Author Topic: Alonso stays cool on title chances  (Read 2033 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Alonso stays cool on title chances
« on: June 22, 2007, 09:33:17 PM »
By Pablo Elizalde Friday, June 22nd 2007, 15:21 GMT

World champion Fernando Alonso is staying calm about his championship situation and reckons there is still plenty of time to recover.

The Spanish driver has dropped 10 points behind McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton after the Briton took straight victories in Canada and USA to continue with his flawless season.

Rookie Hamilton has finished on the podium in all seven races, having scored 58 out of a possible 70 points.

But double champion Alonso is adamant his championship chances remain intact and says the lead is at a "stone's throw".

"The current situation is fine," the Spaniard told reporters during a media event organised by sponsors Mutua Madrilena in Madrid, Spain.

"In previous years I had the advantage and now I have to make up ground, but we've only completed seven races, there are 10 to go and I'm 10 points behind. I'm at a stone's throw of the championship lead.

"If I'm 10 points behind it's because I've done worse than him, or because I haven't been as lucky, but I have to gain 11 points on him by being better."

He added: "To win you have to be consistent and lucky, like I was with the constant engines failures Kimi (Raikkonen) had in 2005, or like in 2006, when Michael (Schumacher) had an engine failure with two races to go. Now luck is on Hamilton's side."