Author Topic: Hamilton storms to Chinese GP pole  (Read 2899 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hamilton storms to Chinese GP pole
« on: October 06, 2007, 01:56:20 PM »
by Matt Beer Saturday, October 6th 2007, 07:01 GMT

Lewis Hamilton put himself in the ideal position to clinch the world championship title by taking pole position at Shanghai.

His McLaren teammate and title rival Fernando Alonso could only manage fourth position, six tenths of a second off the pace.

Kimi Raikkonen - who had dominated the weekend until Q3 - will start second ahead of Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa.

The first two sessions of qualifying suggested that Raikkonen was on course for a commanding pole position.

After suffering a hydraulic leak at the end of final practice, the Finn began Q1 with an installation lap to check his Ferrari before setting the fastest time of the segment by exactly a tenth of a second.

In his wake, Massa, Hamilton and Alonso were all within 0.017 seconds of each other's times.

Raikkonen then proved dominant in Q2. While his three main rivals remaining tightly-bunched, lapping 0.102 seconds apart, the Finn was quickest by a comfortable 0.415 seconds.

But in Q3 it was Massa who emerged fastest by 0.4 seconds after the first flying laps, with Raikkonen second ahead of Hamilton.

The Briton then found another 0.7 seconds on his last run to leap up to pole position, and Raikkonen's response fell short by 0.136 seconds.

Massa failed to improve on his initial flying lap and had to settle for third, with Alonso a further three tenths of a second slower on the outside of the second row.

David Coulthard secured his best qualifying position of the year by taking fifth for Red Bull - two places and half a second clear of teammate Mark Webber.

Ralf Schumacher split the pair, the Toyota driver continuing his strong practice form by securing sixth on the grid. He will start seven places ahead of teammate Jarno Trulli, who did not get beyond Q2.

The BMWs had a less successful qualifying than usual and ended up eighth and ninth, with Jenson Button completing the top ten after a strong run for Honda.

After their dramatic race at Fuji, Toro Rosso produced their best dry qualifying performance yet in China. Vitantonio Liuzzi and Sebastian Vettel will share the sixth row, having comfortably got through Q1, where they had been eighth and ninth fastest.

Several big names were eliminated in the first session as the incredibly close times in the midfield - where just 0.284 seconds covered eighth to 18th places - punished any slightly imperfect laps.

Honda's Rubens Barrichello, Renault's Giancarlo Fisichella and Williams' Alex Wurz were pushed down to 17th, 18th and 19th positions in the final seconds of Q1.

While Barrichello and Wurz had both been knocked out in Q1 on six occasions already this season, this was Fisichella's worst qualifying performance in over three years, although he had only been 0.065 seconds slower than teammate Heikki Kovalainen in the segment.

Kovalainen did not get much further, running wide at the final corner on his last lap in Q2 and ending up 14th, ahead of Anthony Davidson and Nico Rosberg - whose run of five consecutive Q3 appearances ended as he struggled to 16th for Williams.

Takuma Sato could not match his Super Aguri teammate Davidson's performance and was 20th ahead of the two Spykers, who had not been able to replicate their Fuji pace at Shanghai and remained at the back of the field.

China qualifying breakdown Session 1 Session 2 Session 3
Pos Driver Team Pos Time Lap Pos Time Lap Pos Time Lap
1. Hamilton McLaren 3. 1:35.798 3 4. 1:35.898 3 1. 1:35.908 10
2. Raikkonen Ferrari 1. 1:35.692 4 1. 1:35.381 3 2. 1:36.044 10
3. Massa Ferrari 2. 1:35.792 3 2. 1:35.796 3 3. 1:36.221 10
4. Alonso McLaren 4. 1:35.809 3 3. 1:35.845 3 4. 1:36.576 10
5. Coulthard Red Bull 7. 1:36.930 6 7. 1:36.252 6 5. 1:37.619 10
6. R.Schumacher Toyota 11. 1:37.135 7 9. 1:36.709 6 6. 1:38.013 10
7. Webber Red Bull 13. 1:37.199 6 8. 1:36.602 6 7. 1:38.153 10
8. Heidfeld BMW Sauber 6. 1:36.737 5 6. 1:36.217 6 8. 1:38.455 10
9. Kubica BMW Sauber 5. 1:36.309 4 5. 1:36.116 6 9. 1:38.472 10
10. Button Honda 10. 1:37.092 6 10. 1:36.771 6 10. 1:39.285 10
11. Liuzzi Toro Rosso 9. 1:37.047 6 11. 1:36.862 6   
12. Vettel Toro Rosso 8. 1:37.006 6 12. 1:36.891 6   
13. Trulli Toyota 15. 1:37.209 7 13. 1:36.959 6   
14. Kovalainen Renault 16. 1:37.225 6 14. 1:36.991 6   
15. Davidson Super Aguri 14. 1:37.203 6 15. 1:37.247 6   
16. Rosberg Williams 12. 1:37.144 7 16. 1:37.483 6   
17. Barrichello Honda 17. 1:37.251 6       
18. Fisichella Renault 18. 1:37.290 7       
19. Wurz Williams 19. 1:37.456 6       
20. Sato Super Aguri 20. 1:38.218 6       
21. Sutil Spyker 21. 1:38.668 8       
22. Yamamoto Spyker 22. 1:39.336 7

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Hamilton storms to Chinese GP pole
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
Post-qualifying press conference - China

Saturday, October 6th 2007, 10:24 GMT

TV Unilaterals

Q. Lewis, difficult to know where to start. What about the emotions you have faced and the ups and downs just to get to this point?

Lewis Hamilton: This weekend? It's been a bit of a rollercoaster and quite an emotional period for me. I was turning up after the great weekend in Fuji and getting here nice and early and finding that they were going to investigate the way I behaved under the Safety Car in Japan. I thought immediately, I am going to get a penalty, but thankfully I didn't and with the team support we pulled through it.

Yesterday was a tough day with the testing and that in the back of your mind. It is not easy to forget about, not knowing if you were going to have your points or your win taken away. But I think it was a good decision by the FIA. Then we came here this morning, still not really having the pace of these two here and Fernando.

But I was just chipping away and I'm thrilled to get pole position because going into qualifying I didn't think I had the pace of Fernando. I knew that if I just worked at it and didn't overdo it, I might just be able to do it and I did, so I'm really happy.

Q. As you say, most predictions seemed to suggest that Ferrari would have the edge but you are on the pole. What about that and the strategy to use the harder of the two Bridgestone tyres on the first of your two runs?

LH: I was quite confident we would have the pace of the Ferrari, over one lap anyway even if generally they have been consistent and, I think, looking after the tyres a bit better than us. I really needed to see which tyre was the best, the option or the harder tyre, so I did the first run on the harder one and then I took the risk and went for it on the soft for the last run.

Q. You were the first to come in, therefore giving yourself a bit of cushion in terms of being able to warm up the soft tyre?

LH: Yeah, it gave me a bit of breathing space to relax and use the tyre a little bit better.

Q. Kimi, a strong performance. You had hydraulic problems at the end of P3. Did that have any impact and how was your qualifying session?

Kimi Raikkonen: Yeah, it was okay, no problem. We had good speed yesterday and also in practice this morning. And also in qualifying. I'm very happy with the car and I think we will have a good car in the race and I think there could be different fuel loads in the cars. It has been a good weekend so far.

Q. Kimi, a great drive from you, like Lewis, in the Japanese GP. The weather forecast for tomorrow is for rain. Your thoughts on a wet Chinese GP?

KR: Last time when I was here it was wet. It won't be as bad as Fuji, I think the visibility should be better and so I don't think it will be too bad and I am not too concerned about the weather.

Q. Felipe, Kimi implied that there could be some strategy going on in terms of fuel load, so your perspective on qualifying?

Felipe Massa: It was okay. I did a very good lap on the first attempt and then just lost the car on the second one. I wasn't able to fight at the front because of that. The car was pretty good but I just came into Turn Eleven too quick, too aggressive, and just lost the rear end. So it was not a very good lap on the last set of tyres but it's okay. I'm starting in the top three and let's see what is going to happen. The forecast is for rain and so it could be a bit of a lottery.

Q. The detail of that incident you had - was it a different feel on that set of tyres or was it just you pushing a bit hard?

FM: No, it wasn't the tyres, it's just that in qualifying there are four cars and nobody knows who is going to be first. You need to push and take some risks sometimes and sometimes it doesn't work. It was like that. There was nothing wrong with the set-up of the car.

Q. Lewis, you don't need to be told it could be a special day tomorrow. How are you going to prepare for it? Indeed, it could be a wet race as well?

LH: I am not particularly bothered if it is wet or dry. With the experience in Fuji, that has given me confidence in the wet. I haven't been here before, so obviously it will be tricky either way but I'm in the best position to start the race and I feel very optimistic. I've got a good car, I know the team will do a good job and for me the way I approach tomorrow will be the same as every race. I want to win, do a good job for the team and if I do that it might be a good day for us, so fingers crossed.

Press Conference

Q. Lewis, you looked like you enjoyed that one?

LH: I always enjoy getting pole position. Even just qualifying generally, if you don't get pole it's still quite intense and quite a rush. It's not an easy thing knowing that you only have one opportunity on the tyres and it's the difference between pole position and fifth or something. But the team did a very good job. We changed our strategy a bit getting me out earlier, which gave us a bit more leverage time-wise and I'm very pleased.

Q. What was the strategy behind using just the one set of soft tyres?

LH: I wasn't sure which was best. Normally the soft is best but I was struggling to manage the tyre and make it last for a single lap. So in Q1 I used the hard tyre and in Q2 the soft, and I was still unsure which one was better. So in Q3 we went into the first run with the hard tyre and then I said, let's just go for it, and I went for the soft tyre and risked it. Also the Ferraris have been on the softer tyre which seemed to work, so I just had to do it.

Q. We are expecting bad weather tomorrow. How much did that colour your strategy for qualifying and even the set-up?

LH: Well, there's a 70-80% chance of rain tomorrow but the weather looked pretty good although the wind was picking up and you never know what is going to happen here. It rained here last year but we couldn't go into qualifying saying let's set the car up for the wet, we just had to do the best job we could. Everyone will be in the same boat tomorrow if it does rain so, strategy-wise, we stuck to what we were going to do anyway. We've covered the ground and I think we are in a good position.

Q. And from a championship point of view? Obviously pole position couldn't be better.

LH: Absolutely. It's the place I needed to be and obviously this weekend I came here on Friday, I was quite happy with my first lap yesterday, being my first time here. I only walked the majority of the track in the dark. But I managed to do quite a good time at the beginning and to improve on that was not easy and I think the more experienced guys had a slight advantage.

It's not an easy circuit, so I've just been chipping away at it and chipping away and after P3 I still didn't have the exact pace I wanted and straight out in qualifying I managed to find the majority of it (interrupted by sound problem). Is there a DJ in the house?

Q. Because in fact up until now, you've been fourth most of the time in the sessions, so have there been set-up problems?

LH: Well, as you know, you go into qualifying with one set-up and you can't change it. The only thing you can do is opt for a little bit more or less front wing. I've been really happy with my balance. The car was right, I just needed to adapt my driving in certain areas and there's so little time to do that.

You attack one lap and you plan to do something and you might overshoot the corner or whatever, so bit-by-bit I was trying to improve my driving style and out there, there was a better time I was looking for and for that lap, I think the car was pretty sweet and it was a very smooth lap and the rhythm was really good.

Q. Kimi, you've been fastest in all sessions; a bit disappointed not to be on pole?

KR: For sure we would rather be on pole position but I think we have very good speed in the car. It's been good all weekend, so probably there's different fuel loads in the cars, but nevertheless, I'm pretty happy. I think it's good.

Q. The problem this morning, did that affect you at all?

KR: No, it was just the power steering. It was an unfortunate thing but it didn't hurt us really. We planned to do some more laps but it didn't really hurt us at all.

Q. The fact that you're on the front row with Lewis means you have direct possibility to fight for this race, for this championship.

KR: I think for this race. The championship isn't looking too good but you never know. I think we should have a good car for tomorrow, whatever the conditions are, so I'm quite confident.

Q. Is it too much of a gamble to go for a wet set-up?

KR: I don't know. We haven't done so. It's up to everybody to choose whatever they think is going to happen tomorrow but some cars probably need some different things for wet and then dry for others.

Q. Your wet and dry set-ups are relatively close, are they?

KR: We had exactly the dry set-up in the last race and it seemed to work pretty well, so I'm not worrying about it if it's raining.

Q. Felipe, obviously important for you to be ahead of Fernando to help Kimi but how much of a supporting role can you play?

FM: Well, it depends on Lewis. There's not so much that can be done in a race like that. For sure, I'm going to start tomorrow trying to win. That's what I'm going to do. If you see that maybe Lewis is not in the points, and Kimi still has a chance, then maybe we think about the team, but I think Lewis needs to be behind sixth or sixth for Kimi to still have a chance to fight in the last race. So I'm going to start tomorrow for him.

Q. A good qualifying for you?

FM: Yeah, I just lost a little bit on the last attempt. At the first attempt I did a very good lap and on the last one I just lost the rear going into turn eleven and for sure, I lost very important time which, in qualifying like that, when you see four cars completely on the limit and very close to each other, you need to risk and try the best you can. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and this time it didn't work when I tried on the last set of tyres.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »
Hamilton 'thrilled' after grabbing pole

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, October 6th 2007, 07:28 GMT

Lewis Hamilton said he was 'thrilled' to get pole position after riding what he has called a rollercoaster of emotions this weekend.

Having arrived in China facing a stewards' investigation into his driving behind the safety car at the Japanese Grand Prix, the world championship leader was only given the all-clear late on Friday evening.

And having headed into qualifying with Ferrari clear favourites to take pole position, Hamilton admitted he dug deep to get the front spot.

"This weekend has been a bit of a rollercoaster," he said. "It's been quite an emotional trip. I turned up after last weekend, which was a great weekend in Fuji, and came here nice and early.

"On Thursday I found out that I was going to be investigated for the way I was behaving in the race. I thought immediately that I was going to get a penalty for sure. But thankfully with the team support we pulled through it.

"Yesterday was a tough day of testing with that at the back of my mind, and it was not easy to forget about it with the possibility of points being taken away.

"But then I came here this morning still not having the pace of these two here (Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa) and Fernando. It was my first time here, so I kept chipping away and was thrilled to get the pole position, because going into qualifying I didn't have the pace of Fernando.

"I knew that if I worked at it and didn't put too much effort in I might be able to do it. So I am really, really happy."

Hamilton made the choice of doing his first new tyre run in the final session on the harder compound of tyres, before switching to the softer set for what would be his pole lap.

Speaking about that decision, Hamilton said: "I was quite confident that we would have the pace of the Ferraris, but generally in the high speed corners they seem to be quicker.

"I think over one lap our pace is as good, if not a little bit better, and perhaps during the race they use the tyres better and are maybe a bit more consistent.

"I didn't know which option was best. I did the first run on the harder tyres and thought let's go for it - risk it for the biscuit, as my dad says. And the car was good after that."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 04:12:03 PM »
China preview quotes: McLaren

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 21:13 GMT

Fernando Alonso: "My retirement in Japan has not made it easy for me in the Championship, but there are still 20 points to be won and I am going to fight hard for each one of them. There is always a lot of talk of pressure and distractions at this time of the year, all I think about is racing and winning at Shanghai and Interlagos.

"We are all focused on this aim and giving the maximum over the next few weeks. I like to race at the Shanghai circuit, it is new but it has character, although I have mixed memories from the track. Last year was a frustrating race, whereas in 2005 I won. I hope to repeat this result this weekend!

"The track is very wide and has been designed to allow overtaking. Slipstreaming along the main back straight and then passing into the first corner is one of the main chances. You have to make sure you have as much momentum as possible when you exit turn 13, so mechanical grip is as important as making sure we have a competitive top speed."

Lewis Hamilton: "We are going into these races with a really tight Drivers' battle with only 12 points between me and Fernando. Anything is still possible but I am feeling confident and very determined and I hope we will have another couple of exciting races.

"There has been a lot of talk over the last couple of days about the Championship, but I just push that to the back of my mind. I am only focused on the next two races and doing the best I can in China and Brazil with the team.

"The last two races of this season are at tracks that I have not ever been to before. I don't see that as a problem, as this has been the case on four occasions already this season, at Melbourne, Montreal, Indy and Fuji and I was on the podium at all these races.

"From what I understand of the Shanghai circuit, it is very vast in comparison with Interlagos, so we will probably have two quite different races. Everything is too tight for me to predict what will happen, but the races in China always seem to be exciting and I feel well prepared to take on the challenge."

Martin Whitmarsh, CEO Formula 1, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes: "To have both Lewis and Fernando going into the final two races of the season with an opportunity to win the World Championship is a fantastic situation for the team. Whilst Lewis is clearly in a stronger position, it is by no means over for Fernando and we are going to have two very motivated drivers in China.

"Japan was the first race where two Vodafone McLaren Mercedes cars did not take the chequered flag. This demonstrates the competitiveness of the team this season, and we aim to maintain that level of performance this weekend in China."

Norbert Haug, Vice President, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport: "The Chinese Grand Prix has a lot of challenging aspects for the team. In Shanghai, Lewis will be able to win the World Championship; however, on the other side if he can produce the appropriate result Fernando will be able to reverse the situation and to keep his title hopes alive until the final race in Brazil.

"Of course, we always have to watch out for Kimi who still has the chance to clinch the World Championship title. The team members will go into this possibly decisive Grand Prix as focussed as into the previous 15 races, and they will do everything to ensure both Lewis and Fernando will have the best opportunities to win.

"Prior to the 16th Grand Prix of the year the World Championship is still exciting and open, although Lewis now has a significant advantage after he won in Fuji last weekend whilst Fernando retired. Both the drivers will have the same equipment and support; we obviously hope that the Formula 1 World Championship will be decided on the track under the same conditions - tough, fair and without crashes."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »
Hamilton expects life to stay the same

By Alan Baldwin Thursday, October 4th 2007, 10:37 GMT

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton played it cool on Thursday as he prepared for a Chinese Grand Prix that could transform him into Formula One's youngest champion as well as the first rookie winner.

Asked whether he was prepared "to become a real superstar", the 22-year-old Briton doubted that his life would change too much.

"I don't think it's going to make a huge difference," he told reporters at the Shanghai circuit. "I won championships in the past, it's obviously a great feeling winning a championship, but you move on and you go to the next one and you try to do it again.

"Next year I'll be more experienced, I can analyse the year, try to be fitter and to do an even better job next year," added the championship leader.

"I'm trying to keep my feet on the ground and keep on enjoying this and as long as I do that I'll stay for as long as I can. I'm 22, I've got a long way to go."

Hamilton leads Spanish teammate and double world champion Fernando Alonso by 12 points with one race remaining after Sunday.

While Alonso must hope for a miracle, Hamilton will be champion if he wins or finishes ahead of his teammate and Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

The Briton said his preparations would be no different this weekend, either.

"Again it's a track I don't know and so for me it's pretty similar to going to Fuji," he said. "Here I'm probably more at a disadvantage because I don't know the layout as well as other people do.

"I approach it in exactly the same way and the aim is to win. I don't see any reason why I should change my approach...the aim always has to be to try and win the race and if we go with that we should be okay."

How long Hamilton and Alonso remain teammates remains open to conjecture.

Hamilton's future at McLaren is assured but the Spaniard, whose relationship with his bosses has deteriorated to the point of outright coldness since he arrived from Renault in January, could be on the move.

"Now is not the time to speak about next year. I will try to win these two races and when the championship is finished we will see," Alonso said on Thursday when asked about a possible return to Renault.

He was also strangely reticent when asked whether McLaren might be able to favour Hamilton through subtle changes to tyre pressures and wing settings: "That's a difficult question. I will not answer it."

Hamilton, who has been critical of Alonso's loyalty to the team and his sense of fair play, said however that he bore the Spaniard no ill will.

"I wish him the best wherever he is. If he is with us next year, then we will work the best way we can," he said.

"I get on with Fernando well, we had a good conversation today, there is nothing wrong with us. So I think for the future, wherever he is, we will get on well."