Author Topic: Schumacher pins hopes on wet weekend to reach podium at Silverstone  (Read 1608 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
By Jonathan Noble    Friday, July 8th 2011, 10:55 GMT

Michael Schumacher, MercedesMichael Schumacher says his hopes of a podium finish in the British Grand Prix will depend on the wet weather staying around for the whole of the weekend.

The German's Mercedes GP team has struggled to find the pace needed to challenge right at the front of the field, and the outfit admits it needs to make some solid progress with its car before it will be in a position to fight for wins.

However, on the back of a strong performance from Schumacher in the rain-hit Canadian GP, hopes are high that the outfit could punch above its weight if the poor weather that has blighted the build-up to the Silverstone event stays put.

"I think in the rain we can physically talk about a podium, whereas in the dry although we might have an improvement in the car - a podium I guess would be out of reach," explained Schumacher.

"Having a home race which most of the teams do have here in a way, having our guys working very hard, I would obviously like to give them some pleasure and some fun and a good moment.

"We have a Sunday evening barbecue that we all meet together so it would be great to come home to the base with something in my hands."

Schumacher also said he was unsure about the impact that the blown diffuser regulation tweaks for this weekend's British Grand Prix will have on his team.

"I don't think it will make a huge difference no. It will be different in details but probably invisible for most of us."