Author Topic: Dennis: Kovalainen's time will come  (Read 2083 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Dennis: Kovalainen's time will come
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »

By Simon Strang    Sunday, July 6th 2008, 16:15 GMT

Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, British GP 2008McLaren team principal Ron Dennis says Heikki Kovalainen should not be too hard on himself after the Finn failed to convert pole position into a victory in a rain-hit British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

While teammate Lewis Hamilton romped to a famous home victory in treacherous conditions, Kovalainen, who led early on, slipped back to fifth after a couple of spins.

But Dennis said that the 26-year-old had already done enough over the weekend to prove he is a class act.

"He qualified superbly yesterday and clearly showed that he too is truly world-class," said Dennis. "He shouldn't feel too disappointed today because he demonstrated once again that his racing skills are beyond question. His time will come."

Kovalainen, who defended his lead robustly in the early laps from a charging Hamilton, was one of several drivers who found themselves out of control as their car began to aquaplane on the standing water.

In fact world champion and compatriot Kimi Raikkonen suffered a similar experience en route to fourth, seven seconds further up the road from Kovalainen.

In the end, Kovalainen was forced to console himself with his sixth points finish in eight races.

"I had a good start and, for a few laps, Lewis was really pushing hard - which meant he eventually managed to overtake me on lap five when I ran a little wide," said Kovalainen. "It was an extremely difficult race with lots of things happening.

"It was so easy to get caught out today by aquaplaning and slippery conditions: I spun twice but I was not the only one. At least I scored four points and helped to increase our constructors' points total."