Author Topic: Hakkinen: McLaren can handle drivers  (Read 2380 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hakkinen: McLaren can handle drivers
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:46:36 PM »

By Glenn Freeman and Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, July 31st 2007, 11:27 GMT

Two-time world champion Mika Hakkinen believes McLaren will have no problems dealing with the rivalry between Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton.

Two-time champion Alonso and rookie Hamilton are embroiled in a close battle for this year's title, the Briton now just two points ahead of the Spaniard.

Hakkinen, who met with both drivers during the shooting of new TV commercial recently, said their battle reminds him of the fight he had with David Coulthard when he was at McLaren.

And although the Finn reckons the situation is difficult to handle, he believes McLaren boss Ron Dennis will keep it under control.

"I had a good talk with them, and it was very interesting," Hakkinen said. "It reminds me of the time when I was with DC (Coulthard) and I could feel the heat between them. It's normal.

"From the outside it is possible that it can look like more than that, but I think they are working very close together still, they have to, but it's tough.

"It's a very difficult situation. But Ron can give them a direction and instructions, and advice. He has experience from many years, it started with Prost and Lauda, and there are so many drivers that have been fighting for the championship, so he has the experience to give the instructions.

"I think he is using his experience with Fernando and Lewis to the maximum level that he can. I don't think it will become a problem. The best driver will win at the end of the day, that is what is going to happen."