Author Topic: Paffett waits for Mercedes decision  (Read 2405 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Paffett waits for Mercedes decision
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:46:45 AM »
By Jonathan Noble and Glenn Freeman Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 12:37 GMT

Gary Paffett is still hopeful of being given a new car by Mercedes-Benz this year as he awaits their decision later this month on the line-up for 2008

The 2005 champion returned to the series last year in a one-year-old car, which he took to victory in the second race of the year at Oschersleben.

However, his performances were often hindered by his machinery, which left him scrapping for the lower positions in the top 10 at many races.

Mika Hakkinen's departure from the HWA-Mercedes squad means that there is one seat available in a brand new car for this season, but Paffett is still waiting to hear what the team will decide.

"Certainly my aim is to be in a new car," Paffett told autosport.com. "I am fuelled by winning races.

"We haven't totally confirmed it yet, but (staying in DTM) is certainly the plan. Hopefully we can finalise that very soon and go back racing again."

Paul di Resta could also be in line for a drive following a test with the HWA squad at Mugello in November, but Paffett is hoping that he will be able to fight for the title that he scrapped for in 2004 and 2005.

"Winning a race last year was great, but I want to be challenging for the championship," he added.

"They start testing in January, so hopefully we will have a decision soon but we haven't had a final date yet."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: Paffett waits for Mercedes decision
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »
Paffett's chances hindered by F1

By Glenn Freeman Thursday, January 17th 2008, 16:02 GMT

Former DTM champion Gary Paffett's chances of landing a drive in Mercedes' fourth brand-new C-Class this year are likely to be hindered by an increase in his Formula One testing duties with McLaren.

"We're trying to finalise things at the moment," said the 2005 champion. "My job with McLaren is getting bigger, which is fantastic for me, but it means I've got a little bit less time to dedicate to DTM."

Paul di Resta is now favourite to land the drive, which was made available by Mika Hakkinen's retirement, after his excellent rookie performances last season in a two-year-old car.

The 2006 Formula Three Euroseries champion tested for the top-line HWA squad towards the end of last year.

Fellow Britons Macau F3 Grand Prix winner Oliver Jarvis and Champ Car racer Katherine Legge are also in contention for DTM drives after testing for Audi at Almeria, Spain last month.

Jarvis, who is looking at options in GP2, Champ Car, and Formula Nippon as well as DTM, told Autosport: "I loved driving the car and DTM is something I'm considering, but it's not entirely up to me. I'm keeping my options open."