Author Topic: Kovalainen passed fit to race in Turkey  (Read 1896 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Kovalainen passed fit to race in Turkey
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:43 PM »

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, May 8th 2008, 09:11 GMT

Heikki KovalainenHeikki Kovalainen has been given the all-clear to compete in this weekend's Turkish Grand Prix, following a medical examination at the Istanbul circuit on Thursday morning.

A McLaren spokeswoman confirmed that the Finn, who escaped uninjured from a 145mph crash at the Spanish Grand Prix, will race alongside Lewis Hamilton.

"Following a medical examination this morning by the FIA Medical Delegate, Professor Jean-Charles Piette, and the Chief Medical Officer of the event, Dr. Cem Boneval, Heikki Kovalainen was cleared to race in the 2008 Turkish Grand Prix," said the FIA in a statement.

Kovalainen was taken to hospital with suspected concussion following his crash at the Spanish Grand Prix, and he remained under observation for one night before spending time recuperating in Barcelona.

He returned home to Finland where he resumed full fitness training late last week, stating he would have no qualms about getting back into the cockpit after the accident.

"None whatsoever, I want to get back racing as soon as possible, since the accident at Barcelona it has been my only focus," he said.

"Everyone involved in the sport, the FIA in particular, is always working on improving safety for the drivers, but Formula One is a risky business. You know that as a driver, but you don't think about it.

"If you worry about things like that, you lose focus; I guess it is just not in my psyche."