Author Topic: Schumacher turns taxi driver  (Read 2111 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Schumacher turns taxi driver
« on: December 12, 2007, 08:33:38 AM »
 Tuesday, December 11th 2007, 14:27 GMT

Michael Schumacher can add the unofficial title of Germany's fastest taxi driver to his other achievements after taking over behind the wheel to get his family to the airport on time.

The retired Formula One champion drove the cab back to the airport himself after a trip out to the village of Gehuelz, near Coburg in southern Germany, left the family short of time to make their flight home, the Muenchner Abendzeitung newspaper reported.

"It was crazy having Schumi driving, with me in the passenger seat," the taxi driver was quoted as saying.

The seven-time world champion, who stopped racing last year but is still involved in the sport as an occasional tester for Ferrari, gave the driver a 100 euro ($146.6) tip on top of the 60 euro fare, the newspaper said.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: Schumacher turns taxi driver
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 05:53:10 PM »
Schumacher baffled by taxi inquest

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, December 15th 2007, 15:21 GMT

Michael Schumacher says he is baffled by reports in Germany that police are investigating whether he broke the law when he recently drove a taxi to an airport.

Schumacher took over the wheel of the taxi to ensure his family caught a flight back home, and capped off his high-speed trip by offering a 100 Euro tip on top of the 60 Euro fare for the taxi driver.

But a report in German newspaper Bild today said that police were now looking into the matter to investigate whether Schumacher broke the law, while the taxi driver Tuncer Yilmax is also facing questioning about his involvement in the matter.

Kai Holland, deputy director of Coburg's traffic authority, told Bild: "That was an offence against transport laws. We will have a hearing with the taxi driver to resolve the matter."

Schumacher has laughed off the story, however, and thinks the whole affair has been blown out of all proportion.

"I was brought by taxi here," smiled Schumacher on Saturday, speaking at a press conference ahead of his appearance in tomorrow night's Race of Champions at Wembley.

"It is an interesting thing, if i remember all my years in professional motorsport and all the things I have done, that to make out of a flea an even bigger elephant than it is now, it is pretty impressive to see that. You just have to laugh about it..."