Author Topic: Kovalainen still going step by step  (Read 2051 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Kovalainen still going step by step
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Thursday, March 20th 2008, 11:47 GMT

Heikki Kovalainen says he still plans to try to improve his performance step by step despite a strong start to the season with McLaren in Australia.

"I think I'll really try and improve step by step and not to over-hit it and do mistakes like sometimes last year," said Kovalainen ahead of this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix.

"I know there is a lot more to come and I will get stronger as the year goes on - there's no question about that.

"And I will try and keep the trend going upwards. Of course, not just to cruise around but if I feel the car is performing well and I fit in with the car I will push more. And if the car doesn't feel like it's there I will back off a bit and go with the pace I can do."

The Finn, joining McLaren from Renault, looked set to finish in second place before a safety car period spoiled his chances and dropped him down the order.

Kovalainen, who last year endured a very tough debut in Melbourne, finished in fifth place after losing fourth to Fernando Alonso after mistakenly pushing the rev limiter button.

"I think the result and the race was a very big contrast to last year's race at Renault," he added. "That's always good to hear.

"I feel it anyway even if people don't tell me: I feel this team is supporting me 100 per cent and I have the same chance as Lewis. I have nothing negative to say about anyone.

"Of course, when they give you good feedback, it means you've done something good and the mistake I did ? it happens and there's nothing I can do about it now apart from make sure I don't do it again.

"People have been pretty calm about it. It's fine. This team knows my potential. I know if things go well we can do it. We'll try again this weekend."

He added: "I still need to refine my set-up of the car and give better feedback to my engineers. And I'm sure I can push a bit more under braking and slow-speed corners, I think I can find a bit more time. High-speed is quite okay."

The McLaren driver is also upbeat about his team's chances for this weekend's race in Sepang.

"I feel good about this place. Last year McLaren had a very good race and coming after Melbourne I feel even more confident and happy about our situation.

"I think we're all set for a good weekend and I look forward to driving round and feeling how the set-up is and go again. I think it's a good track, very hot and difficult conditions but a good challenge."