Author Topic: McLaren confirm Kovalainen for 2009  (Read 2304 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
McLaren confirm Kovalainen for 2009
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:25:09 AM »

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, July 31st 2008, 09:26 GMT

Heikki KovalainenHeikki Kovalainen will remain alongside Lewis Hamilton at McLaren next year, his team confirmed to autosport.com in Hungary on Thursday.

The Finn joined the Woking-based at the start of this season and, although being quick in qualifying, bad luck has robbed him of several points-finishing positions.

He has taken just one podium finish, where he finished third in Malaysia, but secured his maiden pole position at the British Grand Prix.

It is understood that Kovalainen's contract with McLaren contained an option for his services next year and the team have ended speculation about his future by confirming he will remain there.

Although there is no official statement, McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh told autosport.com that Kovalainen would be continuing with the team.

"We welcomed Heikki on board at the start of the year," said Whitmarsh. "He is under contract to Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, and will continue to race for us in the 2009 season."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: McLaren confirm Kovalainen for 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:29:07 AM »

GO TO EARLIER STORY    GO TO THE NEWS INDEX    
Kovalainen hopes to end career at McLaren

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, July 31st 2008, 14:01 GMT

Heikki Kovalainen says he would be happy to finish his career at McLaren after having his contract with the team confirmed for 2009.

The Finn joined the Woking-based outfit at the start of this season and, although bad luck has effectively ruled him out of the championship fight, the team have seen enough to keep him for next year.

And Kovalainen has not ruled out committing himself to the team for even longer - saying it has been his target since the day he joined them.

"I think as far as I am concerned I have never been worried about my contractual situation," said Kovalainen. "Since the beginning of my McLaren career it has been the target to extend this relationship for many, many years.

"First of all I can say I am very, very happy with this team. There is a great potential in this team and I want to be part of it. I would be happy to finish my career at this team, to be honest."

Kovalainen's teammate Lewis Hamilton has also said he hopes the Finn remains at the team for several years.

When asked at the Hungaroring if it was important Kovalainen was staying, Hamilton said: "Absolutely. I've known for a while now so it is not news to me.

"It is great. The atmosphere at the team is fantastic, and a lot of that is due to Heikki being there and us being able to work together. So I welcome it and I really hope he stays for even longer."