Author Topic: Raikkonen wins race and title in Brazil  (Read 4212 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Raikkonen wins race and title in Brazil
« on: October 21, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »
By Matt Beer Sunday, October 21st 2007, 17:33 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen snatched the 2007 world championship title from the McLaren drivers' grasp by winning the Brazilian Grand Prix ahead of his Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa.

Pre-race points leader Lewis Hamilton had a disastrous afternoon - dropping from second on the grid to fourth by the first corner, then going off the road further around the lap. He then lost 40 seconds when his McLaren briefly cut out, and could only recover to seventh.

Fernando Alonso finished a distant third, having had no answer for the Ferraris' pace.

Raikkonen swept ahead of Hamilton off the line at the start of the race, and as the Briton lost momentum his McLaren teammate Alonso was able to slip through on the inside at the Senna S.

Hamilton tried to retaliate into the Descida do Lago corner, only to lock a brake and run wide onto the run-off area, falling to eighth place.

Eight laps later Hamilton's hopes were dealt an even worse blow when his McLaren suddenly slowed. It got back up to speed further around the circuit, but by that time he had fallen right down to 18th position.

At the front, the Ferraris pulled away from Alonso with ease. Massa appeared to have the edge over Raikkonen, and led by as much as three seconds.

But in the middle of the race Raikkonen crept closer to his teammate, and after running three laps longer in the second pit sequence the Finn was able to jump ahead of Massa and into the first position he required.

Hamilton mounted a gallant recovery drive, and tried the strategic gamble of switching to a three-stop strategy with a very short stint on the unpopular supersoft tyres. Although he made rapid progress through the midfield cars, he needed to finish fifth with Raikkonen on course to win the race, and lacked the speed to catch the top six runners.

Alonso was never in contention for victory, lapping up to a second slower than the two Ferraris. He briefly fell to fourth when passed by charging three-stopper Robert Kubica, but regained the final podium spot when the BMW pitted for the final time. It was to no avail, however, as Raikkonen's win was sufficient to overturn Alonso's three-point advantage.

Raikkonen cemented his victory by setting a new fastest lap with just five laps remaining. He eased away from Massa to clinch his sixth win of 2007 and his first world title in seven years of trying.

Nico Rosberg charged to fourth for Williams, despite almost tangling with Nick Heidfeld while battling the BMW for the place with 11 laps to go. Both ran extremely wide and let Heidfeld's teammate Kubica through, but Rosberg was able to catch the Pole again and grab fourth on the penultimate lap.

The lapped Hamilton moved up to seventh when Jarno Trulli (Toyota) made a late final stop and fell to eighth, but the result meant that the Briton ended up second in the championship that he had led for the last five months.

Rosberg's fourth place secured Williams' fourth place in the constructors' championship as neither Red Bull scored. Mark Webber retired from fifth early on, while David Coulthard could only manage ninth.

Williams' newcomer Kazuki Nakajima finished 10th on his Formula One debut, but his race was marred when he slid into his pit crew at his first stop, leaving two mechanics with minor injuries.

Last year's champions Renault had a disastrous season finale. Both Giancarlo Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen suffered damage in the opening laps - Fisichella being violently collected by Spyker's Sakon Yamamoto after running across the grass at the Senna S.

Kovalainen continued with a new wing after his first corner incident, but later had a heavy crash at Turn 3.

PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS

The Brazilian Grand Prix
Interlagos, Sao Paulo, Brazil;
71 laps; 305.909km;
Weather: Dry and sunny.

Classified:

Pos  Driver        Team                      Time
 1.  Raikkonen     Ferrari              (B)  1h28:15.270
 2.  Massa         Ferrari              (B)  +     1.493
 3.  Alonso        McLaren-Mercedes     (B)  +    57.019
 4.  Rosberg       Williams-Toyota      (B)  +  1:02.848
 5.  Kubica        BMW Sauber           (B)  +  1:10.957
 6.  Heidfeld      BMW Sauber           (B)  +  1:11.317
 7.  Hamilton      McLaren-Mercedes     (B)  +     1 Lap
 8.  Trulli        Toyota               (B)  +     1 Lap
 9.  Coulthard     Red Bull-Renault     (B)  +     1 Lap
10.  Nakajima      Williams-Toyota      (B)  +     1 Lap
11.  R.Schumacher  Toyota               (B)  +     1 Lap
12.  Sato          Super Aguri-Honda    (B)  +    2 Laps
13.  Liuzzi        Toro Rosso-Ferrari   (B)  +    2 Laps
14.  Davidson      Super Aguri-Honda    (B)  +    3 Laps

Fastest lap: Raikkonen, 1:12.445

Not classified/retirements:

Driver        Team                      On lap
Sutil         Spyker-Ferrari       (B)    43
Barrichello   Honda                (B)    40
Kovalainen    Renault              (B)    35
Vettel        Toro Rosso-Ferrari   (B)    34
Button        Honda                (B)    20
Webber        Red Bull-Renault     (B)    14
Yamamoto      Spyker-Ferrari       (B)     2
Fisichella    Renault              (B)     2

World Championship standings, round 17:               

Drivers:                    Constructors:             
 1.  Raikkonen    110        1.  Ferrari              204
 2.  Hamilton     109        2.  BMW Sauber           101
 3.  Alonso       109        3.  Renault               51
 4.  Massa         94        4.  Williams-Toyota       33
 5.  Heidfeld      61        5.  Red Bull-Renault      24
 6.  Kubica        39        6.  Toyota                13
 7.  Kovalainen    30        7.  Toro Rosso-Ferrari     8
 8.  Fisichella    21        8.  Honda                  6
 9.  Rosberg       20        9.  Super Aguri-Honda      4
10.  Coulthard     14       10.  Spyker-Ferrari         1
11.  Wurz          13       11.  McLaren-Mercedes       -
12.  Webber        10       
13.  Trulli         8       
14.  Vettel         6       
15.  Button         6       
16.  R.Schumacher   5       
17.  Sato           4       
18.  Liuzzi         3       
19.  Sutil          1       

All timing unofficial

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Raikkonen wins race and title in Brazil
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:05:27 PM »
Raikkonen: perseverance won the title

By Michele Lostia Sunday, October 21st 2007, 18:27 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen says he never stopped believing he could win the world championship this year, and this persistence is why he clinched the title today in Brazil.

The Ferrari driver, who at mid-season was 26 points behind then-championship leader Lewis Hamilton, started today's race at Brazil seven points behind the Briton.

But Raikkonen's victory in the season finale, with Hamilton finishing only seventh and Fernando Alonso third, allowed the Finn to clinch the title by one point.

"For sure we were not in the strongest position as some point of the season, (but) we always believed we can recover, we always believed we can do a better job than the others," said Raikkonen.

"Even in hard times we stick together and never give up. We saw at the end that although we were a long way behind, we knew we could win the championship."

Raikkonen thanked his Maranello-based team and paid homage to teammate Felipe Massa, who finished the race in second place after having been out of the championship fight for the last two races.

"I have to thank the team, they did a great job, not just today but all year," Raikkonen said. "We always worked hard and improved the situation, we had perfect team work, we had a hard fight with Massa all year and he was unfortunate not being in the fight any more.

"The sponsors have been a big bonus for us, they have done a great job for us, improving the fuel and everything, for sure I am going to enjoy today. I am very happy."

Raikkonen realized he had a chance to win the title after Hamilton had an off-track excursion on the first lap, but couldn't be sure the championship was in the bag until Hamilton also took the chequered flag.

"I got a very good start, we were side by side with Felipe but we didn't want to race too hard," he explained. "I got past Hamilton and then he went off and I knew we had a chance then.

"We had good speed with the car, taking it easy, saving the car and tyres, we could have gone faster. Perfect work from the team, it paid off very well so thanks very much.

"I wasn't really 100 percent sure, we weren't sure if someone needed to stop in front of Lewis. He was seventh and even though I finished, there were other people who needed to finish, it took a long time to hear I had finally won.

"After the last few races we scored some good points, it has been a good finish to the season, great work for everybody. I am very happy: it was an amazing day."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 04:17:51 PM »
Dennis takes 'sporting approach' to loss

By Biranit Goren Sunday, October 21st 2007, 18:44 GMT

Ron Dennis looked somewhat stunned in the moments after the Brazilian Grand Prix today, when both his drivers failed to clinch the world championship, but the McLaren boss maintained a sportive attitude and insisted the title was not lost in a single race.

McLaren held the top two spots of the drivers' points standing for most of the season, with Lewis Hamilton leading Fernando Alonso by four points before the Brazilian Grand Prix - and Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen a further three points behind.

With either Hamilton or Alonso looking certain to win the title today, it came as quite a surprise when Raikkonen ended up clinching the title, beating both Alonso and Hamilton by just one point.

Capping off one of his most testing years in Formula One, Dennis put a brave face as he acknowledged his team's loss.

"At difficult moments like this, you've just got to have a sporting attitude to the outcome," he told ITV. "It's hard to find the right words. But I think our team have done a good job all year and should be proud of their achievements."

Dennis said Hamilton was lucky to have had superb car reliability all year long, and having suffered from gearbox problems today, it was simply a matter of getting his share of gremlins at the wrong time.

"Ferrari suffered their reliability problems in the beginning of the season, and we've had some today," Dennis said. "So it's not about one race, it's about the world championship.

"But as I said, this is a sport, and we will be sporting about it. Lewis has enjoyed phenomenal reliability from his car this year, so we haven't done a bad job this year. It's just come at the wrong time.

"This year has been challenging for lots of reasons, as you know. But we've got to be positive and sporting, and we look forward to next year."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 04:19:55 PM »
Alonso congratulates 'deserving' Raikkonen

By Michele Lostia Sunday, October 21st 2007, 18:59 GMT

McLaren's Fernando Alonso congratulated Ferrari rival Kimi Raikkonen, who took the world championship with a victory in the season finale at Interlagos on Sunday.

The two-time champion entered the three-way Brazilian GP showdown four points behind rookie teammate Lewis Hamilton and three ahead of Raikkonen.

But the Spaniard's third place finish was not enough to keep the Finn behind in the points, while the Briton could do no better than seventh.

"First of all, congratulations to Kimi," said Alonso. "I said many times who has more points in the last race deserves the championship, so in this case Kimi did a great championship. It was up and down for everyone, at the end he deserves it, so congrats to him."

Despite having had a difficult season at McLaren, with numerous spats with both Hamilton and team boss Ron Dennis, Alonso said he will have good memories from this year and hailed the car he was provided with as being 'fantastic'.

"I think at the end, in other jobs you have up and downs, you have better moments and bad moments. This year I had difficulties with the team, it is no secret, but we tried to work as hard as we could and we arrived at the final race fighting for the championship.

"We finished third, one point behind in the world championship, we had a great car, a fantastic car, (so) even if it was a tough season I have great memories of this season, so I feel comfortable."

Alonso says he expected the Ferraris to dominate the race, so when they ran one-two from the first corner, all he could hope for was for one of them to break down, in order to stand a chance of winning the title.

"I knew it would be very difficult," explained Alonso. "I knew (I had) to take five points from Lewis, because without a problem for Lewis in the race, I knew Ferrari could do one-two, and (that's) not good enough for me.

"At the start I was able to be third, then (it was) impossible to stay with the Ferraris. In the first two or three laps I was keeping the pace with them, I was hoping the pace was just that.

"Obviously we were taking care of the tyres in the first couple of laps, but when they pushed I was not able to keep the pace. It was the same in China, I was keeping the third position and keeping fingers crossed that one of the Ferraris would have trouble, but there was nothing I could do."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 04:20:47 PM »
Hamilton hails 'phenomenal' rookie season

By Biranit Goren Sunday, October 21st 2007, 19:30 GMT

Lewis Hamilton hailed his rookie season in Formula One as 'phenomenal' and said he is confident of bouncing back from the disappointment of losing this year's world championship.

The young British sensation, who broke every record for a rookie driver in F1, held the points lead for most of the season and looked certain to become the youngest world champion ever before losing out by just one point in the season finale to Ferrari rival Kimi Raikkonen.

"Obviously I am pretty disappointed with the result today, having lead for so much of the season and then not to win the Championship," Hamilton commented.

"However, I have to put the result into perspective: this is only my first year in Formula One and overall it has just been phenomenal. I am still very young and have plenty more years in me to achieve my dream of becoming World Champion."

Hamilton also paid tribute to his McLaren team, stating: "I have to thank absolutely everyone in the team for everything they have done for me this year, without them and all their hard work I wouldn't have even been in this position today."

McLaren team boss Ron Dennis echoed his protege's words, saying: "Having fought a close and thrilling battle in the Drivers' Championship all year and then not to win it at the final hurdle is obviously extremely disappointing.

"However, we as a team can only feel very proud of all our achievements this season and the way in which we have conducted ourselves.

"To come into this championship showdown with two drivers both with a chance of winning is a testament to all the hard work and dedication everybody in the team has put in throughout this difficult year."

Mercedes-Benz motorsport chief Norbert Haug added: "Not the result today we wanted to achieve with both Lewis and Fernando having been so close to winning the World Championship.

"But even two times 109 points is not making up for 110. It hurts very much if you are missing just two points to win a Championship.

"However, I want to thank the entire team for their hard work during this season. It is sad for everybody in the team that we couldn't capitalise on our second chance following China.

"Congratulations to Kimi and Ferrari on winning the World Championship."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »
Brazil Sunday quotes: McLaren

Sunday, October 21st 2007, 19:37 GMT

Fernando Alonso - 3rd: "The result today is of course disappointing but we already knew that it would be difficult starting from fourth to win the race and the Championship today.

"I predicted at the start of the season that it was going to be very close and that it would come down to the race here in Brazil, I just hoped that it would have been in my favour, but that is not the case and I just have to accept that for this year.

"It was a difficult race for me. During the first laps, I thought I was able to match the Ferraris' speed; however, when they began pushing they were just too fast. Our car was fast and competitive throughout the year and I won four races. I am still satisfied with this season"

Lewis Hamilton - 7th: "Obviously I am pretty disappointed with the result today, having lead for so much of the season and then not to win the Championship. However I have to put the result into perspective, this is only my first year in Formula 1 and overall it has just been phenomenal.

"I am still very young and have plenty more years in me to achieve my dream of becoming World Champion. I have to thank absolutely everyone in the team for everything they have done for me this year, without them and all their hard work I wouldn't have even been in this position today."

Ron Dennis: "Having fought a close and thrilling battle in the Drivers' Championship all year and then not to win it at the final hurdle is obviously extremely disappointing.

"However, we as a team can only feel very proud of all our achievements this season and the way in which we have conducted ourselves.

"To come into this championship showdown with two drivers both with a chance of winning is a testament to all the hard work and dedication everybody in the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team has put in throughout this difficult year. We would like to congratulate Kimi on his achievement today."

Norbert Haug: "Not the result today we wanted to achieve with both Lewis and Fernando having been so close to winning the World Championship. But even two times 109 points is not making up for 110.

"It hurts very much if you are missing just two points to win a Championship. However, I want to thank the entire team for their hard work during this season.

"It is sad for everybody in the team that we couldn't capitalise on our second chance following China. Congratulations to Kimi and Ferrari on winning the World Championship."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 04:23:39 PM »
Q & A with Lewis Hamilton

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, October 21st 2007, 20:17 GMT

Q: How are you feeling now?

Lewis Hamilton: "I went into the race thinking, 'whatever happens today it has been a phenomenal year'. Who'd have thought I'd be leading the world championship going into the final race? With a little luck I might have done it, but it's a great feeling to have been in that position.

"The team has done a phenomenal job all year, absolutely amazing. We all wanted to win the rugby world cup and the F1 world championship, but it obviously wasn't to be England's turn. But it's my first year of F1 and next year we'll bounce back stronger, for sure."

Q: What went through your mind when the car was stuck in neutral?

Hamilton: "To be honest I didn't have a great start to the race. I locked up to avoid hitting Fernando [Alonso] and ran a bit wide.

"I was quite relaxed when I came back on because I knew I had the pace to get back my position, but I was downshifting into Turn 4 and the car just selected neutral. I coasted for some time.

"Eventually it clicked back in and I was able to get it going - I don't know how. From then on I had to manage the engine, so I was running quite low rpm."

Q: When did you feel, 'it's over'?

Hamilton: "When I saw the chequered flag. I never stopped pushing and just kept trying as hard as I could to the end. I was told at the start I could still get it and I believed that.

"Pace-wise we weren't too bad - not as good as the Ferraris, but that's down to the way we were running our engine."

Q: Did it feel like eternity when you were coasting?

Hamilton: "I just felt like someone, somewhere, didn't want me to win the title. I've had a few tyre problems, I made a mistake in the last race, and then something happened to me at the beginning today, but that's racing.

"To think I've come from GP2 to be ranked number two in the world is a positive thing, and I know we'll be strong next year. We'll do a better job, for sure, the team will keep pushing, and I've got the experience now and I'll bank that. I can't wait."

Q: Do you feel emotional?

Hamilton: "A little bit, but I just can't deny the fact it's been an incredible season. To finish second in the world championship when the team has been through some very difficult situations...

"But Kimi [Raikkonen] has done a great job all year and drove very well today, so he deserves his success."

Q: You said you'd be a winner whatever happened. Do you still feel that way?

Hamilton: "Absolutely. It's been a crazy year, and I honestly can't say 'I'm really gutted', because I'm not.

"After a year without problems, it's just unfortunate that we had a little one today. The car was phenomenal during the race. Apart from the first lap I think I drove one of my best races, so I can't be disappointed."

Q: Do you feel robbed, though?

Hamilton: "No. Everyone has had their fair share of bad luck, but most of mine has all come at the end."

Q: What will you take from this year?

Hamilton: "Everything - I've learned something at every race, a huge amount. I don't think there's one thing that particularly stands out.

"I've made certain mistakes, though, and won't make them next season."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »
Raikkonen won't let title change his style

By Alan Baldwin Sunday, October 21st 2007, 20:38 GMT

Newly crowned world champion Kimi Raikkonen has vowed not to let the title win change him or his lifestyle.

Ferrari's 28-year-old Finnish 'Iceman', twice before a runner-up in the title standings with his former team McLaren, finally reaped the rewards on Sunday with victory in the Brazilian season-ender.

But the Finn, whose love of partying is as well-documented as his monosyllabic approach to the media, said he will remain the same person.

"It's not going to really change my life too much," he said. "People will probably try to make up more stories about me but I'm not going to change myself, I never did before and it's not going to happen in the future.

"I lead my life as I want and that's it. For sure, we are going to have a big party, not just here but next week...it's been a long season and it's hard to realise that we finally did it after many years."

Raikkonen, who stepped into retired seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher's shoes this season after five years with McLaren, echoed his German predecessor in saying the Italian team felt like a family to him.

"I enjoy every moment with the team," said the first driver since the late Argentine Juan Manuel Fangio to win the championship in his first season with Ferrari.

"I have enjoyed Formula One much more this year than I enjoyed the last few years, for many reasons -- not because of the driving, but for some other reasons.

"I'm more than happy to win the championship with Ferrari, especially in the first year with the team.

"It is such a nice big family, great people to work for. I'd rather win with them than anyone else," added Raikkonen, whose victory at Interlagos was his sixth of the year.

The triumph came at the end of one of the emotionally-charged and controversial of seasons, with Ferrari winning the constructors' championship after McLaren were stripped of all their points for a spying scandal.

Asked whether he felt beating McLaren's 22-year-old rookie Lewis Hamilton and double champion Fernando Alonso to the title was a sort of justice, Raikkonen hesitated.

"I think so, maybe yes," he said.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »
Post-race press conference - Brazil

Sunday, October 21st 2007, 23:24 GMT

Participating: Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), Felipe Massa (Ferrari), Fernando Alonso (Mclaren Mercedes)

TV unilaterals

Q: It wasn't so long ago this season that you were saying really the chance has gone to win this championship and today, magically perhaps, it's all come right.

Kimi Raikkonen: I don't remember that I was saying that. I think maybe somebody else was saying it, but for sure we were not in the strongest position at some points of the season, but we always believed that we can recover, we can do a better job than the others and even in the hard times everybody was sticking together and we didn't give up.

It was good because as we saw in the end, even from a long way behind, we could reduce the gap and go ahead and win the championship, not just Constructors but also Drivers and I need to thank the team, they did a great job not just today but all year. Like I said, we had some hard time with some problems but we always work hard and improve the situation and I think we had a perfect teamwork, Felipe helping all the time also.

We had a hard fight with him all year but then he unfortunately didn't score and he couldn't be in the fight any more, so he's been a big help also, and also the sponsors have been a big bonus for us. The team is very close, they've been doing a great job for us, improving the fuel and everything to help us with the new regulations, so for sure I'm going to enjoy today and probably the next month, but I'm very happy.

Q: But it was a beautifully clean race for you, a great race for the team as well, following Felipe, passing Lewis Hamilton into the first corner and then taking the lead in the second phase of pit stops.

KR: I got a very good start actually, side-by-side with Felipe but we didn't really want to race against each other too hard and the main thing was to get past Hamilton and then I saw his in the mirrors in the corner and I think he went off and I thought that maybe we had some chance now. We had very good speed in both cars. We were just taking it easy, saving the tyres and the cars. We could have gone much faster if we wanted to. It was perfect teamwork from the team and it paid off very well. It's not only been in this race but the whole year, so thanks to everybody.

Q: You're known as the Iceman but what was it like in the closing stages of the race, presumably your team saying 'Kimi, stay where you are, you're going to be World Champion.' What was going through your mind?

KR: Not much really, I wasn't really 100 percent sure because we weren't sure if somebody needed to stop in front of Lewis. He was seventh then even he had finished and I finished the race but there were people who needed to finish and we didn't know 100 percent, so I was just really waiting and it took a long time to hear that we finally won it and it's amazing, after the last few races, being up and down and we scored good points even in difficult situations, so it's been a good finish of the season and great work from everybody and I'm very happy, it was an amazing day.

Q: Felipe, well done to you, a brilliant team performance by Ferrari, you could have won that race, you had the pace to do it, a great pole position; your thoughts at this moment.

Felipe MASSA: For sure, I'm very happy with the team. Unfortunately, I didn't come here fighting for the championship for so many reasons, especially because of some difficult times I've had this year but I'm very happy for the team. It's good to see the Ferrari team who trusted me winning the championship and I'm very glad to help the team to win the championship. One day I hope it can be with me but I'm happy for Kimi.

For sure I need to say thanks to the whole team who worked very hard, even during the difficult times when we were criticised because the reliability was not good enough, but in the end, it was good to see the team champions. Also with all the problems we had this year with the spy story, so I think it's a good way to show and to do a good job and win the championship. I also need to thank, as Kimi did, the sponsors who worked very hard, like Shell, like all the sponsors we have, so it was a fantastic day for them. For sure, I feel very happy for the team, for Kimi. Unfortunately, I wanted to win the race in Brazil but I'm happy to help the team to win the championships.

Q: In fact there were some question marks before the race about the track surface, about the super soft tyres; in the closing stages, what were the conditions like?

FM: I think the track improved a lot from yesterday to today, so the track made a big improvement. In the end the super soft worked very well at the end of the race. Everybody expected to be in trouble with the super soft but in the end it was working very well. I also need to say that Bridgestone did a good job because everybody was saying that it was too risky to bring the super soft, but in the end it worked, so it was also good for them.

Q: Fernando, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes led the Drivers' Championship from the second race until the last race, but it wasn't to be. A good start, you passed your team-mate Lewis Hamilton out of the first corner and then couldn't keep the pace with the Ferraris.

Fernando ALONSO: Yeah, first of all congratulations to Kimi. I said many times, the man who has more points at the last race deserves the championship, so in this case, I think Kimi did a great championship, as he said, up and down for everybody but now, on the last day, he deserves it, so congratulations to him.

The race itself, I knew it was going to be very difficult and not only because I had to take four or five points to Lewis but also because with the problem for Lewis in the race, I knew that Ferrari could finish one and two and that was not enough for me. So I tried at the start, I had a good start and I managed to be third and then, as you said, it was impossible to keep the pace with the Ferraris, so I was waiting for something to happen to them.

Q: Where were they quicker than you?

FA: I don't know. I think the first two or three laps I was keeping the pace with them, so I was extremely optimistic at that point on lap three, because I was hoping that the pace was just that. Obviously, they were probably taking care of their tyres in the first couple of laps, and then when they pushed, I was not able to keep the pace, but you never know, it was the same in the China, and anything can happen, so I was keeping the pace there, the third position with fingers crossed that maybe one of the Ferraris has a problem or something and I can take second place but it didn't happen at the end, so nothing I could do.

Q: Fernando, you won two World Championships, a turbulent year with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes; some thoughts from you on that season with McLaren and the job they've done for you?

FA: Well, I think at the end, you have ups and downs. You have better moments and worse moments and I think, as you said, this year I had some difficulties with the team, it's not a secret, but at the end, we try to work together as hard as we could and we arrived at the last race fighting for the championship and we finished third in the Drivers' Championship, one point behind the World Championship, so I think at the end, I had a fantastic car, a very competitive car, great sponsors in the team and even if we have had a tough season, I've had great memories from this season: four victories, I think, and I feel comfortable.

Q: Kimi, it is beginning to sink in now no doubt, your 15th win, perhaps you could reflect on your career a little bit, where you've come from in Finland, the struggle to get here and what it means to win the World Championship.

KR: I think it's very difficult to put it into words, but for sure, it wasn't the best place to start in racing. I came from pretty much nothing, but the family put in a lot of effort always, our friends, our cousins and all the sponsors in the beginning helped us to get here but it was a long time ago. I've had great people behind me, great managers to help me here and the teams that I've driven for have got close to the championship a few times but I have never been able to really be there at the right moment.

This year it looked like it was getting away again, but we have a great team, so we put everything together and just believed in ourselves and worked. Probably nobody else was thinking about us anymore but we knew that we still had a chance, so I need to give a bit of thanks to the team. I love the team, I have such a good time with the team, I enjoy Formula One much more now than last year.

I have much better feelings from this year than any other year, so I must say to all the people who have been helping me: thanks to them. For sure, there have been hard times in the career, but that's normal for everybody and this is what I've always wanted and I've got it now so anything that comes after this can only be a plus. We're just going to go next year and try to do it again. It's going to be difficult but we will see what we can do.

Press conferfence

Q: Well done Kimi, at the start of the season, could you have imagined that, even this morning?

KR: The start of the season was good! We were in the same position as we finished, so it was good, but for sure, we had some hard times, we had some reliability problems and we lost quite a lot of points. At one point, people were saying that we weren't in the championship anymore, but we showed them that they were wrong. We were able to come back and we came back strongly in the end, and it was great teamwork from all the people, from Felipe and the guys on the team, so it was a great season.

Q: What were your feelings this morning when you came in?

KR: For sure it was really like any other race for me. There were some people who said for sure I was going to win but I didn't take them too seriously really. There were so many things that needed to go our way today but it all really happened on the first lap. We made a good start and certain things went in our direction and then after that we had a very good car, we were able to keep the pace as we wanted and try to just make sure we were one and two and hope that the rest went right for us.

Q: I guess it was vital to overtake Lewis at the start.

KR: It was. I expected to get past him at the start. We've had a very good start system since maybe the third or fourth race this year. I almost got into first place but we didn't want to take too much risk between me and Felipe, so it was most important to get in front of Lewis and that worked out well, and then we just tried to do the best that we can.

Q: And really the pace of the Ferraris today was phenomenal.

KR: Yeah, but if we want to go faster we probably could have gone a second faster, so the pace was there all the time. The car was great, the tyres worked very well even though there were some question marks whether they were going to last but for us the car was very good.

Q: And of course your pace as well when Felipe went for the second stop, you had a couple of laps extra.

KR: Of course, yes, that was a crucial moment but like I said, we had it planned, we knew what we wanted to do as a team. We had a clear picture of that, so we were not really racing against each other, so a big thanks to the team, a big thanks to Felipe. That's what we needed and that's what we got.

Q: And what were you shouting on the radio on the slowing down lap?

KR: Not really shouting too much, just thanking the team, waiting to get the confirmation whether we won or not. A really great feeling, it's been many years... two times quite close but it never really happened and this year was looking like it was going to be one of those again but it was a good job by us to come back and we did it in the end.

For sure, I know that this hurts for Lewis, because you've been working for a whole year and then when you lose it, it's not a nice feeling and it's a long time before you can try to win it again or even get close. You never know. You try to take it when it comes and it worked well for us this year. It was close but then that's how it should be and we won in the end.

Q: Just one point...

KR: Yeah, I lost it a couple of years ago by two points. Luckily we were on the right side this time, but it's a great year for everybody, I think. For sure there has been a lot of different talk about the whole situation between teams and drivers, but I think that has only made it more exciting for everybody, so sometimes it's good for the sport and for sure much more fun.

Q: Felipe, in a way a difficult race for you because you knew what you had to do, I guess.

FM: Yeah, for sure we had everything to win the race today. The car was phenomenal, the team did a fantastic job, but I think it was pretty clear that the team was fighting for the championship and it was not going to be me who would stop that, so I was playing the game for sure, and trying to help the team if possible.

We were talking beforehand that the only way for Kimi to win the championship was that Lewis should have to be out of the top six and if he was out of the top six and the team needed my support, I would be very happy to help and that's what I did. When I started my career, Ferrari was a team that gave me all the support I needed, who put me in other teams, who helped me, who taught me, so for sure I was very proud to help the team to win the championship, especially to see all the hard work the team has done.

I would loved to have arrived here fighting for the championship but unfortunately this year we had some ups and downs which didn't allow me to come here with the chance to fight for the championship but hopefully one day I can come here and fight for the championship and have the same feeling as Kimi, but I'm happy for him, I'm happy for the team and it was a fantastic job for everybody.

Q: I think your compatriots' hearts must have skipped a beat on lap 44 when you had a bit of a moment down at the bottom there.

FM: I think there was maybe some oil there because I didn't brake so late and I didn't have any grip and I just went onto the dirty side, so I lost important time, but for sure it was not a problem that changed the championship, so I was able to help the team, so it didn't affect the team in the end.

Q: Fernando, a year ago we were congratulating you on winning the championship and the year before that too...

FA: Yes, but not today...So, you know. I knew it was difficult for me. My chances were not very high because I was hoping for a problem or something wrong in his race and I had to avoid a one-two for Ferrari. I tried to do my best all through the race and keep a constant pace and being third was as close as I could get to the two Ferraris and hoping something would go wrong in one of these cars and I would get second and second was enough for me today, but there was not much more I could do.

Q: You didn't seem to have the pace to take the fight to Ferrari?

FA: Absolutely not in the race, in the first two laps I was quite optimistic because I was running behind them quite easily and I thought maybe it was the pace of the race, but probably they were taking care of their tyres or whatever and when they pushed hard it was impossible for me to follow anymore.

Q: And the tyres, were they good or not?

FA: I had big problems with the tyres, but I think everybody did today. We knew the race was going to be extremely risky from the tyres' point of view with the soft especially and we realise now that the most problematic tyre was the prime with a lot of blisters and made the tyre vibrate quite high a lot from lap five or six. So it was not too safe but we chose to do two stops and maybe that didn't help the tyres but it was a good strategy to fight for third. Nothing we can do - it is the same for everybody.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »
Questions from the floor

Q: (Heikki Kulta - Turun Sanomat) Kimi, I feel great and I can see that you feel great, very great. Do you feel even greater if Marcus wins the world rally title?

KR: Good for him, good for Finland, yes, but nothing changes in my life, so I am happy for him if he wins and it will be hard for him. But I am going to enjoy my own victory now as the world champion, so we will see what happens in the other races. I am not too interested in that now.

Q: (Juha Paatalo - Financial Times Germany) How much did the team tell you about the positions of Lewis and Fernando during the race and how much did you think about the points during the race?

KR: Actually, I saw it on the first lap when Lewis went off and I think at the third corner I saw that Fernando got past him and then in corner four Lewis went off. So I knew he had hurt his chances for a podium at that point, but they were telling me about his problem or something that had happened so, from that point, we knew we had a better chance now than we had had for many races. For sure, I knew what was happening behind me but I knew we needed just to make our own race and try to be one and two and then it was not up to us, just what was going to happen, so it was the main thing just to go the whole way.

Q: (MC) Fernando, we have not heard from you what happened on that opening lap?

FA: I had a very good start, similar to Kimi and we both arrived quite close to Lewis in the first corner and Kimi managed to overtake him and we were side by side in corner two, so I overtook him there, but he took the slipstream in the long straight, so I covered myself with my position and I think he braked too late on the outside and he missed the corner. After that, I saw the pit board Hamilton P18, so I asked on the radio what is going on and they said he had a gearbox problem after that. So, from that point on, my goal was to avoid the two Ferraris, but it was not possible.

Q: (Livio Oricchio - O Estado de Sao Paulo) For both Ferrari drivers. Do you think that after the Spy Story there is some kind of justice in this final result?

KR: I think so, maybe, yes. It is so difficult to say. It is such a complicated situation. And I think that it has now been decided and we should put it behind us and there is no point in thinking about it anymore. It's a different story from racing, so it is not a nice thing. Unfortunately it was a big thing this year and so let's hope it doesn't happen again in future.

FM: I think it is another victory for us. It was a big story which was involving many things during the whole season, many negative things and I think this is a very positive thing that we won on the track and also that we beat the problems that we had and it is a good feeling for the team.

Q: (Timo Kunnari - Iltalehti) Kimi, tell us about your feelings as a champion? Are you going to dance the samba tonight?

KR: I don't know about dancing. I am not going to be in condition for dancing. We will just see what happens tonight - for sure we are going to have a big party, not just tonight but next week and I felt great after the race, a good feeling, but it has been a long season and it is hard to realise that we finally did it after many years and in my first year here at Ferrari and because it has been not in our minds to be a world champion because it seemed so far away, but we managed to come back and win it. So it is hard to believe that it happened. I feel great but it will take a little time to have the real feeling.

Q: (Erica Akie Hideshima - Jornal da Tarde) Fernando, I would you talk about your season and your team...

FA: Well, this season has been positive in a general view because I moved from Renault after winning the last two Constructors' and Drivers' Championships, 2005 and 2006, and I moved to McLaren with some doubts because 2006 was not a great season for McLaren. So when I moved, with doubts, but the team did a fantastic job to have a competitive car in 2007 and so I was able to fight until the last race to win the world championship and I finished one point behind the champion. So in that aspect I think it has been a very positive season.

Outside the car for sure we have had some difficulties this year, but I think this is normal in all jobs and you have ups and downs, better moments and then worse moments, and as I said, I will have great memories of this year from my four victories I had in important places, where I had not won before, like Monza, and Monaco again for a second time. So, as I said, I will have great memories from this season.

Q: (Valeria Zukeran - O Estado De Sao Paulo) Kimi, you have a reputation for being an unlucky driver, but today a lot happened and you won the championship?

KR: I don't know. I never said I am really unlucky. I don't believe in luck too much - it is down to hard work and sometimes you do things wrong and sometimes you have problems, but today we needed help from the others and it turned out to be good for us. Sometimes this year we have had hard times in the races when we have been leading and something has gone wrong. But today everything went right and worked out for us beautifully. I don't know if it is luck or whatever but I take it. It was good and that is the main thing.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi - La Gazzetta dello Sport) In your first season with Ferrari you have won the championship - only Fangio has done this before. How do you feel to be compared to this great champion? And how is your feeling to see McLaren beaten in the last race, the team you were with for five years?

KR: Like I said before, I enjoyed every moment with the team. I enjoy Formula One more this year than the last few years for many reasons, but not because of the driving - for other reasons. And I am more than happy to win the championship with Ferrari, especially the first year with the team has been a great year overcoming all difficulties and giving me such a nice big family and great people to work with - and I would rather win with them than with anybody else.

Q: (Dan Knutson - National Speed Sport News) Kimi, how do you see yourself coping with the increased media demands of being an ambassador for the sport and world champion?

KR: For sure, I will have more appearances and it is not going to really change my life too much and people will probably look differently at me and make more stories about me and my stuff, but I am not going to change myself. I never have before and I don't know what is going to happen in the future. So I will have to be more careful whatever I do. So we will see what happens. Maybe you should ask Fernando because he can tell - he won it before and he can say if he changed a lot or not. I am not going to worry about it and I am going to lead my life as I want and that's it.

Q: (Livio Oricchio - O Estado de Sao Paulo) Alonso, will this result interfere with your future?

FA: No. Nothing has changed.

Q: (Heikki Kulta - Turun Sanomat) Kimi, what was the best of your six victories?

KR: It is very difficult to say which is the best. For sure, this was the most important. We won the championship with this one-two for the team, so if you look at what is most important, ok, every race, every win is important, but this one when it decides everything is the best I would say. It is hard to compare wins, when you win it is nice but this brings more out of you because we won the championship and not just one race.

Q: (Carlos Miquel - Diario AS) Fernando, do you believe your team would support you more to win the championship for McLaren?

FA: I don't know. I think it is difficult to know, or easy to know, when you lose a championship. It was not today. We arrived here with only a three points' advantage with Kimi and it was not enough because we had a great opportunity to open this gap with the mechanical problems he had in some races. And I think we lost a lot of points in Canada with a seventh place, I had a mistake in Japan and I didn't finish the race in the wet.

So one or two points in some of those races and it would have changed the picture completely. From the team I am very convinced they tried to give the same cars for both drivers, the correct approach, and you never know, a few points more to one driver and we won the championship now and not be second and third.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
Kimi fully deserves it, says manager
Sunday, 21, October, 2007, 20:59 

Kimi Raikkonen?s manager David Robertson heaped the plaudits on his driver after the Finn became world champion for the first time in Brazil.

The 28-year-old's sixth victory of the season, combined with title rivals? Fernando Alonso?s third place and Lewis Hamilton?s seventh, earned him an unlikely title triumph after trailing the two McLaren drivers for the majority of the year.

An ecstatic Robertson believes Raikkonen fully deserves the drivers? title and praised his attitude throughout a season packed full of on and off-track controversy.

?He?s become the champion of the world ? it?s what he?s always wanted!,? he told ITV Sport?s Louise Goodman.

?And bless him he really deserved it.

?He has kept his mouth shut, has done the job and up pops the championship.

?For me he is by far the best driver, the coolest kid in the world and today is an example of what he is about.?

Although the Ferrari ace has been the form man in the second half of 2007, he still headed into the three-way title decider seven points behind Hamilton.

However despite his chances appearing slim when the weekend began, Robertson says both he and Kimi thought he could still sneak it.

?To be honest, yes I did [think he could do it], I have felt very positive all weekend, as has Kimi,? he said.

?As with every race he steps into and it spreads onto me.

?I have got to tell you that a lot of the press around here are pretty happy that he?s pulled it off from what looked like a pretty slim chance, he went and done it.

?Fantastic.?