Author Topic: DTM 2009 ? Press Release No. 10  (Read 2090 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
DTM 2009 ? Press Release No. 10
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »

New cars, new rules, a new track ? the 2009 DTM season

DTM       

Wiesbaden. With less than four weeks to go before the start of the 2009 DTM season at the Hockenheimring Baden-W?rttemberg, the most popular international touring car series presented itself to its fans in the sports city of D?sseldorf. All the 19 drivers competing in this year?s series were present at the official kick-off press conference at the ?Meilenwerk?, led by reigning DTM champion Timo Scheider (Audi). ?I am really looking forward to this season, because for the first time, I am the one the others are trying to catch instead of the other way round. Of course, I want to defend my title and make the Audi the winning car for the third time in a row?, Scheider said about the tenth season since the series? rebirth in 2000. A third title for the brand from Ingolstadt would be a new feat in the DTM. Next to Scheider, two times? DTM champion Mattias Ekstr?m (S), Le Mans record winner Tom Kristensen (DK) and Martin Tomczyk (D) are also racing the new Audi A4 DTM.

One who is still among the most popular for the fans is Ralf Schumacher. The former Formula 1 driver, now racing for Mercedes-Benz, is going into his second season in the DTM and has high ambitions: ?Of course, I haven?t become a perfect DTM driver overnight, but I want to score points. It would be great if I can achieve a podium finish.? Together with Schumacher, former DTM champion Gary Paffett (GB), Bruno Spengler (CDN) and Scotsman Paul di Resta will be racing the current C-Class of the 2009 model year.

The driver line-up includes eleven Audi drivers and eight Mercedes-Benz drivers. With seven competitors, Germany has the largest contingent, followed by Great Britain with six drivers. DTM rookies for this year are Dane Christian Bakkerud and German Johannes Seidlitz, both with Audi. With Susie Stoddart (Mercedes-Benz) and Katherine Legge (Audi), two lady racers are competing for points as well. Audi motorsport director dr. Wolfgang Ullrich said about the upcoming season: ?Of course, defending the title is our goal. Winning it for the third time is our dream.? Norbert Haug, Mercedes-Benz motorsport director, is also well prepared for the season: ?Our C-Class will be fit for the battle for the title. I am looking forward to a great season opener at Hockenheim.?

The 2009 DTM season comprises ten rounds. Traditionally, the Hockenheimring Baden-W?rttemberg is the venue for the season opener and the finale. Further rounds are being held at the Motorsport Arena Oschersleben, the EuroSpeedway Lausitz, the N?rburgring and the Norisring in Nuremberg. Thus, the series has rounds all over Germany. In other European countries, motorsport fans have the chance to enjoy the spectacular touring car action, too. This year, races are planned at Zandvoort in The Netherlands, at Brands Hatch (UK), at the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona and, for the first time, at the traditional venue of Dijon-Prenois in the French Burgundy-region.

For all those who can?t be at the race tracks themselves, TV partner ARD will be broadcasting all qualifying sessions and races live. On Saturday, the airtime is being extended by half an hour to a total of 90 minutes. Coverage also includes broadcasting of the Formula 3 Euro Series race.

ITR chairman Hans Werner Aufrecht is looking forward to an exciting DTM season and already now, he is proud of the fact that all the DTM?s partners have remained on board for this year. The contract with ARAL could already be extended. ?We have cut costs as well, but without any effect on the quality. Spectators will not notice anything of it?, said Aufrecht. The eldest driver in the field, 41-year old Tom Kristensen, summed up the anticipation for the upcoming season in his own way: ?Motorsport is just as cool as it used to be in the past.?

DTM regulations were improved a little bit further. Compared to previous years, the DTM time schedule on race weekends has been comprised. The 30 minutes? roll-out session will now take place late on Friday afternoon. Qualifying will follow on Saturday afternoon from 13.35 h after two and a half hours of free practice in the morning.

As of this season, the shoot-out qualifying to determine the starting grid positions for the DTM will include four heats instead of previously two. After the first 14 minutes, the fastest 14 drivers will move up into the second heat. In the second session, the remaining drivers have ten minutes to qualify for the third heat with a duration of nine minutes. After this heat, the four fastest drivers will decide on the positions on the first two grid rows. In the fourth heat, every driver can only complete one timed lap. Parc Ferm? regulations are in force between the third and the fourth heat: refuelling and tyre changes are forbidden.

For the 2009 season, the DTM commission has decided the following minimum weights: cars of the 2009 generation must weigh at least 1,050 kilograms, 2008-spec cars 1,030 kilograms and 2007-spec cars 1,010 kilograms.