Author Topic: Hamilton: Ferrari will be hard to beat  (Read 1902 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hamilton: Ferrari will be hard to beat
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »

By Pablo Elizalde Friday, April 25th 2008, 16:08 GMT

Lewis Hamilton believes rivals Ferrari will be hard to beat at this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix, although he is confident his McLaren team will make progress tomorrow.

The Briton, aiming to bounce back following a dismal weekend in Bahrain, finished down in 11th position in today's practice as his team failed to find the right balance for his car despite trying many different settings.

Ferrari's championship leader Kimi Raikkonen topped both sessions, leading teammate Felipe Massa in the morning.

The McLaren driver admitted the Italian squad are favourites for the weekend.

"I wouldn't say I'm more optimistic but I wouldn't say I'm worried," Hamilton said. "I think we just have to work hard, put our heads down, and try to find the right balance.

"But it's very, very hard when you have two practice sessions when you maybe get 20 laps and you have to fight the correct balance of the car. Especially when the wind is picking up and changing. It's makes it very hard.

"I'm still pushing very, very hard for victory but Ferrari will be very, very hard to beat. And the other teams are looking very quick as well. Obviously tomorrow will be another day.

"We still have a very strong package and we are going to be competing at the front with everyone else."

Hamilton reckons today's times were not indicative of McLaren's true form, however, and he is hopeful things will get better.

"We don't do light runs in P2, so P11 doesn't really mean anything," he said. "But it was still a hard session for us. Last week when we tested, the first day the car was perfect. And then we come here and it's completely different. You have to change the set-up. It's quite an interesting circuit.

"The first long run we did was quite positive, I thought. We made so changes and the last long run was not so good, so we sort of have an idea of where we need to be going, so tomorrow should be better."

Teammate Heikki Kovalainen also had a difficult day, the Finn being hit by mechanical problems in both sessions. He wound up 16th.

"A disappointing day for me unfortunately," he said. "I managed to do a bit of running in the first session, but the time was cut short when a problem developed with the gear box oil pump and the guys had to change the gearbox between sessions.

"Then in the second practice all of a sudden I lost all power when the engine switched off and was told to pull over, and that was the end of that.

"We will have a good look at the car overnight to understand what caused the problem in the second session and then start a new day tomorrow. There is still time left and a lot can happen."