Author Topic: Schumacher superlicence application submitted  (Read 2149 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Schumacher superlicence application submitted
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
The German motorsport federation Deutscher Motor Sport Bund has already sent off the application paperwork for Michael Schumacher's new Formula One superlicence.

The FIA confirmed that even though the 40-year-old German is a seven time world champion, his mandatory superlicence expired at the end of 2006. However, it is believed receiving a new one is a mere formality.

"Under normal circumstances Michael Schumacher should get a superlicence," a FIA spokeswoman told the German news agency SID.

Meanwhile, Schumacher's F1 return is generating plenty of interest.

"So excited to see Michael Schumacher race again," cycling legend Lance Armstrong, who recently pulled off his own sporting comeback, said on his Twitter page. "The greatest of all time!" the American added.

Felipe Massa's father also welcomed the news. "I am sure Felipe will be happy," Luiz Antonio said.

Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport said Schumacher will prepare for Valencia in the Fiat driver simulator in Turin. ?The whole of Formula One celebrates," the newspaper said.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Schumacher superlicence application submitted
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:01:27 AM »
Ralf hails Michael's return as great

By Pablo Elizalde    Thursday, July 30th 2009, 10:52 GMT

Michael SchumacherMichael Schumacher's return to Formula 1 is the best news the sport could get, according to his brother Ralf.

Seven-time champion Schumacher is to replace the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari from next month's European Grand Prix at Valencia.

The 40-year-old retired from Formula 1 racing at the end of 2006, and he last tested grand prix machinery in 2008.

The Valencia circuit will be a new challenge for the German, who has never driven there before.

Schumacher will race alongside Kimi Raikkonen, and will also be on track with world champion Lewis Hamilton, who has never raced the German before.

Ralf said his brother's return is great news for Formula 1.

"He was itching to come back. But no one expected that," Ralf told German television network N-24. "After all the bad headlines on the sport recently this is absolutely great.

"Nothing better could have happened for Formula 1 than my brother coming back."

The shock return has elated German newspapers, who on Thursday hailed Schumacher's comeback.

"The God of racing has come back. The legend will drive again," read Bild newspaper's headline.

Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport also celebrated Schumacher's return with the headline: "It's Schumacher turn!" on its front page.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:27:24 AM »

GO TO EARLIER STORY    GO TO THE NEWS INDEX    GO TO NEXT STORY
Schumacher testing old F1 car at Mugello

By Pablo Elizalde    Friday, July 31st 2009, 10:38 GMT

Michael Schumacher has began his preparation to return to Formula 1 action at the European Grand Prix next month.

The seven-time world champion will replace Felipe Massa in the Valencia race as the Brazilian continues with his recovery following the accident he suffered at the Hungarian Grand Prix last weekend.

Schumacher travelled to Ferrari's factory in Maranello yesterday, where he worked at the static simulator to check the functionality of the steering wheel.

The German has borrowed an F2007 car and he is reported to be testing at the Mugello circuit today since 11am.

Schumacher admitted that he is trying to get as much mileage as possible before his return, even if it means driving old cars.

"There is this test ban in Formula 1, therefore I contacted some of the guys from F1 Clienti if they could give me a car," Schumacher wrote on his website.

"Although those cars are not current or last year's ones, I simply like to drive as much as possible, so this is a good option. The next weeks will be totally on preparation then."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »
Raikkonen calm on Schumacher return

By Matt Beer and Diego Mejia    Friday, July 31st 2009, 16:45 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen and Michael SchumacherKimi Raikkonen says he has no qualms about being joined in the Ferrari line-up if Michael Schumacher goes ahead with his plan to substitute for the injured Felipe Massa.

Schumacher has begun testing a 2007 Formula 1 Ferrari in a bid to see if he is fit enough for his intended comeback at the European Grand Prix.

Raikkonen insisted the identity of his team-mate was largely irrelevant to him, but welcomed news of Schumacher's return.

"For me it makes no difference who drives the second car," he said. "I don't think it is 100 per cent sure that he will drive as he is still checking things out.

"But it will be nice to have him as a team-mate. It nearly happened before."

Schumacher's comeback also received support from his former rival Juan Pablo Montoya.

The Colombian NASCAR racer, who had some memorable wheel to wheel battles with Schumacher before leaving F1 for stock cars, expects Schumacher to cope well, although he doubts the seven-time champion will improve on Raikkonen and Massa's recent results.

"I heard he was testing today already," said Montoya. "Physically he'll be fine with all the testing he'll do before that I think.

"Will he do a lot more than the current Ferrari drivers are doing? I'll be surprised but you know... you never know.

"I'm sure they're going to make sure that they come up with something new for his arrival to make sure he looks good."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
Haug: Schumacher should get F60 test

By Glenn Freeman and Matt Beer    Sunday, August 2nd 2009, 11:53 GMT

Norbert HaugMercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug says his company would be happy to allow Michael Schumacher to test the 2009 Ferrari before his comeback in the European Grand Prix, and hopes rival teams take the same stance.

Ferrari has requested that an exemption to the testing ban be made to help Schumacher reacclimatise before he deputises for the injured Felipe Massa in Valencia. The former world champion last raced in Formula 1 in 2006, and last tested a contemporary car in April 2008, although he drove a 2007 F1 Ferrari fitted with GP2 tyres at Mugello on Friday.

Haug said he could see no reason why Ferrari's request should be rejected.

"Whatever we can do to support him we will do," Haug told AUTOSPORT. "I just think it is fair. This is an exception. If Michael had said he would come back under the condition that he could test, everybody would have said yes.

"His team-mate has thousands of kilometres in this car, and he has nothing. As we are fair players, why should he not get some testing? I would be very open to that.

Toro Rosso's new driver Jaime Alguersuari had to make his F1 debut in Hungary with minimal preparation due to the testing ban, but Haug thinks the young Spaniard would also have been granted an exemption if his team had asked.

"Maybe even a newcomer should get a test," said Haug. "If I would be asked to make an exception for a young guy, I would say yes.

"Giving Jaime a test would have been justifiable, but having said that I don't think there was an official request."

AUTOSPORT understands that there remains some resistance to allowing Schumacher to test the F60, although the FOTA teams are believed to support Ferrari's case.

"You will find some guys that will try to block it," Haug admitted. "But what goes around comes around. They will need some help at another stage. It's not giving people presents, it's being fair when it's justifiable."

But he reckons Schumacher will be a threat for victory whether he is permitted to test or not.

"He is good enough that he could get the job done on Friday if the car is quick," said Haug. "Michael is a competitive guy, he will prepare himself in a very mature and thorough manner.

"If the car is a potentially winning car, then he will be able to win in it. The characteristics at Valencia are not too different to Hungary."

The Mercedes chief added that Schumacher's shock return and Massa's good progress in hospital had both been huge boosts for the sport.

"This is the best thing that can happen to Formula 1," Haug said. "The best news is that Felipe is quite okay and can leave the hospital. That looked really frightening".