and me to get a 1-2. I watched some of the replay footage and he did some great manoeuvres and had a great race back there. It is a shame with the rules that it makes it a little bit difficult, it is a bit of a gamble when the safety car comes out, but that is racing.

Q. How much testing have you had on wet tracks in the winter?

LH: I have no idea; you will have to ask the team. Maybe, if I can guess, two or three days. I may be wrong...

Q. Sometimes there is a case that one particular car is better than on a dry track. Can you detect any difference on the McLaren?

LH: All I can say is that the first time we tested like that in Jerez. I think everyone was experiencing problems. I think the last time I drove in the wet was Barcelona and BMW seemed to have a very good car in the wet, and were slightly stronger than us at that point. But also Red Bull Racing are quite quick, and Ferrari were not there ? but I can only assume they will be quick.

Q. Looking from the outside about your performance in Melbourne, it seemed you were much more confident than last year. The Lewis Hamilton we saw in Australia was different to the Lewis we saw in Brazil. Would you agree?

LH: I think after a long season, it takes some time to have a comedown but also rebuild and start building on the foundations you made in the previous season. I think having a very good season last year, perhaps not with the best ending, I learned so much. So going into this season I started at a much higher point than I did last year. My confidence is up, my training has been much better building up to the first race than it was last year, just because we experienced it and we know what to do. So, I think overall I am in much better shape I think.

Q. A lot of the GPDA members are talking that they would like you to come onboard, although understand the reasons you do not want to. Do you feel under any pressure to make a decision?

LH: No. I am quite comfortable with the way I am. The great thing is that Pedro came out with a comment this week ? so I don't think I should be pressured into doing anything at any point.

Q. But we are talking about a big issue of safety?

LH: As I said, Pedro has made his comment. I would like to move on from that.

Q. Are you the kind of driver who likes to be in front and leading, or is it easier in a way coming from behind?

LH: It is definitely easier chasing ? that is the way it is I think. In my career, I have always found it easier coming from the back. Chasing is slightly different to defending, to guess. But I don't have problems with either. As a driver you have to work on those different areas and try to improve. I am just as comfortable leading a race as I am chasing. Obviously, I would much rather be where I am right now, than having to recover from problems.

Q. In championship terms, do you still see Kimi Raikkonen as the champion and you are chasing him?

LH: He is the world champion. He is the guy I am here to beat.

Q. What do you expect of Ferrari?

LH: I am not really sure. Hopefully they will have a better weekend, I don't think they can have much of a worse weekend than they did last weekend. I am sure they will recover and do a better job this weekend. They were quite strong here last year as well, especially during a race. So we have to watch out for them.

Q. In Melbourne a lot of drivers were making mistakes under braking, with some coping better with the lack of engine braking. Have you noticed a difference in a race weekend?

LH: Yes, but I think everyone has found through testing it is harder. Especially at the beginning of testing, people were going off all the time. It is tough when you go into the race with a heavy fuel loads, and slightly different braking points. The car reacts slightly different when you are behind someone with dirty air, and managing the tyres ? you have to be a little bit more focused than you were last year that is for sure.

The last year, when you have a slight lapse of concentration, traction control may have caught it. Now there is nothing that is going to catch it for you, you have to be a little bit sharper.

Q. Did you find yourself making more mistakes in the race?

LH: Nope. It was pretty sweet!

Q. In Melbourne you said you had some speed up your sleeve and weren't going flat out. Are you able to quantify that?

LH: I don't think I need to say. That is for me to know, and you to try and guess! The car felt good, being in the front you are able to pace yourself, and I felt on top of things. I am not going to say that I could have gone half a second faster, because you never really know.

I was still pushing, it wasn't the case I was short-shifting everywhere. Last year everything was new to me so I was on the limit everywhere, I was on the limit in the pit lane, on the exit, on the first lap and to the end. Perhaps you consume more energy mentally and physically when I need it. This year I have it a lot more under control, so I feel I controlled it a lot better strategically and in physical terms.