Author Topic: DTM 2011 – Press Release No. 15  (Read 2451 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
DTM 2011 – Press Release No. 15
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »
10th April, 2011

DTM 2011 - new drivers, new partners, a new track

DTM       

Wiesbaden. Only three weeks to go before the first round at the Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg on May 1st. This weekend, fans were treated to an eagerly awaited appetizer of the 2011 DTM during the big pre-season launch in Wiesbaden. According to ITR chairman Hans Werner Aufrecht, the upcoming season could well become one of the most thrilling in the DTM’s long history: “I am really curious for this season. After all, with BMW coming in as a new manufacturer from 2012, all the teams will be reduced from currently nine to only six drivers. This means a very tough battle and, as a result, thrilling motorsport action for the spectators.”

In 2011, 18 drivers will be competing for the DTM title. The two manufacturers Mercedes-Benz and Audi are both entering nine drivers. It is already certain that last year’s champion will not defend his crown, as Scot Paul Di Resta, who raced in the DTM for Mercedes-Benz, stepped up into Formula 1 on the back of his 2010 title win. “DTM was an incredibly important step in my career and I will continue to watch the races very closely in the future”, Di Resta said in a video message during the official press conference in Wiesbaden. The Mercedes-Benz drivers for this season are Gary Paffett (GB), who already won the title in 2005, Bruno Spengler (CDN), Jamie Green (GB), Susie Stoddart (GB), the two ex-Formula 1 drivers David Coulthard (GB) and Ralf Schumacher (D), Maro Engel (D) and the two new signings Christian Vietoris (D) and Renger van der Zande (NL). “I am looking forward to a great season. We have new drivers and will be racing with tyres from the new DTM partner Hankook. This creates a new situation. Even though things are still not going too well for us in Formula 1, I am certain that things will be going well for us again in DTM”, said Mercedes-Benz head of motorsport, Norbert Haug, also in a video message from the Formula 1 race in Malaysia.

Rivals Audi are counting on Timo Scheider (D), the 2008 and 2009 DTM champion, Oliver Jarvis (GB), two times’ DTM champion Mattias Ekström (S), Martin Tomczyk (D) and Miguel Molina (E). New additions to the Audi team are Swiss lady racer Rahel Frey, Filipe Albuquerque (P) and Edoardo Mortara (I). Audi’s head of motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich said: “After the year 2010, during which almost everything that could go wrong, did indeed go wrong, we are highly motivated to show that we can do better. We are bringing a lot of colour into the DTM. Apart from two cars, all our Audi A4 DTM are sporting different liveries and easy for the fans to identify.”

The drivers are coming from nine different countries. Germany has the largest representation with six drivers, followed by Great Britain with five and Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Portugal, Italy, The Netherlands and Spain with one driver each. The calendar for the season includes ten championship rounds in five countries. Moreover, fans are already looking forward to a big show event in the Munich Olympic Stadium in mid-July. Traditionally, the season gets underway at the Hockeheimring Baden-Württemberg. Moreover, fans in Germany can attend races in Oschersleben, at the Lausitzring and the Norisring street circuit in Nuremberg and at the Nürburgring in the Eifel region. Further rounds are taking place in Zandvoort in The Netherlands, Brands Hatch in Great Britain and Valencia in Spain. New on the calendar is the Red Bull Ring in Austria. “The DTM already raced in Austria in the past and was a real hit there. We want to build on that”, said ITR chairman Aufrecht. In 2010, 685,000 spectators came to the circuits to watch the DTM races live. The team of the Motorsport Arena Oschersleben was awarded the trophy for organisers of the year 2010.

For all those who aren’t able to come to the race tracks themselves, TV partner ARD is again broadcasting all qualifying sessions and races live. On Saturday, ARD is broadcasting from 13.30 till 15.00 h and on Sunday from 13.45 till 15.30 h from the DTM circuits. A new highlight for the TV spectators: from this season, ARD will be showing all DTM rounds in HD quality.

During the DTM race weekends, the Formula 3 Euro Series, Porsche Cerrera Cup, Volkswagen Scirocco R-Cup and SEAT Leon Supercopa can also be watched in action on the tracks. Like in previous years, fans not only get to see great motor racing, but also a packed show programme including live concerts by popular artists.