Author Topic: Kovalainen 'in good spirits' after crash  (Read 1996 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Kovalainen 'in good spirits' after crash
« on: April 28, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »

By Pablo Elizalde    Monday, April 28th 2008, 15:47 GMT

Heikki Kovalainen in SpainHeikki Kovalainen said he is in "good spirits" after his Barcelona crash and is hopeful he will be able to race at the Turkish Grand Prix.

The Finn was taken to hospital after he crashed at very high speed on lap 22 of the Barcelona race on Sunday when his McLaren's left front wheel failed.

Kovalainen stayed in hospital overnight, although CT scans showed he had no head injuries or broken bones.

The McLaren driver underwent further checks this morning and, as they all went positively, he will be released from hospital later today.

"I have a slight headache and a stiff neck, but apart from that I am feeling well and in good spirits," Kovalainen said on Monday.

"My focus is on getting better as soon as possible so I can pass the FIA medical inspection required to allow me to race in Turkey."

He added: "The team told me that the left front wheel rim might have broken which could have lead to the sudden deflation of the tyre. However we have to wait for further inspections to be able to confirm the exact cause.

"What is especially important is the fact that the monocoque withstood the heavy impact, so credit should also be given to everyone at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes for that."

Kovalainen, who was knocked unconscious in the crash, admitted he could not remember the accident.

"I don't remember anything from the accident or what happened afterwards but would obviously like to thank all the circuit emergency staff, the FIA medical team at the track and the doctors at the hospital for all their efforts in looking after me.

"Also thank you for all the messages I have received - they all mean a lot."