Author Topic: Dennis rues McLaren's 'silly mistake'  (Read 2381 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Dennis rues McLaren's 'silly mistake'
« on: October 19, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »
By Jonathan Noble and Biranit Goren Friday, October 19th 2007, 18:38 GMT

McLaren team chief Ron Dennis rued his team's 'silly mistake' in using a second set of wet weather tyres on Lewis Hamilton's car during Friday's first free practice for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

And despite admitting this has been a clear breach of the regulations, Dennis emphasized there was no advantage to be gained by that error and hoped Hamilton will not be penalised severely for his team's mistake.

Hamilton is currently under investigation by the race stewards at Interlagos, along with Honda's Jenson Button and Super Aguri's Takuma Sato, for breach of article 25.3 of the F1 Sporting Regulations.

The article states: "No driver may use more than one set of wet and one set of extreme weather tyres during P1 and P2."

And while Dennis fully conceded his team had breached the regulations, he said the mistake only happened on a single installation lap and gave Hamilton no benefit.

"It was 100 percent the team's mistake," Dennis said. "Lewis did an installation lap on one set of wet tyres, and we just put on another set. It was 100 percent our fault.

"He only did an in-and-out lap, so there was no advantage, but it was clearly a breach of the rules. Two other people made the same mistake, and it is up to the stewards to decide on the penalty.

"We are trying maybe too hard, and it was a silly mistake. We can do no more than our best, and we are really trying hard. People make mistakes. I am not trivializing it.

"It just perhaps shows we are all human. I don't think anyone will imagine there was any advantage there at all. There is a rule there, we broke it, and we just have to get on with it."

Dennis, whose team has been excluded last month from the 2007 constructors' championship, was also humorous about the situation, adding: "I just hope the stewards don't take the constructors' championship points away - oh, wait, they've already done that!"

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: Dennis rues McLaren's 'silly mistake'
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 03:50:08 PM »
McLaren unruffled by special scrutineer

By Jonathan Noble and Biranit Goren Friday, October 19th 2007, 19:08 GMT

McLaren chief Ron Dennis says his team will fully cooperate with the special FIA inspector, who is due to visit the McLaren garage tomorrow to ensure the team are treating both their drivers with equality.

The FIA has appointed the special scrutineer after the head of the Spanish motorsport federation Carlos Gracia raised concern that McLaren may favour Lewis Hamilton over teammate Fernando Alonso in their battle for the world championship.

But Dennis said today his team have nothing to hide and said he has invited Gracia himself to be McLaren's guest for the weekend.

"First of all, I made contact with [Gracia] and met with him and his colleague and invited them here because there is obviously a firm belief in Spain that we are not being equal handed and that is contrary to the facts. I felt that would defuse the situation.

"We did meet on Wednesday morning and had a good conversation. I said that, to make sure there was no inability to communicate, that Pedro [de la Rosa] would translate for them.

"I think there will be an additional [FIA] scrutineer in the garage tomorrow. He can wear a headset and do anything he wants - it will only make it more apparent that we are doing what we have been doing.

"Am I offended? It is not relevant to us. We will get on with the job and be judged by the outcome of the race."

Dennis said the atmosphere in the team, with Hamilton and Alonso separated by just four points, is "a little tense, but it is professional and calm."

Asked what his relationship with Alonso is like right now, Dennis admitted he has been distancing himself from both drivers - all in the name of maintaining equality.

"To be honest I have tried to step back from both drivers in this difficult situation; I have tried to be even handed," he said. "I am available at any time, but I am not going to push myself into any situation.

"I can only be judged by my actions, and I am prepared for it to be just that."