Author Topic: Villeneuve critical of Hamilton 'chopping'  (Read 2506 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Villeneuve critical of Hamilton 'chopping'
« on: June 06, 2007, 01:44:24 PM »
By Jonathan Noble and Steve Cooper Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 11:29 GMT

Lewis Hamilton's driving style at the start of races have come under fire from former world champion Jacques Villeneuve, who thinks the FIA has been too lenient with the McLaren star.

Hamilton is the most successful rookie in Formula One history, and has earned praise for several spectacular moves at the first corners of races.

But Villeneuve is far from impressed with what he has seen, and has questioned some aggressive defensive moves from Hamilton away from the grid.

"When will these chopping moves stop?" Villeneuve told this week's Autosport magazine. "Lewis is not getting penalised for these things ? and his behaviour off the startline has started to look the way Michael [Schumacher] used to.

"So far, he has been lucky, so we'll see if it carries on. He makes progressive moves that would have got some of the other drivers black-flagged."

Although Hamilton has finished on the podium at every race so far this year to hold joint lead in the world championship with teammate Fernando Alonso, Villeneuve still thinks the youngster has to prove himself.

"Lewis is very fast, but he still has to step up to the plate and beat Alonso," he said. "And we still haven't seen how he reacts under pressure; that will be interesting to watch."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Villeneuve critical of Hamilton 'chopping'
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:23:43 PM »
Rivals defend Hamilton's driving

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, June 7th 2007, 17:58 GMT

Lewis Hamilton's rivals have defended the McLaren rookie from accusations that his startline tactics are too aggressive and should be subject to action from the FIA.

Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve questioned Hamilton's defensive moves off the start of races, claiming that other drivers would have been punished if they had acted as the rookie did.

But Villeneuve's views have not found support in the paddock at Montreal, with Hamilton's rivals all in agreement that he has done nothing wrong.

BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld, who has started most of this season's races right behind Hamilton, has said that he was not aware of anything that could be cause for concern.

"I've not seen anything from in the car or also when I have watched the races on television afterwards - although I haven't focused specifically on him," he said when asked by autosport.com about Villeneuve's comments.

"I definitely didn't see anything...have you seen anything?"

Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber acknowledged that Hamilton had been aggressive at starts, but felt he had not overstepped the mark on what was acceptable.

"I saw a replay of Malaysia and he was a little bit cheeky with Massa, but it was alright," said the Australian. "We've all got good memories."

Williams' Alexander Wurz claimed that the controversy probably had more to do with Villeneuve trying to stay in the spotlight.

"I think Jacques might find it more and more difficult in the future to find comments that we can be asked about," he said. "I see nothing wrong with the moves he [Hamilton] is making. It's hard to defend your line."

Giancarlo Fisichella added: "Jacques says quite a lot of things in the media right now. He talks too much."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Villeneuve critical of Hamilton 'chopping'
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »
Hamilton shrugs off Villeneuve's comments

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, June 7th 2007, 20:18 GMT

Lewis Hamilton has brushed aside claims by former world champion Jacques Villeneuve that his driving is dangerous.

Villeneuve has questioned Hamilton's aggressive defensive tactics at the start of races this year, and even claimed that other drivers would have been punished for driving the same way.

But speaking about the comments in Montreal on Thursday, Hamilton said he had no case to answer for.

"Jacques deserves to have his opinions about it and I can respect that, but this is racing," said the McLaren driver. "As you can see, I think it is down to the driver to decide whether it is dangerous.

"If you are cutting across people, being dangerous and possibly taking them out, then I would totally agree. But that has not been the case in any of the races I have seen.

"It has not been dangerous up until now and I think you can see that it is for the FIA to make the choice."

Ferrari's Felipe Massa, who has enjoyed some close racing with Hamilton this year, has also denied that the Briton has done anything wrong.

"We saw in every race this year a good fight," said the Brazilian. "The stewards are there to see if anybody does anything wrong, and I don't think people did anything wrong. But I don't like to comment on these politics because it doesn't help anyone.

"For me it (Hamilton's driving) was normal, like I didn't do anything wrong in Barcelona."