Author Topic: Schumacher proud of road campaign  (Read 3427 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Schumacher proud of road campaign
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:51:48 PM »
By Jonathan Noble Monday, April 23rd 2007, 14:17 GMT

Former world champion Michael Schumacher says his support for a major new road safety campaign could provide new meaning to his life after Formula One.

Schumacher has thrown his weight behind the 'Make Roads Safe' campaign that is urging the United Nations to host a worldwide conference to address global road safety.

After appearing for a photocall in London on Monday morning, and making a speech at a conference to discuss road safety, Schumacher made it clear that the target of his involvement was to try and save the lives of the 1,000 young people who are killed on the roads every day.

When asked by autosport.com whether the satisfaction of a successful campaign would match what he got out of his victories in F1, Schumacher said: "I have seen on the other side parents that have lost their kids.

Michael Schumacher's speech
Length: 05:07. Subscribers only

"And I can see how happy I am with my kids, and I can well see how many people will be happy in the future to still have their kids and enjoy life with them.

"And that is I think something that in the future that you will look back on and make you a proud and happy man.

"I have two kids and I have seen families who have lost their kids. I saw this morning on the news about a father who had lost his daughter just going out as a pedestrian.

"If you see what is going on in their faces. Can you imagine how many policemen, how many people, have to go every day, every 30 seconds in a way, to the families and explain what has happened?

"So if after a bit of time we can come back to it and say we have changed this rate, and we have improved the safety and saved lives, then it will make me a proud man."

Schumacher believes it is vital that he uses his fame and status as F1's most successful driver to help drive the FIA-backed campaign forwards.

"(I want) to use my experience out of all the years, and to make that available to the organisation - especially through the FIA," he said. "But in particular use my status and fame to call my attention for these issues."

He added: "The credibility I have due to the success in my sport is there. Many people will accept that I know what I am talking about. But being a dad on top makes it emotionally much more binding to me."

Although Schumacher refused to speak about any Formula One related issues, he did admit that he was enjoying his retirement from the sport.

"I do, yes," he said. "It is obviously a different subject but my life is good and we are happy. So there is nothing that we miss at the moment."