Author Topic: Dennis disappointed by Alonso's silence  (Read 2382 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Dennis disappointed by Alonso's silence
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:02:42 PM »
By Alan Baldwin Friday, October 5th 2007, 12:24 GMT

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has expressed disappointment at double world champion Fernando Alonso's failure to defend the team against suggestions of favouritism.

Alonso was asked at the Chinese Grand Prix whether he had been treated fairly by McLaren and whether they might be somehow slowing his car to favour teammate and championship leader Lewis Hamilton.

"Difficult question...I will not answer," Alonso had replied.

Dennis, who told a hearing of the sport's governing body last month that he and his driver had not been on speaking terms since August, ruled out a suggestion at a news conference on Friday that Alonso's car might have been 'doctored'.

"There are numerous equality clauses in our contracts, they are reciprocal," he said.

"We never have, never will and certainly are not favouring either driver at the moment.

"This is a straight fight and I'm obviously disappointed that someone who really has all the knowledge should not be more direct and open with the response," said Dennis.

Hamilton, the 22-year-old rookie who has taken the sport by storm this season, can win the title on Sunday if he triumphs in Shanghai.

The Briton won in Japan last weekend and is 12 points clear of Alonso, who crashed at Fuji, with one race remaining after China.

Alonso has become increasingly estranged from McLaren after being rebuffed in his demands for favoured treatment, as champion, over his rookie teammate.

"It's not equal, it's impossible in Formula One to have the best strategy, the best everything for both cars," he said on Friday.

"Sometimes I have the advantage, sometimes Lewis has the advantage, this is normal."

Although he has a contract with McLaren for 2008, the Spaniard has been linked to a return to Renault next year and was evasive on Thursday when asked about an offer from that team's boss Flavio Briatore.

"It's not the time to speak about next year," he said.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: Dennis disappointed by Alonso's silence
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 09:19:11 AM »
Hamilton disappointed by driving criticism

By Nick Mulvenney Saturday, October 6th 2007, 12:40 GMT

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton found out just how lonely it is at the top when his driving was discussed by his peers at the Chinese Grand Prix.

The British rookie, who could win the world title on Sunday, was accused of erratic driving behind the safety car and contributing to a collision between Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber at a rainy Fuji in Japan last weekend.

The 22-year-old world championship leader went unpunished after the stewards' inquiry which followed a drivers' meeting but the frosty reception from his rivals on Friday clearly made an impression.

"Yesterday was an interesting day for me, I sat in the drivers' briefing and everyone basically had rifles ready to shoot me," said Hamilton.

"It was a strange feeling but I've had it various times in my life for obvious reasons. It was a bit disappointing because I knew a few of the drivers there and I didn't expect them to say certain things."

Hamilton, who will start from pole and needs only to beat his McLaren teammate Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen to become the first driver to win the world title in his first season, said he would use the experience to his own advantage.

"I just sat there and listened and I'll try to do a better job next time and if they're not happy with that then I don't know what I can do," he added.

"Things like yesterday can only make me stronger ... the biggest thing I've learnt to do this year is take the biggest lumps of negative energy and turn it into positives."

He said the criticism would not make his triumph any the less sweet were he to clinch the title on Sunday.

"No, not at all," he said. "At the end of the day, I'm not winning the championship through luck.

"I've worked really hard this year as have the team and I've done the best job I could with the car."

Even on the eve of possibly being crowned Formula One's youngest champion, Hamilton was still struggling to come to terms with his dream debut season.

"Never in a million years did I think I'd be challenging for the world championship in my first year."