Author Topic: Hamilton to demo McLaren at ROC  (Read 3588 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hamilton to demo McLaren at ROC
« on: November 18, 2008, 11:52:46 AM »

Tuesday, November 18th 2008, 08:42 GMT

Chris Hoy, Lewis HamiltonFormula One world champion Lewis Hamilton will demonstrate his McLaren Formula One car ahead of the Race of Champions next month.

The Briton, who will not be taking part in the main event, will complete a run in the championship-winning MP4-23 before he takes on another challenge.

Hamilton will then be racing triple Olympic cycling gold medallist Chris Hoy around Wembley Stadium.

The duo will not be using the machinery, as Hamilton will race a Mercedes road car while Hoy uses his bicycle on a parallel track constructed over the turf of the stadium.

"This is going to be something very special," said Hamilton. "I've done F1 demonstration runs away from race tracks before, but Wembley Stadium's completely different, the atmosphere is going to be crazy.

"It's going to be a great way to end a fantastic year, and I'm really looking forward to putting on a show to thank the fans from all over the world and my fantastic British fans for all their support. I get so much from the fans and this is a great opportunity for me to give something back.

"I will be leaving Wembley prior to the actual Race of Champions final in order to make it to the BBC Sports Personality of the Year, but putting on the demonstration is a great opportunity for me to give something back."

Hoy, who won three golds at the Beijing Games, admitted he was also looking forward to it.

"I can kick out about 2-1/2 brake horsepower so that's not going to quite match his car but I think they'll make the race as close as possible and I'll be giving it absolutely everything. I'm really looking forward to it," he said.