Author Topic: Alonso out on his own in Montreal  (Read 2628 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Alonso out on his own in Montreal
« on: June 08, 2007, 05:12:06 PM »
World champion proves the class of the field on day one

08 June 2007

McLaren?s Fernando Alonso continued to stamp his authority on proceedings in Canada on Friday afternoon, topping second practice with a fastest lap half a second clear of Ferrari?s Felipe Massa.

The Spaniard whirled his MP4-22 round in 1m 16.550s, a full seven-tenths of a second faster than team mate Lewis Hamilton, and it was only right at the end that Massa jumped up the order with his best lap of 1m 17.090s.

Hamilton did a 1m 17.307s quite early on but failed to improve on it, while Kimi Raikkonen?s efforts to better his 1m 17.557s best saw his Ferrari go off briefly in Turn One.

Once again, the leading quartet were head and shoulders above the rest, who were led by Nick Heidfeld. The German lapped his BMW Sauber in 1m 17.827s, but then brushed a wall, lightly damaging his F1.07?s right-hand suspension. Team mate Robert Kubica was in action at last after fuel feed problems in the morning, and was 12th on 1m 18.399s.

Nico Rosberg was on form again for Williams, posting 1m 17.992s for sixth, ahead of Honda?s Rubens Barrichello (1m 18.108s), Renault?s Giancarlo Fisichella (1m 18.130s) and Red Bull?s Mark Webber (who was initially fastest, worked down to 1m 18.181s and then had a coming together with Toro Rosso?s Scott Speed on the last lap).

Super Aguri?s Takuma Sato had a spin on his way to 10th fastest time of 1m 18.309s, which left him ahead of David Coulthard (1m 18.316s) in the second Red Bull, Kubica, Jenson Button (1m 18.474s) in the Honda, Toro Rosso?s Tonio Liuzzi (1m 18.493s), Anthony Davidson (1m 18.545s) for Super Aguri, Speed (1m 18.602s) and Williams? Alex Wurz (1m 18.971s).

In 18th, Jarno Trulli had an adventurous afternoon, hitting a wall and damaging his Toyota?s right-front suspension. He made it back to the pits for repairs, got down to 1m 18.895s, then had to crawl home all over again after the right-front suspension broke as he went over a kerb. Team mate Ralf Schumacher was almost half a second slower, with 1m 19.331s.

Christijan Albers continued to be Spyker?s lead runner with 1m 19.453s, with Adrian Sutil chasing him hard on 1m 19.662s on his first visit to the track.

Right at the back, Heikki Kovalainen had got down to 1m 20.519s when he clobbered a wall out the back of the circuit in his Renault; unlike Trulli, he did not make it home.

The Finn was not alone in his indiscretion; Wurz, Hamilton and Schumacher all had off-course moments, Heidfeld and Trulli had their wall-brushers, and Kubica, Sato and Raikkonen all had spins.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Alonso out on his own in Montreal
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:33:30 PM »
Alonso not expecting McLaren dominance

By Pablo Elizalde Friday, June 8th 2007, 20:38 GMT

Fernando Alonso says he is not expecting his McLaren team to be able to repeat their dominant performance of Monaco in Canada, despite topping the times in both practice sessions.

McLaren's championship leader was over half a second ahead of Ferrari rival Felipe Massa in the afternoon session.

In the morning, Alonso and teammate Lewis Hamilton finished one-two to complete a perfect start to the weekend for McLaren.

But despite his performance, Alonso is not expecting to be as dominant as in Monaco, where the Spaniard won ahead of Hamilton, with Massa over a minute behind.

"A good start to our weekend at a challenging circuit," said Alonso. "In the first session we limited our running slightly as the track was very dirty and only used one set of tyres, but still emerged fastest. The second session was spent on tyre evaluation and also looking at the brakes and we have made some good progress.

"I don't think we will dominate like we did at the last race in Monaco and the track conditions here means that it's very hard to estimate where our competition is, but so far so good."

Hamilton, running at the Gilles Villeneuve circuit for the first time today, was pleased with his day's work after posting the third quickest time in the second session.

"Today was the first time I had the opportunity to drive at the Montreal circuit and I really enjoyed myself," Hamilton said. "We had done a lot of work back in the UK with our simulation programme and also I have watched a few of the past races here but you can't beat the real thing.

"We worked on set-up, tyre evaluation and also looking at the brakes as this circuit is notoriously hard on the brakes. There were no problems and it looks like we are in good shape."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Alonso out on his own in Montreal
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:55:23 PM »
MONTREAL (CP) - It was supposed to be Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen battling for the Formula One title in 2007, but much of the talk has been about their teammates.

Two-time defending world champion Alonso dominated two practice sessions on Friday at the Canadian Grand Prix but Raikkonen managed only fourth place.

Between them were Raikkonen's Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa and Alonso's 22-year-old McLaren Mercedes garagemate Lewis Hamilton.

Alonso posted the quickest lap of the day at the 4.361-kilometre Gilles Villeneuve Circuit in one minute 16.550 seconds, more than a half-second better than Massa's 1:17.090.

Hamilton did 1:17.307 while Raikkonen's best was 1:17.557. Nick Heidfeld of BMW Sauber was fifth at 1:17.905.

"I don't think we'll dominate like we did at the last race in Monaco," said Alonso. "And the track conditions here (slippery and hot) make it hard to estimate where our competition is. But so far, so good."

Alonso and Hamilton share the lead in driver standings going into the Canadian Grand Prix this weekend.

The Ferraris are right behind, but it is Massa, supposedly the second driver, who is in third place 10 points ahead of Raikkonen, the Finn who moved to Ferrari over the winter to replace retired seven-time champion Michael Schumacher.

Hamilton, the first driver ever to finish in the top three of the first five races of his career, will be gunning for his first F1 pole position in qualifying on Saturday (TSN, 1 p.m. ET). And he'll go for his first race win on Sunday.

"I don't care who is behind me - I try to beat everybody, whether it's the same car as mine or a different one," added Alonso.

The McLarens have held the upper hand early in the 17-race Formula One calendar, particularly with Raikkonen coming off two weak events in which his best result was eighth two weeks ago in Monaco.  Another poor result could put the 2005 Canadian Grand Prix winner in a deep hole.

"We're in a position, after two bad races, where if we have one more bad race it can be a disaster, or it can swing the opposite way if the other guys have a bad race," said Raikkonen. "We'll just do the best we can and try to get good results."

While Raikkonen was seen as Schumacher's heir, he feels no pressure despite falling back since winning his first race for the Italian team in Melbourne in March.

"Why should I?" he said. "I try to do the best I can and if we can't do it, we can't do it.

"I try not to take on pressure. There are always people who don't like what you do and think you can do better. I do it my own way, no matter what they say."

Massa, the winner this year in Bahrain and Spain, is fully aware of the consequences of falling too far behind.

"If you look at the championship, there are four drivers fighting at every race, so if you have a bad race, it can affect you a lot," Massa told Autosport magazine this week. "You don't have any margin."

At McLaren, Hamilton has become the talk of the racing world by finishing in the top three in his first five F1 races.

Alonso has wins at Malaysia and Monaco, but his teammates' consistency has kept them deadlocked in the drivers standings. The team denied accusations of "drivers orders" - a command by team bosses that Hamilton not challenge Alonso - when they finished 1-2 in Monaco.

Fifth place in practice was taken by Nick Heidfeld of BMW Sauber, who is also fifth in the championship, just ahead of Giancarlo Fisichella of Renault, a team that dipped dramatically from a year ago when Alonso won his second title for the French team.

It was a difficult day for Robert Kubica, who replaced Jacques Villeneuve on the BMW Sauber team last August and looks to have inherited the Iberville, Que., driver's bad luck in Montreal.  Kubica's morning practice ended without a fast lap due to a fuel leak, while he spun out in the opening minutes of the afternoon practice, but got out again late and placed 12th.

The Polish driver's Sauber team has been just behind the top two this season, with Heidfeld taking fourth place in three straight races and Kubica fourth in another.

But their energies are spent more on holding off the Renault team than on challenging the leaders. At Monaco two weeks ago, Renault's Giancarlo Fisichella grabbed fourth place to finish ahead of the BMW's for the first time this season.

Kubica said that may have had more to do with race strategy than power and believes his team can still steal points from the big teams if they falter.

"We have to take advantage of opportunities," said Kubica. "Here, it may be that someone is in difficulty.

"It looks like Ferrari and McLaren are quicker than us. but in Monaco, we were at the same level as Ferrari."

Ferrari managed only third and eighth places on the tight streets of Monaco, but are expected to do better in Montreal.