Author Topic: Button fuels McLaren speculation  (Read 1773 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Button fuels McLaren speculation
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:32:45 AM »
source Autosport

By Matt Beer    Saturday, November 14th 2009, 09:59 GMT

Jenson ButtonWorld champion Jenson Button has heightened speculation about his 2010 plans by visiting the McLaren factory.

Button has yet to finalise a new deal with Brawn GP, despite both parties repeatedly intimating that their preferred - and most likely - option is to stay together for next season, and in recent weeks McLaren has been rumoured as an alternative destination.

The Woking team had been expected to sign Kimi Raikkonen to partner Lewis Hamilton next year, but this deal has also yet to come to fruition, although Raikkonen's management are reported to have made their own visit to McLaren earlier this week.

Button visited McLaren's headquarters yesterday for a meeting that the team described to the British press as "a quick hello", although the Guardian newspaper reports that he was given a guided tour by team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

The stumbling block in Brawn's negotiations with Button is understood to be a financial issue. Button took a pay cut this year to help the team stay afloat in the wake of Honda's withdrawal from Formula 1, but is now looking for a salary more appropriate to his new status as world champion.

Button's manager Richard Goddard said they had already made compromises in their talks with Brawn and that they were currently looking at all available options.

"As I've said many times before, Jenson wants to drive a car which is capable of winning the next world championship," Goddard told the Guardian.

"We've been talking about possible terms for 2010 with Brawn for months and we're not being difficult or unreasonably expensive in our demands for Jenson. In fact we've given up quite a lot of negotiating ground in our discussions with them.

"I think it's also important that Jenson wants to feel valued in whatever situation he finds himself next season," Goddard added. "He needs to explore all the feasible options."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: Button fuels McLaren speculation
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
It has been a rollercoaster year for Jenson Button starting with fears that his Formula One career could be over following the Honda exit announcement last December, culminating in championship success with Brawn GP and his subsequent move to McLaren Mercedes.

While the details of the negotiations - and subsequent failure to come to a deal - with Brawn/Mercedes are not clear, Button was keen to offer thanks to his former team on the day his multi-year McLaren deal was revealed.

?I want to say that the 2009 season will always have a special place in my memory, and I?m absolutely sure that everybody at Brawn GP who worked so hard to achieve our world championship successes feels exactly the same way about it,? he said. ?I wish all my old Brawn GP mates well in their new Mercedes Grand Prix adventure, just as I hope they?ll wish me well in my new McLaren Mercedes adventure.
?

Pundits however remain unconvinced that Button?s McLaren move is the correct one with Eddie Jordan claiming that the 2009 champion may have had no choice other than the McLaren option.

?We?re all assuming that Jenson had the opportunity to drive at Brawn,? began former team boss turned BBC pundit. ?I don?t believe that is the case and my inside information is that (new team owners of Brawn) Mercedes released him and advised him to seek employment elsewhere.?