Author Topic: DTM 2010 – Press Release No. 32  (Read 2120 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
DTM 2010 – Press Release No. 32
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:58:27 PM »

Spengler wins at EuroSpeedway to extend points’ lead

DTM       

Klettwitz. At the EuroSpeedway Lausitz, under the eyes of the prime minister of the state of Brandenburg, Matthias Platzeck, Canadian Bruno Spengler scored his first DTM race win of the season. After his second places at Hockenheim and Valencia, the Mercedes-Benz driver extended his lead in the points’ standings. With 26 points, he is ahead of his Scottish fellow Mercedes-Benz driver Paul Di Resta (17 points), who crossed the finish line in second place. Di Resta led for the best part of the race, but lost the lead after problems with the left rear wheel change during the second pit stop. “Winning here really is an incredibly good feeling. I have given my girlfriend a nice birthday present today. But it is even more beautiful because we have three Mercedes-Benz drivers on the podium today. Every year, I have said that I want to win the championship. Perhaps, this year I won’t say it - even though it is my goal”, said Spengler after the sixth victory of his DTM career and his first win since Norisring 2007.

Briton Jamie Green completed the 1-2-3 for Mercedes-Benz in the Lausitz region, which made him the best-placed driver of a 2008-spec car. German Audi driver Mike Rockenfeller, who was racing a 2008-spec car just like Green, was classified fourth in the third season round. “For me, that was a great weekend of racing and these points are important. Now, we hope that it goes on like this. After all, I came into the DTM to win races. At the moment, I am more than happy with the situation”, said ’Rocky’ after the race.

For the first time in her career in the DTM, Scottish lady racer Susie Stoddart scored points with her AMG Mercedes C-Class. After a great recovery from twelfth place on the grid, the 27-year old scored two points for finishing seventh. “Today’s points are a way to thank all those who kept their faith in me and kept supporting me”, said a delighted Stoddart.

In hot temperatures and sunny conditions, 79,000 spectators witnessed an exciting DTM weekend. The action already started with an accident on the opening lap. French Audi driver Alexandre Prémat tangled with his fellow Audi driver Mattias Ekström. The Swede spun and collided with David Coulthard (Mercedes-Benz) and reigning DTM champion Timo Scheider. Prémat retired and the safety car was deployed. Ekström, who was runner-up in the points’ standings prior to the race, parked his car in the pits while Coulthard initially continued after a pit stop. However, two laps after the re-start on lap five, Coulthard had to end his race in the pits, too. Scheider made it to the finish line in eighth place, scoring one point. Gary Paffett (Mercedes-Benz) defended his points’ lead by finishing fifth while Martin Tomczyk scored his first three points of the season for ending up sixth with his Audi A4 DTM.

The fourth DTM race weekend of the year will take place at the Norisring in Nuremberg from July 2nd till 4th.

Mercedes-Benz motorsport director Norbert Haug: “That was very convincing today. We have won eight out of the last twelve races. It was clear that we had an advantage in terms of speed. Susie scored points for the first time. That is great. Perhaps, here it was for Audi like it was at Valencia for us. We were running quite well all the time, apart from the race.”

Audi motorsport director Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich: “Today, it was like a nightmare. This is the worst thing that can happen. Our two best-placed drivers in the championship collide. Something like that really shouldn’t happen in a team. But to make up for it, Mike showed a really good performance with his two-year old car.”

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: DTM 2010 – Press Release No. 32
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
Press release
Frankfurt/Main, June 6th, 2010
DMSB introduces “race consultant” for DTM
With immediate effect, the clerk of the course and the stewards of
the meeting at the DTM races will be assisted by a “race
consultant”. The newly created position will be occupied by an
internationally experienced driver who can be consulted as an
expert, especially in case of collisions or other infringements of the
driving standards. “In Formula 1, I have seen that the former drivers
are a useful complement to the officials because of their expert
knowledge”, said dr. Gerd Ennser, who is not only a permanent DTM
steward, but was also actively involved in several Grands Prix
during the 2010 season. “In the DTM rounds at the Eurospeedway
Lausitz and at the Norisring, we want to gain experience in order to
decide about a permanent role for the Race Consultant at a later
stage.”
Other than in Formula 1, Race Consultants in the DTM will only have an
advisory role and not be active as stewards themselves. During the
practice sessions and the race, they are following all the activities at Race
Control and are called up by the stewards for decisions later on. At the
first two events, former DTM driver Bernd Mayländer (Eurospeedway)
and ex-Formula 1 driver Johnny Herbert (Norisring) will be on duty as onsite
experts. “In Formula 1, the former race drivers who are involved are
taking their duty very seriously and are providing valuable input”, says dr.
Ennser. “I am certain that the DTM will also benefit from this additional
know-how.”
Deutscher Motor Sport Bund e.V.
Lyoner Stern · Hahnstraße 70
D-60528 Frankfurt/Main
Telefon: +49 69 633007-0
Telefax: +49 69 633007-30
Internet: www.dmsb.de
E-Mail: dmsb@dmsb.de
Presse und Öffentlichkeitsarbeit
Pro Motion · Michael Kramp
Telefon: +49 221 957434-34