Author Topic: Hakkinen hits out at penalty  (Read 2208 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hakkinen hits out at penalty
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:08:02 PM »
By Glenn Freeman Wednesday, October 10th 2007, 11:12 GMT

Mika Hakkinen has expressed his disappointment with the race officials who penalised him for his collision with Martin Tomczyk at Barcelona.

The Finn was fined 20,000 euros and given a 10-place grid penalty for his part in the incident, which occurred when he tried to take the lead from Tomczyk early in the Spanish race.

Race officials deemed that Hakkinen had caused an avoidable incident, but the former Formula One world champion did not comment on the penalty at the time as he had already left the circuit.

"I consider inappropriate the fine of 20,000 euros for the race accident with Martin Tomczyk in Barcelona," said Hakkinen.

"However, I look ahead relaxed. During my Formula One career with 162 Grands Prix and 29 DTM races I never had the reputation of an unfair driver and it will remain like this.

"Despite my penalty, which will put me down the grid by 10 places, I want to demonstrate also in Hockenheim how good our team perform."

Hakkinen's HWA-Mercedes team decided against appealing the penalty, as the Spanish motorsport authorities would not have been able to hear the case before the DTM finale at Hockenheim this weekend.