Author Topic: Mercedes boss critical of Audi drivers  (Read 2286 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Mercedes boss critical of Audi drivers
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:43:05 PM »

By Glenn Freeman Tuesday, July 31st 2007, 14:23 GMT

Mercedes have slammed Audi's drivers' driving standards after Sunday's DTM race at Zandvoort.

Audi took the first four places in the race at the Dutch circuit, but Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug believes that some of the moves by Audi drivers were unfair.

"I am absolutely fine with tough fights, but not with knocking your opponents to get through," Haug told autosport.com.

"The reality is that Bruno (Spengler), Bernd (Scheider), and Mika (Hakkinen) were all pushed. We can take losing, but we do not want to be pushed around with no penalties given."

Spengler was involved in contact with Christian Abt in the pitlane, and later with Timo Scheider, who had tapped the back of the Canadian's Mercedes several times before finding a way through.

Schneider had two collisions with Tom Kristensen during the race, while Hakkinen said that he was pushed wide by Mattias Ekstrom while the pair were battling for sixth place.

"When you push another car, this is not fair," Haug added. "That is not what you want to have. Get rid of all the pushing and we would have had a great motor race."

Audi's head of motorsport Wolfgang Ullrich said that he felt the racing was fair, and that drivers from both manufacturers had fought hard for their positions.

"It was a thrilling race with tough fights, but I think in the end it was just racing," he said. "We've reviewed some of the issues, and I think if you see the whole picture, it was just good sport."