Author Topic: Alonso: I will do my talking on the track  (Read 2408 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Alonso: I will do my talking on the track
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
By Alan Baldwin Thursday, September 27th 2007, 10:04 GMT

Formula One champion Fernando Alonso will do his talking on the track now that McLaren team boss Ron Dennis has revealed they are barely on speaking terms, the Spaniard said on Thursday.

Meeting reporters at the Japanese Grand Prix, Alonso shrugged aside media criticism of his role in a spying controversy with Ferrari that cost his McLaren team a record $100 million fine as well as the constructors' title.

He also made clear that he had neither the time nor the inclination to waste time in setting the record straight while the title battle raged.

Alonso, chasing his third title in a row, is two points behind British rookie teammate Lewis Hamilton with races in Japan, China and Brazil remaining.

"About the spying I have nothing to say...I will try to speak on the track and try to do my job," he said at the Fuji circuit.

"I really think that many of the things that have been said about the spying and about me are totally wrong and not the truth.

"But these things happen and I will not answer every day what they have been saying about me and about anything, I will not lose time on that.

"I cannot be every day and every week answering rumours and telling my point of view or my version or my truth to anyone," added Alonso.

"So at the moment...I am completely focused on the last three races and that is the truth."

Dennis said at a hearing of the governing body in Paris into the spy saga this month that he and his driver, whom he described as a 'remarkable recluse', had not been on speaking terms since the beginning of August.

Alonso said he was surprised to hear that, as they had chatted briefly while checking in at their hotel on the Friday before the Belgian Grand Prix - the day after the team boss made the remark.

The undoubtedly frosty relations were triggered by a row between the two on the morning of the Hungarian Grand Prix in August, during which Alonso revealed the existence of incriminating e-mails about leaked Ferrari data that helped seal McLaren's punishment.

The British media have accused Alonso of threatening McLaren in an attempt to force the team into giving him number one status over the sensational Hamilton, who has led the championship since April.

Recent media reports in Spain and Britain have also suggested that Alonso wants to escape his McLaren contract and return to Renault or move to Ferrari, but the driver presented a different reality.

"For next year I have a contract with this team and I don't see any problem on that," he said.

"I have been working with the engineers, with the mechanics, with everybody from the beginning of the season, until now with the same relationship," he added.

"They are all very professional, very focused on doing the best we can and we are achieving good results. I won four races, I make some good podiums and I am fighting for the world championship so everything is going quite well for me and I am happy."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Alonso: I will do my talking on the track
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:28:02 AM »
Alonso: Hamilton and I won't crash

By Pablo Elizalde Friday, September 28th 2007, 10:11 GMT

World champion Fernando Alonso says he is not concerned about him and McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton clashing on track.

The duo came close to making contact at the start of the Belgian Grand Prix, with Hamilton later criticising Alonso for what he believed was a too harsh move from the Spaniard.

Hamilton said yesterday he would talk to Alonso this weekend in order to avoid problems on track, but the two-time champion made it clear he was not worried about that, saying both were smart enough as to not crash into each other.

"Again, I think it's not very important. Spa is gone and we will talk about this weekend," Alonso told reporters. "We'll talk about this circuit and the low grip of the circuit, so it's a very normal relationship and very good."

He added: "In Spa we didn't crash. I think we will never crash into the other one. We are fighting for the world championship but at the same time we are intelligent people and we try to finish the races.

"In any incident you don't know if you'll be the one to stop in turn one, so we cannot have that risk. We all want to win, but we all want to cross the line at the end of the race so this will not happen."

Hamilton said he will do his best to beat Alonso fairly.

"Well, I didn't push him to the wall, I gave him plenty of room. I should have pushed him in the wall," joked Hamilton.

"I just try to be a fair driver, I just try to do the talking on the track, do it with the results. So, coming into this race I'm just gonna try to beat him. That's gonna hurt him more than putting him in the wall, I think.

"I won't be leaving him any room next time, as simple as that."

Alonso is two points behind Hamilton with three races remaining.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Alonso: I will do my talking on the track
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »
Hamilton: Alonso not loyal to McLaren

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Friday, September 28th 2007, 10:25 GMT

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton believes Fernando Alonso has not been loyal enough to McLaren this season.

"No," said the Briton when asked if Alonso had been loyal enough to his team.

"I think the team have gone out of their way ... as Fernando has been the world champion coming into the team, especially at the beginning of the season he's the guy that's supposed to take them to the championship, and they've bent over backwards to make him feel comfortable.

"Me and Pedro (de la Rosa) have done the same, we've been told: 'try and make Fernando feel welcome in the team'.

"We've done that, and then you saw what he did to the team," Hamilton added, refering to Alonso not attending the Paris hearing, despite McLaren asking him to go.

Alonso played an important role in the spying controversy that cost his McLaren team a record $100 million fine as well as all the constructors' points.

Alonso's relationship with team boss Ron Dennis has been very cold since a row between the two on the morning of the Hungarian Grand Prix, during which the world champion revealed the existence of incriminating e-mails about leaked Ferrari data that helped seal McLaren's punishment.

Despite his relationship with Dennis, Hamilton does not believe he will get more support from McLaren in the championship battle.

"No, I wouldn't say that," he said. "I feel as much support as anyone. I think with everything that's gone on they feel they want to win it even more. I don't feel it's more me or him. That's just between all of us really."

Hamilton leads Alonso by two points with three races to go.