Author Topic: New McLaren takes to the track at Jerez  (Read 2954 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
New McLaren takes to the track at Jerez
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »
By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 09:50 GMT

Pedro de la Rosa has given the new McLaren MP4-23 its first track outing as the team's private test at Jerez in Spain got underway this morning.

The Spaniard drove out of the garage shortly after 9am to complete the first installation lap of what will be a three day test.

The car included the bridge front wing used in some races last season.

New McLaren driver Heikki Kovalainen is expected to drive the second new McLaren at Jerez later today.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: New McLaren takes to the track at Jerez
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »
McLaren complete first test with MP4-23

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 17:25 GMT

The McLaren team on Wednesday successfully completed the first test of their new car, the MP4-23, at the Jerez circuit in Spain.

Test driver Pedro de la Rosa was the man in charge of putting the car through its paces early in the morning, before Heikki Kovalainen made his debut with a second MP4-23 chassis in the afternoon.

At the end of the day Kovalainen was upbeat about the car's early form.

"It was really great to get on track today with the MP4-23," said Kovalainen, joining the team this year.

"It was my first session as a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver. I always really enjoy the first day a new car runs, there is always a very unique atmosphere, you know a little bit tense, a little bit excited.

"The first impressions of the new car are good. We have a comprehensive development schedule to work through over the next couple of months. The car's performance today is definitely an encouraging starting point.

"Today was also my first real opportunity to meet the test team, which was good because we will be spending a lot of time together over the next few weeks."

Kovalainen completed a total distance of 128km with a best time of 1:20.559.

De la Rosa covered 177km and posted a fastest laps of 1:19.655 near the end of the test. The Spaniard was also pleased with his day's work and with the new car's initial performance.

"We covered 69 laps in total today between Heikki and me, which is a good start," de la Rosa said. "The car felt positive and it has been an encouraging day. This is the second time I have had the opportunity to make the track debut with our new car, it is also the eighth car I have driven for the team.

"It is great for me to be in the car from the very beginning, as I am able to instantly build up an understanding of the car and how it works, and then start to put this knowledge into the testing programme. This time of the season, from when a new car is launched until the first race, is probably the busiest time of the year for the test team.

"We have 18 track days scheduled, including today, before the MP4-23s leave for Australia and a lot of work to complete in that time, but the motivation is huge with all the guys here."

Briton Lewis Hamilton will make his debut at the wheel of the new car tomorrow, when he will join Kovalainen.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:28:57 PM »
Interview: de la Rosa still smiling in '08

By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 12:44 GMT

Having seen his hopes of a full-time return to racing action dashed at the final hurdle once again, you could forgive Pedro de la Rosa for feeling a bit glum about his lot at McLaren.

But despite Heikki Kovalainen getting the nod for the team's second race seat, just 12 months after Lewis Hamilton beat him in the battle to be Fernando Alonso's teammate in 2007, de la Rosa is anything but depressed.

Instead, the Spaniard says there is no reason for him not to keep 'smiling' in 2008. And, although confessing to feeling a bit of disappointment at the turn of events, he is nothing less than fully committed to his future at McLaren.

"Of course I was disappointed," he told autosport.com about losing out on the second seat at McLaren for the second year running. "I am a competitive guy that has a racing mentality.

"But having said that, I have to respect the team's decision and I will work as hard and with the same commitment that I have always done.

"I was disappointed but you have to move on in life. If I am here, I am going to do the whole season with a smile and I will be working hard."

In fact, de la Rosa wastes no time ruing over what might have been at McLaren. He is simply thankful for the opportunities he has already had in his five years as test driver.

"I think I have grown massively with the team, and I have a lot to thank them for," he said. "They have made me a better driver, more complete, and I have driven winning cars, which gives me the ability to know what a weak car needs. That is something unique. I have learned a lot and I am a much better driver.

"I don't know what my reputation is like or what people's perception of me is, as it is not for me to judge, but for sure I am much stronger.

"I just feel much more confident with the car, I know the car, and what you need to make it quicker. And despite all the telemetry we have, that is a feeling that a driver will only be able to give. And that is thanks to the experience I have gained with McLaren."

Looking back on 2007, it was a pretty remarkable year for de la Rosa. As well as fighting for the chance to make a racing return he found himself bang in the centre of McLaren's spy scandal.

It was his emails to Alonso that proved key to the second FIA hearing that resulted in McLaren losing their constructors' championship points and being fined $100 million.

Allied to that, de la Rosa must have also found himself with mixed loyalties too - as a friend and compatriot of Alonso amid all the trouble the double world champion was having with team boss Ron Dennis.

Mention what happened last year, however, and de la Rosa is obviously keen to play it down. His view is very much: what happened, happened. Now let's move on.

"It is F1," he explained. "At the end of the day you have to enjoy everything in this business, because you don't know how long you are going to be in it.

"You have to enjoy the good, the bad and the not. I think when you look back you enjoy it. It was a great season, and we were challenging until the very end, the result was a disappointing thing, but we developed the car in a very short time and I really enjoyed it."

He added: "We are now moving forward, and looking for next year. We don't talk about these things (the spy controversy). We haven't spent any time or lost any time talking about it.

"We move on, talk about how we can make the new car quicker and it is a fantastic feeling. The people are very pushy at the moment and they want to win this season very badly."

Of course not everything was bad for McLaren last year. The amazing debut campaign of Lewis Hamilton was a clear highlight ? and de la Rosa admitted that he enjoyed working alongside the Briton.

"It was great," he said. "Lewis is unbelievable. I have worked with many, many racing drivers and I must say that Lewis is outstanding in all aspects: the way that he learns circuits, and the way that he adapts his driving style to a difficult car is just unique.

"I am very happy to work for him. Last year he took my seat and I was not happy, I was disappointed then as well, but I realised during the year that if I had to lose a seat, he is the right guy to lose it for.

"I also hope to say the same about Heikki in 2009. That would mean that he is very competitive this year."

And while such a state of affairs would mean that de la Rosa would once again be without a race chance at McLaren, he still holds onto the ambition of making it back onto the starting grid at some point.

"I will always have that," he admitted. "The day that I feel I don't have any chance of racing, then there is no point in continuing.

"I always say the same: the fuel of any test driver is that there is a chance for you in the future. So just prepare yourself, your car and your way the same way as if you were racing. That feeling hasn't gone for me."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:31:07 PM »
Haug: Kovalainen was underestimated

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, January 8th 2008, 10:23 GMT

Heikki Kovalainen should surprise people with his results this year because many people underestimated the potential he showed in his rookie season.

That is the view of Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug, who thinks the partnership of the Finn and Lewis Hamilton will be very strong in 2008.

"I think Heikki was probably a little underestimated if you look at his track record," Haug told autosport.com. "His development was very impressive and he was on the podium in his first year of F1.

"He didn't have the best car to win races with, but he came home second once, so that is positive. I think we have a good line-up."

Kovalainen's new teammate Hamilton also thinks working with the Finn will be a very difference experience from his time with Fernando Alonso last year.

"You know how it is with some people," said Hamilton. "You ask them questions and they give you one word answers. With some people you need to make the conversation and some people are just easy.

"With Heikki I don't need to make the conversation, he is happy to start. And we just can talk for ages, and I think he has very similar views to me.

"He loves the car without traction control, he loves racing wheel-to-wheel, he loves the true spirit of racing, so with that it just makes everything that little bit simpler."

And he sees no downside to facing another driver on completely equal terms - despite the friction that situation caused last year with Alonso.

"For me it doesn't cause any problems. At the end of the day, you are given the same opportunity. I want to qualify on pole, Heikki wants to qualify on pole, and if he beats me I know he has done a better job.

"If he beats me then I want to understand why and then come back and try and beat him next time. We both have that same appreciation of how we are, and I honestly don't see there being any problems during the season."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:06:17 PM »
Hamilton positive after first MP4-23 run

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, January 10th 2008, 13:32 GMT

Lewis Hamilton was positive after his first run with the new McLaren MP4-23 at the Jerez circuit on Thursday.

The Briton took to the Spanish circuit early in the morning after teammate Heikki Kovalainen and test driver Pedro de la Rosa had driven the car yesterday.

Hamilton, last year's runner-up in the championship, was delighted to get his first taste of the new car.

"It was fantastic to get my hands on the MP4-23 this morning in Jerez," Hamilton told McLaren.com. "I saw the completed car for the first time on Monday at the team's launch in Stuttgart and I have been pretty impatient since then.

"My first run was at 09:10 and my first impressions are good. You can't really read all that much into a car after so few laps, but the feeling is positive."

Up to 2pm local time, Hamilton had covered a total of 34 laps with a fastest time of 1:19.132.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »
Hamilton completes first test with new car

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, January 10th 2008, 17:06 GMT

Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen completed the second day of testing of McLaren's new MP4-23 car at the Jerez circuit.

Briton Hamilton joined teammate Kovalainen today, after the Finn had made his debut with the car yesterday.

Hamilton covered a total of 103 laps with a fastest time of 1:19.132, while Kovalainen completed 101 and posted a best time of 1:19.462.

"We are all still spending time learning about the car and starting to get used to it," said Kovalainen. "That we were on track for 204 laps in total today is definitely helping us to learn and progress with the car.

"For me in particular the car is very different from last year, and I have been focusing on that side of things.

"Settling into the team has been very easy, and I am looking forward to continuing our preparations for Melbourne next Tuesday."

Hamilton added: "Considering this is only the second day the car has been on track, I am pretty happy with that. We have a lot of work to do, but now we have a real understanding of where we are starting from."

Both drivers will be in action again tomorrow.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
McLaren wrap up Jerez test

Friday, January 11th 2008, 19:30 GMT

The McLaren-Mercedes team on Friday completed the first test with their new car, unveiled last Monday.

Lewis Hamilton and teammate Heikki Kovalainen were again in charge of testing duties on the final of three days of work at the Jerez circuit.

Today, Briton Hamilton covered a total 86 laps with a best time of 1:19.691. Kovalainen completed 93 laps and finished with a fastest time of 1:19.752.

The team will be back in action on Monday at Jerez, where Pedro de la Rosa and Gary Paffett will continue with the development of the new car.