Author Topic: Alonso surprised by McLaren form  (Read 2468 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Alonso surprised by McLaren form
« on: June 28, 2007, 01:01:07 PM »
By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, June 28th 2007, 17:23 GMT

Fernando Alonso says he has been pleasantly surprised by his results in the early part of the season, despite trailing teammate Lewis Hamilton in the championship.

The two-time champion, who joined McLaren from Renault this year, is 10 points behind his rookie teammate after the first seven races of the season.

McLaren, who last year endured a win-less season, have won the last three races to edge clear of rivals Ferrari, looking like the team to beat as Formula One returns to Europe.

Despite his gap to Hamilton, Alonso admits he was not expecting to enjoy such a strong start to the season.

"Well, I think that in a way it has been a surprise, a good surprise how quick the car was," Alonso told a news conference at Magny-Cours.

"I moved teams, I left Renault last year and I was not so sure about what the McLarens would be like at the beginning of the season.

"I found a very good car straight away and I was able to win two races in the first seven races of the championship and I'm second in the drivers' championship and leading the constructors', so it has been a very very positive first half of the season but for sure.

"I would like to be first, leading both championships and for that, I need to be a little bit quicker than in the first seven races."

Alonso admitted he had been surprised by Hamilton's performance following the British driver's back-to-back wins in Canada and Indianapolis.

"I think for Formula One it's probably my teammate, Hamilton," said Alonso when asked about this season's surprised.

"He has performed really well in the first half of the season and this is maybe not a surprise because we've been testing all winter and in the team, especially when he was quick. You know, he's doing very well."

The Spaniard also downplayed his gestures during the United States Grand Prix, where his on-board camera showed show he raised his hand while swerving towards the McLaren pit wall after being unable to overtake Hamilton for the lead.

"I raise my hand every time I catch a car that I lap and every time that I am fighting with someone and if you want to enjoy a race you must watch my on-board camera because I am always quite emotional," he said.