Author Topic: McLaren feared Hamilton title was lost  (Read 2024 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
McLaren feared Hamilton title was lost
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »

By Jonathan Noble    Monday, November 3rd 2008, 14:04 GMT

Lewis Hamilton during the Brazilian GPMcLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh has confessed that he feared the team had blown their world championship chances in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Lewis Hamilton only needed to finish fifth to guarantee himself the title, but started the final lap in sixth spot - and with little apparent chance of overtaking Sebastian Vettel just ahead of him.

However, a downpour hindered the progress of Toyota's Timo Glock on the final lap, as the German was running on dry tyres, and allowed Hamilton to snatch the position he needed just two corners from home.

Although the team were confident that Hamilton would be able to catch Glock on that final lap, Whitmarsh has admitted there was a brief period of time when he thought it was too late.

"Well, you worry ? and you never doubt the quality of Lewis," he said. "But certainly, despite all the predictions and the analysis, I wondered whether the prediction that we would catch Glock would come about.

"We were saying: 'Vettel is in front, don't take risks but Glock is on dry tyres and you should catch him this lap'. But then you start to think, is this really going to happen?"

He added: "We were looking at a GPS prediction, and we believed we could catch Glock, but I looked up at the screen as we crossed the line and I could not see him. Then I looked back at the screen.

"We knew he was on the wrong tyre for the conditions. We knew he was losing temperature, and we expected him to come back quickly to us. It is all science, all maths, all prediction, and you like to believe it. But then you start to wonder ? have you got it right or has this gone horribly wrong for us?

"Fortunately it came well and Lewis kept his head. He drove a terrific race for a piece of history made today.

"To say it was textbook makes it sound pretty unemotional, because it was pretty damn tense through the whole team I can tell you."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: McLaren feared Hamilton title was lost
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »
Whitmarsh: Glock was always the target

By Simon Strang    Sunday, November 2nd 2008, 21:05 GMT

McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh says the team told Lewis Hamilton to focus on catching Timo Glock and forget about chasing Sebastian Vettel, as he frantically pursued a fifth place finish to secure his first world championship title in the final laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Hamilton had to finish fifth to win the title, but lost the position to Sebastian Vettel in slippery conditions with three laps to go.

But while all the other front-runners stopped for intermediate tyres, Glock gambled on sticking with dries, and quickly lost ground to Hamilton and Vettel on the last lap as the rain got heavier.

"We knew we couldn't take any risks," Whitmarsh told ITV. "We couldn't take any risks with Vettel, he is a young charger, we were saying to Lewis just take it easy.

"We knew we were racing Glock. We came here for fifth place, we could see Glock, we had the GPS and we could see Glock coming back towards us. We had the conviction, that we were going to catch him.

"But then you start to worry, 'Is it raining as hard as we think it is?', 'Are we going to catch him?' staring at the predictions and wondering whether we had got this wrong."

Whitmarsh added that the McLaren pitwall was adamant that Glock was the target.

Hamilton eventually passed the Toyota driver on the run up the hill in an incredible dash to the flag.

"Obviously we told Lewis, don't worry about Vettel, Glock's on dry tyres, you are going to find him in that last lap, but you know, until you do it, you haven't done it!" he said. "Lewis kept his cool.

"I'm sure he was much cooler than the rest of us on the pitwall anyway."