Author Topic: Alonso predicts tight battle in China  (Read 2585 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Alonso predicts tight battle in China
« on: October 06, 2007, 04:01:33 PM »
By Jonathan Noble Friday, October 5th 2007, 08:55 GMT

World champion Fernando Alonso thinks the Chinese Grand Prix will produce a tight battle between his McLaren team and Ferrari, despite Kimi Raikkonen having the edge in first practice.

Raikkonen was fastest in both practice sessions in Shanghai but Alonso, who was second fastest, is upbeat about the progress his team have made.

"A very close practice session, with no problems throughout," he said. "As usual we worked on our set-up in the morning and made some good progress there, and then in the afternoon we concentrated on the tyre comparison.

"It is good to be back in China as I like this circuit. I expect it should be a very interesting weekend with the top four cars being very competitive here."

Teammate Lewis Hamilton was fourth fastest and, still waiting to hear about whether or not the race stewards will take any action over his driving behind the safety car at the Japanese Grand Prix, he was equally confident.

"Both sessions went pretty smoothly, and I was able to get a good handle on this circuit, the sixth new one for me this year and completed the planned programme for today," said the Briton.

"It is a nice track, and the car felt good to drive. I am looking forward to the rest of the weekend where I expect that we have every chance for another strong result."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Alonso predicts tight battle in China
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 04:02:23 PM »
China Friday quotes: McLaren

Friday, October 5th 2007, 08:56 GMT

Fernando Alonso - 2nd: "A very close practice session, with no problems throughout. As usual we worked on our set-up in the morning and made some good progress there, and then in the afternoon we concentrated on the tyre comparison. It is good to be back in China as I like this circuit. I expect it should be a very interesting weekend with the top four cars being very competitive here."

Lewis Hamilton - 4th: "Both sessions went pretty smoothly, and I was able to get a good handle on this circuit, the sixth new one for me this year and completed the planned programme for today. It is a nice track, and the car felt good to drive. I am looking forward to the rest of the weekend where I expect that we have every chance for another strong result."

Ron Dennis: "A trouble free two sessions, where we made good progress on the set up of the cars. The times have been close and consistent, so we will have to look to see where we may be able to gain an advantage over our main competitiors over night. However we are happy with the performance so far and expect to be competitive all weekend."

Norbert Haug: "As usual the first four are close together. Today we have done what had been planned, and the basis for a good result is there."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Alonso predicts tight battle in China
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 04:52:05 PM »
Alonso: I believe in miracles

By Nick Mulvenney Thursday, October 4th 2007, 10:53 GMT

Fernando Alonso still believes a miracle could take him past McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton to a third successive Formula One world title.

The 26-year-old world champion trails his British rookie rival by 12 points with a maximum of 20 up for grabs at this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix and the season finale in Brazil two weeks later.

"I believe in miracles for sure," the Spaniard told a news conference on Thursday. "Anything can happen.

"Formula One is unpredictable, on many occasions with wet races and so on, and if you say now it is maybe rainy again on Sunday, anything can happen.

"Until mathematically you are out of the chance to win the championship, you don't give up."

Alonso, who has won four races so far this season, said he liked the Shanghai International Circuit.

"I won once and finished second here last year so I always have good memories of this track," he said.

"But 12 points behind in the championship with two races to go, it's not the perfect position. We just need to concentrate on doing the best two races we can and have fun."

Alonso won his two world titles with Renault and team boss Flavio Briatore has made it no secret he would be welcomed back, further fuelling speculation the Spaniard will not see out his contract with McLaren.

"This is not the time to speak about next year," Alonso said. "I'm trying to win the next two races and when the championship is finished, we'll see."

He admitted, though, that he had experienced more "difficult moments" than he expected this year and could not wait for the end of the season.

"I'm looking forward to it a lot, no doubt," he said.