Author Topic: DTM 2010 – Press Release No. 15  (Read 2077 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
DTM 2010 – Press Release No. 15
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
DTM presents new drivers, new circuits and new regulations

Wiesbaden. One week before the opening round of the 2010 DTM season at the Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg, the most popular international touring car series celebrated its pre-season launch in the city of Wiesbaden.

A total of 18 drivers will be battling for the DTM title this year. German Audi driver Timo Scheider is the defending champion and intends to set a new record with winning yet another title. After all, when the 31-year old succeeds in winning the title again this year, that would be his third consecutive championship and the fourth title in a row for his employer Audi. “The first few races of the season are particularly important. There you have to do well and score points. After that, the right spirit, a good car and a top team are decisive. And I have all of these”, Scheider said during the pre-season press conference. Audi motorsport director Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich added: “As the technical regulations remained unchanged, fine-tuning will make the tiny difference this season.” Next to Scheider, Oliver Jarvis (GB), Mattias Ekström (S), Martin Tomczyk (D), Alexandre Prémat (F), Mike Rockenfeller (D), Markus Winkelhock (D), Katherine Legge (GB) and new signing Miguel Molina (E) will be fighting for points with the Audi A4 DTM.

With ex-Formula 1 driver David Coulthard, Mercedes-Benz presented a prominent new driver. “I have been racing for 26 years and had a break in 2009. I am really looking forward to the DTM, because I did better and better in every test I took part in”, said Coulthard. Mercedes-Benz motorsport director Norbert Haug is particularly happy with his new team member: “David is a great race driver, a likeable person and very competent. He perfectly fits to us.” Mercedes-Benz crowd favourite Ralf Schumacher has clear goals: “I am having a lot of fun in the DTM. My learning time should be finished by now and thus, podium places are my goal.” With Cong Fu Cheng, a Chinese driver is racing in the DTM for the first time. The other drivers with an AMG-Mercedes C-Class are Gary Paffett (GB), Bruno Spengler (CDN), Paul Di Resta (GB), Jamie Green (GB), Susie Stoddart (GB) and Maro Engel (D).

The 18 drivers’ field in 2010 has been made up of drivers from seven countries. With seven drivers, Great Britain has the strongest presence, followed by Germany with six drivers. The calendar includes ten rounds in five countries and on two continents. Traditionally, the DTM has two rounds at the Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg. With further events at the EuroSpeedway Lausitz, the Norisring in Nuremberg and the Motorsport Arena Oschersleben, which was elected as the Organiser of the Year 2009, the DTM is nearly covering all of Germany. Other venues on the calendar are the traditional circuits of Zandvoort in The Netherlands and Brands Hatch in the UK. New additions to the DTM schedule are the rounds at Valencia in Spain and Shanghai. For the first time, China will host the DTM season finale.

For all those who aren’t able to come and watch the DTM live at the circuits, TV partner ARD is broadcasting all qualifying sessions and races live. On Saturday, the ARD will be reporting from 13.30 till 15.00 h and on Sunday from 13.45 till 15.30 h from the DTM circuits.

ITR chairman Hans Werner Aufrecht is expecting a thrilling season, in spite of the regulations remaining unchanged: „It is obvious that the DTM is responding to the current economic situation, too. Therefore, we have decided to reduce the costly development of the cars. Nevertheless, I am expecting great competition at the track and I am looking forward to the new season.” Additionally, result-based handicap weights have been abandoned for the 2010 season. 2009-spec cars will have a minimum weight of 1050 kg, the minimum weight for 2008-spec cars is 1025 kg.