Author Topic: Analysis: the remarkable Stepneygate saga  (Read 15998 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Re: Analysis: the remarkable Stepneygate saga
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 08:27:42 AM »
FIA imposes no penalty on McLaren

By Biranit Goren Thursday, July 26th 2007, 13:56 GMT

The FIA World Motor Sport Council has found McLaren guilty of possession of unauthorised Ferrari documents, but with no evidence that the team had made use of the information, the governing body elected not to punish McLaren for now.

The WMSC said, however, that it reserves the right to call McLaren back should it be found that McLaren had used the information, in which case they may be excluded from not only the 2007 championship but also the 2008 one.

"The WMSC is satisfied that Vodafone McLaren Mercedes was in possession of confidential Ferrari information and is therefore in breach of article 151c of the International Sporting Code," said verdict said.

"However, there is insufficient evidence that this information was used in such a way as to interfere improperly with the FIA Formula One World Championship. We therefore impose no penalty.

"But if it is found in the future that the Ferrari information has been used to the detriment of the championship, we reserve the right to invite Vodafone McLaren Mercedes back in front of the WMSC where it will face the possibility of exclusion from not only the 2007 championship but also the 2008 championship."

Luigi Macaluso, the Italian representative at the WMSC, told Gazzetta dello Sport after the hearing: "There was no proof, nothing more could be done."

McLaren boss Ron Dennis was also pleased with the verdict. "The punishment fits the crime," he was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

Unrelated to the McLaren decision, the FIA also plans to hold a hearing for Ferrari engineer Nigel Stepney and McLaren's suspended chief designer Mike Coughlan, to allow them to defend their behaviour in the spy affair.

"The WMSC will also invite Mr Stepney and Mr Coughlan to show reason why they should not be banned from international motor sport for a lengthy period and the WMSC has delegated authority to deal with this matter to the legal department of the FIA," the verdict added.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »
McLaren say decision 'balanced and fair'

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, July 26th 2007, 17:37 GMT

The McLaren-Mercedes team have said the FIA decision to not punish them was "very balanced and fair".

The FIA Motor Sport Council found McLaren guilty of being in possession of unauthorised documents belonging to rivals Ferrari, but without proof that the data was used, the sport's governing body decided there was no reason to penalize the British team.

The decision angered Ferrari, who said it was setting a dangerous predecent, but McLaren found it fair.

"Following an appearance by McLaren today at the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris, a unanimous decision has been taken by the FIA which in McLaren's opinion is very balanced and fair," said the team in a statement.

"McLaren accepts the that the FIA World Motor Sport Council had no alternative other than to find that there was a purely technical breach by reason of the possession of certain information by one individual at his home, without McLaren's knowledge or authority.

"McLaren is delighted that the World Motor Sport Council determined that this information was not used and accordingly imposed no sanction whatsoever on the team. McLaren looks forward to continuing its fight in what is the most exciting Drivers' and Constructors' World Championship in many years."

McLaren team boss Ron Dennis was happy to leave the matter behind, and he has vowed to focus on winning this year's titles.

"There is no doubt that the past 24 days have been challenging and the tremendous support we have received from our sponsor partners and the public has been much appreciated," said Dennis.

"Moving forward McLaren wants to re-affirm our long-standing commitment to honesty and integrity and re-state that we believe we have acted correctly throughout.

"Now, we have Formula One World Championships to win. As a result we intend to move on, so as to maintain the focus and commitment required to do exactly that."

The news was also welcome by McLaren's drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton.

"Having only been part of McLaren for a few months I know how important today's decision will be for everybody," said Alonso. "I am looking forward to an exciting second half of the season and to continue our battle for both World Championships."

Hamilton added: "Whilst it's only my first season in Formula One with the team, I already know and appreciate the commitment and dedication of the people there. As a result I am pleased with today's decision and can't wait for the rest of the season."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »
Ferrari furious with McLaren's reprieve

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, July 26th 2007, 16:39 GMT

The Ferrari team have labelled as "incomprehensible" that the FIA has decided not to punish McLaren despite finding them guilty of possession of unauthorised documents.

The FIA said after the Paris hearing that there was insufficient evidence to prove McLaren had benefited from leaked Ferrari data found at the home of their chief designer Mike Coughlan.

The governing body said, however, that McLaren were guilty of having breached article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

"Ferrari notes that Vodafone McLaren Mercedes has been found guilty by the FIA World Council," said the Italian team in a statement.

"It therefore finds it incomprehensible that violating the fundamental principle of sporting honesty does not have, as a logical and inevitable consequence, the application of a sanction. Today's decision legitimises dishonest behaviour in Formula One and sets a very serious precedent.

"In fact, the decision of the World Council signifies that possession, knowledge at the very highest level and use of highly confidential information acquired in an illicit manner and the acquiring of confidential information over the course of several months, represent violations that do not carry any punishment.

"The fact that Vodafone McLaren Mercedes was in possession of such information was discovered totally by accident and, but for this, the team would continue to have it. This is all the more serious as it has occurred in a sport like Formula One in which small details make all the difference.

"Ferrari feels this is highly prejudicial to the credibility of the sport. It will continue with the legal action already under way within the Italian criminal justice system and in the civil court in England."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »
Todt: Ferrari would have been penalised

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Friday, July 27th 2007, 13:57 GMT

Ferrari would have been penalised by the FIA had they been in McLaren's situation, according to the Italian squad's boss Jean Todt.

The sport's governing body on Thursday found McLaren guilty of being in possession of confidential documents belonging to Ferrari.

The FIA said, however, that there was insufficient evidence that they had gained any benefit from it and so decided not to penalise McLaren.

Todt believes that if the situation had been reversed, Ferrari would have been heavily penalised.

"I wonder what would have happened with the roles reversed," Todt told Corriere della Sera in an interview. "I wonder if they had found in the house of a Ferrari chief designer 780 secret papers, 780 classified documents of another team...

"There would have been cries of a scandal, an exemplary punishment would have been demanded. And it would have been granted, I have no doubt.

"There is not even a sign of logic in this verdict. Either they are guilty or they aren't. McLaren were found responsible of having violated the regulations of F1, of having behaved in a fraudulent manner, but they haven't been punished.

"That's not all: McLaren during the hearing admitted to have received secret material, and that the knowledge of this operation of espionage arrived at the top level, even to Ron Dennis, and there hasn't been any penalization. It's shameful.

"One thing is certain: we at Ferrari can calmly look at ourselves in the mirror. I think others, since yesterday, can't do the same thing," added the Frenchman.

Todt also said the leaked documents have given McLaren a "huge advantage" in this year's championship.

"From this verdict a strange situation comes up: it's like having played poker against a rival who knows your cards," he added. "The advantage is evident, it's huge, even. Well, it was pretended nothing happened.

"I've been in this world for about 40 years, I've seen all kinds of stuff so I don't get surprised by anything, but this state is really at the limit.

"On the job I always try to control the emotions and the feelings. I must be rigorous first of all with myself and then with my co-workers. Every professional action on our part must be carried out properly. This attitude translates into a precise condition: we must be competitive against our rival.

"We come from a disappointing Grand Prix in Germany, especially as far as technical reliability is concerned, so we must immediately get back on the right track."

The Frenchman added that Ferrari have not yet ruled out appealing the FIA's verdict.

"We'll evaluate what to do and then we'll decide," Todt said.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo added: "I just want to say to our fans, who are contacting Ferrari from all over the world and who are offended by the decision taken yesterday in Paris, that they can stay calm because this story doesn't end here."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
Todt accuses McLaren of hypocrisy

By Biranit Goren Friday, July 27th 2007, 19:30 GMT

Ferrari CEO Jean Todt continued his scathing attack on McLaren and the FIA's World Motor Sport Council's decision not to penalise the Woking-based team, the Frenchman accusing McLaren of hypocrisy and hinting the Italian team could take further legal action against their rivals.

In a lengthy monologue released by Ferrari this afternoon, titled "A reaction in the cold light of day", Todt further reveals that shortly before the spying affair erupted some month ago, McLaren and Ferrari signed an agreement to establish a better working relationship between the two embattled rival teams.

"I am bitter about it: what happened yesterday is serious," Todt begins. "On the one hand a verdict of guilt was handed down and on the other, no sanctions were imposed. I cannot understand it.

"During yesterday's meeting, the McLaren bosses, with no exceptions, admitted that their chief designer had obtained since back in March, prior to the Australian GP, documents from Nigel Stepney.

"Some of this data was used to prepare a clarification request submitted to the FIA, aimed clearly at us, given that throughout the Melbourne weekend, McLaren team principal and his closest colleagues made statements in which they threw doubt over 'some cars'.

"Therefore, such information was in fact used to obtain an advantage over us: not through an improvement in their performance, but instead through limiting ours.

"It is important to underline that the information used to try and damage Ferrari through the FIA might be only a part of the information received by McLaren.

"In an attempt to justify its actions, McLaren has tried to claim the immunity normally accorded to a whistleblower in some legal systems.

"But it should be noted that usually, an informant or whistleblower goes to the competent authority to denounce something, whereas in this case he went to Ferrari's main rival who, and it is not us who say this but the FIA, took great care not to mention that the information was obtained in this way.

"Let us move on. McLaren has confirmed that it has had to install a firewall to prevent further information from Stepney from reaching the team in the form of documents. Furthermore, Coughlan has been asked to tell the very same Stepney to stop sending him information.

"It is a shame that before this, Coughlan asked [Stepney] for information on our brake balance system, then went to lunch with him in Spain, before calmly returning home with 780 pages of designs, diagrams, data and a whole lot more - as stated by the FIA release - with which to design, develop run and race a 2007 Ferrari Formula One car.

"As confirmed in that decision yesterday, the violation was already there in the simple possession of the information, which in itself constitutes an enormous advantage in a sport like Formula One.

"In Ferrari's opinion, it is like playing a hand of poker with a rival who already knows what cards you are holding.

"It remains incomprehensible that apart from possession, one must also demonstrate the effective and visible use of this information on the McLaren car.

"Actually, this very same fact, on the basis of available information which the FIA used to find McLaren guilty, shows that the offence lies in the possession without the need to prove anything else. The proof is there and this led to the FIA's decision. Therefore I find it difficult to understand how the verdict makes sense.

"Furthermore, I have to say that the proof of effective use requested by the FIA is impossible for Ferrari to furnish, because of course, Ferrari does not have access to the McLaren car.

"A few weeks after the race in Melbourne, the McLaren team principal proposed that we should reach a sort of agreement to establish a better relationship between our two teams, thus avoiding any future denunciations to the sporting authority.

"I replied that I found it impossible to believe him, because on several occasions we had seen that certain commitments had always been disregarded by McLaren. There was an exchange of views and, believing in their good faith, I agreed to sign this agreement on 9 June last.

"Since that time and even earlier, McLaren was perfectly aware, not only of the emails sent by their informer within our company, but also of the fact that their chief designer had stayed in contact with him and had received and continued to be in possession of a significant amount of technical information that belonged to us.

"So, on the one hand, they had come to say 'let us trust one another', and on the other they were hiding serious facts such as those just stated above, but making no effort to inform us as would have been in the spirit and to the letter of our agreement.

"Finally, it should be noted that yesterday's meeting was not an appearance before a tribunal, but a meeting of the FIA World Council, at which only McLaren was asked to respond to accusations and in which we were present only as observers.

"Therefore there was no possibility to play an active role as we would have wished. I was only able to ask a few questions and reply to some, but we were not able to present our case nor the documents to support it.

"This decision remains very disappointing and surprising. It is not acceptable to create a precedent in such an important case in which the guilty verdict for serious and persistent violation of the fundamental principle of sporting honesty does not automatically incur a penalty.

"For our part, we will press on with the legal actions currently taking place in Italy and in England, and we do not rule out taking further action."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 10:39:34 PM »
FIA sends spy case to Court of Appeal

By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, July 31st 2007, 14:58 GMT

Ferrari will get the chance to tell their version of the spying affair after FIA president Max Mosley decided to send the case to the Court of Appeal.

Mosley's decision comes after a letter from Italy's automobile federation president Luigi Macaluso, in which the Italian was critical of the World Motor Sport Council's ruling to not penalise McLaren despite finding them guilty of being in possession of confidential documents belonging to Ferrari.

In a letter replying to Macaluso, Mosley said the matter will now be taken to the Court of Appeal, where Ferrari will be able to give their version of the story.

The Italian squad were unable to appeal the verdict as they were only invited to last week's WMSC hearing.

"Your letter suggests that the outcome may have been different if the Council had given Ferrari further opportunities to be heard beyond those that were in fact offered," wrote Mosley in the letter.

"Because of this and the importance of public confidence in the outcome, I will send this matter to the FIA Court of Appeal under article 23.1 of the FIA Statues with a request that the Court hear both Ferrari and McLaren and any other Championship competitor who so requests and determine whether the decision of the WMSC was appropriate and, if not, substitute such other decision as may be just."

An FIA spokesman said the hearing was likely to be in Paris at the end of August.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
Renault to attend spy appeal hearing

By Alan Baldwin Friday, August 3rd 2007, 16:32 GMT

Formula One champions Renault will attend an appeal court hearing into a spying controversy between McLaren and Ferrari, team head Flavio Briatore said on Friday.

The Italian told a news conference at the Hungarian Grand Prix circuit that the French team would be there because the affair was damaging the sport's image and the outcome was important to everybody.

"This story involves everybody sooner or later," he said. "I want to know exactly what is going on because I think it is part of our job.

"If you see the newspapers in the last two months, we are not talking about who is the guy winning the race or losing the race. The spy story, if you want, is predominant in everything," added Briatore.

"I believe this story is damaging everybody a little bit, including me...Stuff like this is not good for the sponsors or anybody."

Red Bull team chief Christian Horner, whose cars are powered by Renault engines, said they would not be attending.

"The matter doesn't concern our team or any employees of our team and we trust in the governing body to make the right decisions," he said.   

Briatore said Renault, winners of both titles for the past two seasons, attended a hearing in Paris last week that found McLaren to have been in unauthorised possession of Ferrari documents.

No penalty was imposed on McLaren, 27 points clear of Ferrari with seven races remaining, because of insufficient evidence that they had benefited from the data.

The team have said they did not know their now-suspended chief designer Mike Coughlan had 780 pages of Ferrari information at his home.

The affair has been sent to appeal, with a date yet to be decided. If the earlier verdict is overturned, McLaren could face suspension or even exclusion from the championship.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 09:53:14 PM »
Q & A with Jean Todt

By Jonathan Noble Monday, August 27th 2007, 01:01 GMT

Q: What are you impressions from today's race?

Jean Todt: "Definitely, it is very pleasing and very rewarding. We knew we had a competitive car. We knew Ferrari would be quicker in the race than during qualifying, like since the beginning of the season. And we chose to go with the softer tyres, which maybe was not as competitive during the race. But still it probably helped for the start.

"Felipe did a great start. Kimi as well. We were first and second. We had to push for most of the race but the race went perfectly well. Very often when you are first and second it happens, and this was the case today."

Q: There are only five races to go. How do you see your chances for the championship?

Todt: "We feel it is still open. It will be tough, but it is always tough. And as I always said, we will try the best until the end and I believe we still can carry this on."

Q: Both drivers in both teams are fighting for the world championship. Looking at the remaining races, have you thought about the need to impose a hierarchy on the drivers at a certain point if one of them is slightly ahead going into the final few races? Is there a plan or tactic to safeguard the world championship?

Todt: "No. It will be something that will be inappropriate for drivers like Felipe and Kimi, doing such a good job, after 12 Grands Prix with just one point difference. Most of them have had problems because of some mistakes that we did.

"They made some mistakes, but that is normal. We are human beings, and at the moment there is not any plan to make any kind of strategy between one or the other one."

Q: We had the impression that your car is more at ease on circuits with long bends, like this one rather than the ones with chicanes, like Monza. Is that true?

Todt: "I don't think we can say that. Probably our weakest point can be sometimes in qualifying, as I said before. Otherwise the car has been competitive. We have developed the car since the beginning and we will carry on developing the car until the end of the season to optimise it."

Q: Felipe Massa won here last year and now has five wins. How do you see his development as a driver?

Todt: "Well, I said before. Both are doing a very good job. There is a very good harmony in the team, they both want to win and there is definitely the same chance. Like Kimi, he is superb."

Q: Do you think F1's (technical) rules need changing because pole position is a bit too important for the final results of the race?

Todt: "That is why it is very important and difficult to get it. It is very difficult to change. We know that already that it will be difficult. We know it is better to be in the front. It is such high competition but everything must be perfect if you want to achieve it. I don't see what can be done at the moment to improve the situation."

Q: If you are to win either title, do you feel you are going to need more misfortunes on McLaren's part like Lewis (Hamilton) had today?

Todt: "Lewis did a fantastic race. After what happened he was quite lucky to bring four points home but when you look at what he has done this season he is doing a great job, but he has been quite successful when he had a problem today. It can happen to us, and it is part of racing."

Q: Can you tell us something about the technical information of Ferrari's test at Monza?

Todt: "Well, we are going to be testing in Monza next week. We know that Monza is a specific circuit, with special specifications. We will have of course a package moulded for the race."

Q: Fernando Alonso said that Ferrari appeared to be ahead in the race, with start systems and qualifying. Would you agree?

Todt: "I can only thank him to give such a high opinion about Ferrari."

Q: Last year when Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn left the team you spoke of your need to stay here to ensure continuity and consistency of the operation. Can you give us any indication of what Ross will do next year and your own plans for your future?

Todt: "I am not at all prepared to retire. I feel still very motivated, with the same anxiousness before every race. The same happiness when we are successful. The same unhappiness when we are not successful.

"So I hope I can only be here a few more years. Bernie when you ask him, there is 15 years difference, is still very motivated. For me I am not thinking at all about stopping working. I am sorry...

"On Ross. We had some discussions, we will have other discussions. And at the moment no commitment from either side has been made. We are just discussing about his options, and our options. Maybe we will find some common point, maybe we will not find some common point.

"But still we will always be friends, we will always have respect for each other. He has been doing a tremendous work at Ferrari, and Ferrari have given him a lot. So our partnership has been good for him and good for Ferrari."

Q: The FIA Court of Appeal is meeting on the Thursday after Monza. Is that proving to be a distraction either for yourself or the team. Are you preparing any new evidence? Are you having to do much work for that or are you able to keep that aside from your championship efforts?

Todt: "It is completely different matters. Everything we do we try to do the best we can. The race today was very important, the preparation for it was very important and the preparation for the next five races will be very important. As will be very important this hearing of the 13th (September).

"We want the truth to appear. And it will appear. That is something for me, which for Ferrari, for the sport, for me, I want it to appear. And it will appear."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 11:18:46 AM »
Dennis worried title could be tainted

By Jonathan Noble Monday, August 27th 2007, 10:31 GMT

McLaren boss Ron Dennis believes that any title success his team achieve this year will be tainted if his team are not completely exonerated in Formula One's spy affair by the FIA Court of Appeal.

The appeal hearing on the Thursday before the Belgian Grand Prix is due to hear detailed evidence from Ferrari about their view on the spying controversy that erupted following McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan being found with secret Ferrari documents.

And although McLaren have already escaped punishment at an FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting last month, Dennis believes that the satisfaction of his entire season now rests on the appeal judges backing that original verdict.

"We are in F1 to win. But the most important thing is not just winning, it is how we win," he said. "I do not know what twists and turns are going to take place in the Court of Appeal.

"If we do not come out of that Court of Appeal with an unblemished reputation then the results of this season will be tainted.

"I know the truth and the truth is that McLaren as a company are not involved in this matter. And I just do not want to find through some process that our reputation is damaged. The rumours and spin that I have heard about this matter just leave me amazed.

"I cannot believe that people can construct some inaccurate views based on no fact whatsoever and be quite comfortable to project them into the pack as being true. It is ridiculous."

Ferrari team principal Jean Todt said on Sunday night that he would ensure the truth from his outfit's perspective will come out in his team's presentation at the meeting.

"(It) will be very important this hearing of the 13th (September). We want the truth to appear. And it will appear. That is something for me, which for Ferrari, for the sport, for me, I want it to appear. And it will appear."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
FIA says has new evidence in spy case

By Alan Baldwin Wednesday, September 5th 2007, 15:06 GMT

Formula One's governing body said on Wednesday that it had received new evidence relating to a spying controversy involving McLaren and Ferrari and an appeal hearing scheduled for next week had been withdrawn.

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that its World Motor Sport Council had instead been reconvened for a hearing in Paris on September 13, the date scheduled for the appeal.

It added that representatives of championship leaders McLaren, who could face exclusion from the championship, had been invited to attend.

"Following receipt of new evidence, the World Motor Sport Council has been reconvened for a hearing in Paris on September 13," it said.

Asked about the new information, an FIA spokesman said the world body was "not in a position to make any comment at this stage."

The World Motor Sport Council decided in July not to impose any penalty on Mercedes-powered McLaren because of insufficient evidence that they had benefited from Ferrari data in the possession of their suspended chief designer Mike Coughlan.

However the governing body said at the time that the matter was not closed.

"If it is found in the future that the Ferrari information has been used to the detriment of the championship, we reserve the right to invite...McLaren back in front of the WMSC where it will face the possibility of exclusion from not only the 2007 championship but also the 2008 championship," it said .

Ferrari, McLaren's title rivals, were incensed by the original council verdict and FIA president Max Mosley sent the decision to the body's International Court of Appeal.

"The FIA President's referral of the matter to the International Court of Appeal has been withdrawn," the FIA said on Wednesday.

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton leads double world champion teammate Fernando Alonso by five points going into Sunday's Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari's home race, at Monza.

Ferrari's Felipe Massa is 15 points behind Hamilton with teammate Kimi Raikkonen one point further adrift with five races remaining.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 01:16:07 PM »
McLaren respond to FIA announcement

By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, September 5th 2007, 16:16 GMT

McLaren have responded to the news that the FIA has found new evidence in the spy case by saying they will continue to co-operate with the governing body.

The FIA said on Wednesday it had received new evidence relating to the spying controversy involving the British squad and Ferrari.

The governing body announced its World Motor Sport Council had been reconvened for a hearing in Paris on September 13 following the cancellation of the appeal hearing originally scheduled for that day.

McLaren said they have been made aware of the news, and that they would continue to co-operate with the FIA.

"McLaren Racing has been made aware that new evidence has been presented to the FIA as part of their on-going investigation," said the team in a statement.

"As a result we have been informed that the Court of Appeal Hearing scheduled for the 13th September in Paris will now comprise a meeting of the WMSC.

"McLaren will continue to co-operate fully with the FIA."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 09:36:43 AM »
FIA reveals letter sent to McLaren drivers

By Jonathan Noble Friday, September 7th 2007, 11:58 GMT

The FIA has responded to mounting speculation about the nature of the new evidence in the McLaren spy saga by publishing copies of the letters it sent to the team's drivers last week.

Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and test driver Pedro de la Rosa were asked to present any evidence they had relating to the ongoing spy investigation in the light of the FIA becoming aware of an email exchange about Ferrari set-up information.

As autosport.com revealed yesterday, the drivers were offered an amnesty from punishment if they cooperated - and warned that they faced 'serious' consequences if they withheld information.

The letter said: "You will appreciate that there is a duty on all competitors and Super Licence holders to ensure the fairness and legitimacy of the Formula One World Championship. It is therefore imperative that if you do have any such information, you make it available to us without delay.

"I can confirm, given the importance of this issue, that any information you may make available in response to this letter will not result in any proceedings against you under the International Sporting Code or the Formula One regulations. However, in the event that it later comes to light that you have withheld any potentially relevant information, serious consequences could follow."

It is understood that de la Rosa and Alonso responded to the FIA's request for information earlier this week, providing the evidence that resulted in a new World Motor Sport Council hearing being convened.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »
Letter confirms drivers had new evidence

By Jonathan Noble and Steve Cooper Friday, September 7th 2007, 09:19 GMT

FIA president Max Mosley confirmed in a letter to Formula One teams last week that the new evidence that has led to a fresh hearing over the Ferrari spy saga did come from McLaren's drivers, autosport.com can reveal.

Speculation at Monza ahead of this weekend's Italian Grand Prix pointed towards an email exchange between Fernando Alonso and McLaren tester Pedro de la Rosa that took place shortly after the start of the season.

Sources have revealed that in the emails, de la Rosa makes reference to Ferrari set-up secrets that he had obtained from McLaren's suspended chief designer Mike Coughlan.

It is unclear at this stage who tipped off the FIA about the existence of the email exchange.

McLaren and the FIA have not commented on the nature of the new evidence, but autosport.com can confirm that all F1 teams were informed last week that McLaren drivers had been in possession of 'written evidence relevant to this investigation.'

Mosley wrote to all 11 teams last Friday making it clear that it was their duty to provide any evidence relating to the spy affair.

Similar letters were also sent to Alonso, de la Rosa and Lewis Hamilton, asking them to provide any evidence they had in exchange for an 'amnesty' over any possible sanctions.

Although the FIA has not publicly confirmed or denied that the letter was sent to the teams, autosport.com has obtained a copy from an unidentified source detailing the nature of its latest investigation.

In it, Mosley says the FIA was made aware of: "an allegation that one or more McLaren drivers may be in possession, or that such drivers have recently been in possession, of written evidence relevant to this investigation."

Mosley says it is the FIA's duty to find out if this allegation is true and therefore requires the cooperation of all teams involved to provide documents, and then he drops a big hint about email exchanges.

The letter adds: "In particular (though without limiting the generality of this request) the FIA wishes to receive copies of any electronic communications (howsoever conveyed or stored) which may be relevant to this case and which make reference to Ferrari, Nigel Stepney or any technical or other information coming from, or connected with, either Ferrari or Mr Stepney."

It is understood that Alonso and de la Rosa subsequently provided the information about their email exchange at the start of this week, which prompted the FIA to recall the World Motor Sport Council for a hearing on September 13.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2007, 08:31:23 PM »
Todt says spy row damaging F1

By Mark Glendenning and Jonathan Noble Sunday, September 9th 2007, 17:11 GMT

Ferrari team principal Jean Todt acknowledges that Formula One's image is being damaged by the spy saga surrounding his team and McLaren - but thinks it more important that the case is followed through so the truth comes out.

With just four days to go before McLaren face a hearing of the FIA Motor Sport World Council to discuss new evidence in the spy case, Todt said his team were 'sorry' that the matter had erupted in F1.

"I mean, it's a taint on the sport every time that there is a bad controversy," he told reporters at the Monza circuit on Sunday night.

"It can happen in athletics, it can happen with gold medal winners, it can happen with cycling, it can happen with football, and now it is something that is happening in Formula One.

"I think that we are sorry that it is happening in Formula One, but we are in the position where we want the truth to appear. And that's all that we want, and all that we have been working on and doing. And we are confident that the truth will come through."

Ferrari are set to present fresh evidence at the hearing on Thursday, and Todt has made it clear that the matter is likely to carry on whatever the outcome for McLaren.

"For us it is something which is too important and we will move forward in Italy," he said.

"With the FIA, I'm not going to comment on what the decisions will be because I don't know what the decisions will be, and [will] outline what can happen once the decision has been taken. And we will move on with the civil case in the UK as well."

Offline richard

• Administrator
    • Sullivan Computer Consulting Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 06:51:31 AM »
FIA Strips Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes F1 Team Of All Points In Constructor's Standings And Imposes $100 Million Fine.

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Sep07/14_FIA_Strips_Team_Vodafone_McLaren_Mercedes_F1_Team_Of_All_Race_Points_And_Imposes_100_Million_Fine.html