Author Topic: Dennis rules out Mercedes takeover  (Read 1950 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Dennis rules out Mercedes takeover
« on: September 16, 2008, 09:01:57 AM »

By Jonathan Noble    Tuesday, September 16th 2008, 10:39 GMT

McLaren boss Ron Dennis says there is no chance of German car manufacturer Mercedes-Benz taking overall control of the Woking-based team in the near future.

There are rumours every year that Mercedes-Benz could increase the 40 percent shareholding they have in the team. But Dennis has ruled out such a possibility - claiming he sees no reason for Mercedes-Benz to increase their involvement.

"No," he told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera when asked if it was conceivable Mercedes-Benz could take over the team.

"I don't see the point; things are fine as they are. Every year, together, we discuss our plans, and we find agreement on everything."

The other shareholders in McLaren are the Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company (30 percent), Ron Dennis (15 percent) and TAG Group (Holdings) SA (15 percent).

Dennis has also ruled out any talk of him stepping down from his involvement in McLaren, despite admitting he had been thinking about it at the start of last year.

"In early 2007 I was thinking of becoming less involved in the races, it's true," he said. "Then what happened happened, and I didn't want to leave on those terms. Sooner or later something will change, because I've got other business projects planned.

"But I'll never give up on the team altogether; I'll just change the role I play. McLaren is in my blood and I'm not an employee, so no-one can sack me."

And he believes that McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh will be the man who will eventually take over his responsibility inside the company.

"He's taking on more and more responsibility, and one day he'll be the head of the whole McLaren group," said Dennis.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: Dennis rules out Mercedes takeover
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
Dennis: Ferrari relations better than ever

By Jonathan Noble    Tuesday, September 16th 2008, 09:45 GMT

Ron DennisMcLaren boss Ron Dennis says relations between his team and Ferrari are better than they have ever been in history - despite the recent Belgian Grand Prix controversy.

One year on from the peak of the 2007 spy affair, and just a few days after Lewis Hamilton was stripped of victory in Belgium for cutting a chicane in his fight with Kimi Raikkonen for the lead, Dennis insists that his dealings with Ferrari could not be better.

He claims that such a feeling came home to him on the eve of last weekend's Italian Grand Prix at Monza when he met with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo during a team principal's meeting.

"The events of 2007 are behind us; the matter has now been closed by both the FIA and Ferrari," said Dennis in an interview with Italian newspaper Corriere Della Sera.

"On the Thursday before the Italian Grand Prix, when I met Luca di Montezemolo, I smiled at the thought that he'd entered Formula One with Ferrari in 1973, while I've been involved since 1966, even if we had different types of jobs from each other in the old days.

"And now, 30 or 40 years on, we share the same passion. On track, our rivalry will always be intense - but co-operation between our two teams is now more well-established than at any time in the past."

He added: "Luca is an old friend. Granted, inevitably, our relationship has had its ups and downs as a result of the competitiveness of our respective organisations, but there's a deep and mutual respect between us.

"I also have a soft spot for Stefano Domenicali [Ferrari team principal]; he's worked his way up from the bottom to the top, and I like that: it adds incalculable added value. Stefano will do a great job, you'll see."

There had been some rumours that the Spa affair, and the fact that Ferrari and McLaren so differed in their opinions on the incident, could have an impact on the relationship between the two teams ? especially because di Montezemolo is heading the new Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA).

But Dennis has rubbished any such idea, stating that what happens on track should be treated totally separate from relations off it.

"Political considerations should be, indeed must be, separate from sporting ones," he said.

"I'm FOTA's number one supporter: FOTA will represent the teams; it will set the rules, working with the FIA; it will establish commercial criteria. FOTA is very important to the future of Formula One, and I want to be part of that future.

"There will always be discussions and arguments in Formula One, but what we're doing with FOTA is focused on thinking and working together for the good of our sport."

And such have relations between McLaren and Ferrari moved on that Dennis is even planning a dinner with di Montezemolo later this year.

"Soon, very soon - maybe in Brazil, or post-season somewhere," he said when asked if it will happen. "Win or lose, we'll have a nice dinner together."