Author Topic: Alonso beats Hamilton to pole  (Read 4203 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Alonso beats Hamilton to pole
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:36:38 PM »
McLaren untouchable as Raikkonen and Coulthard hit trouble

26 May 2007

All things being equal, McLaren should own Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix, after Fernando Alonso just pipped team mate Lewis Hamilton to take the team?s first pole position of the season.

Hamilton was fractionally quicker until he encountered Mark Webber?s Red Bull on the approach to Portier. The Australian moved off line as they went through the tunnel, but Hamilton had lost a precious tenth or two and had to settle for the 1m 15.905s lap he had recorded earlier as he came up with 1m 15.968s.

Meanwhile, Alonso was fast coming up on Nico Rosberg?s Williams, but squeezed in a strong 1m 15.726s lap to settle the issue. When Felipe Massa came up short with 1m 15.967s for Ferrari, that was all she wrote.

But what of Kimi Raikkonen? Well, those who caught what happened to him in Q2 could have been forgiven for thinking that they were watching a replay of Michael Schumacher?s infamous Rascasse parking technique from 2006. But the Finn was not trying anything on; he?d walloped the barrier exiting the Swimming Pool, and had damaged the front suspension on his F2007.

That left him without the required steering lock needed to make it around the tight Rascasse. As he sat, stricken on the outside of the corner, exactly as Schumacher had the previous year, Massa came upon him and decided to go to the left; for a moment a double nightmare loomed for the Scuderia, but Raikkonen was reversing his way out of trouble, and the Brazilian was able to go round the front of his team mate.

Raikkonen crept sheepishly to the pits, where his damaged mount remained. There was, however, a small sliver of a silver lining in his cloud; instead of being 16th on the grid he got moved up a place when the stewards decided that Red Bull?s David Coulthard had impeded Heikki Kovalainen after administering a mighty chop to the Renault driver in Noghes at the end of that session. The Scot?s 1m 16.319s lap left him eighth until they ruled that his action was improper and dropped him to 16th. Then the stewards had a rethink, and put Coulthard 13th, which dropped Raikkonen back to 16th.

The Scot's penalty was either way good news for Jenson Button and Honda; the Englishman got a reprieve for Q3 after missing out to team mate Rubens Barrichello by three-thousandths of a second.

Back to Q3. Giancarlo Fisichella boosted Renault?s fortunes with fourth place in 1m 16.285s, and Rosberg?s final lap brought him 1m 16.439s and fifth after an excellent showing. Webber clung to the third row with sixth fastest 1m 16.784s, and then came the BMW Saubers, which, for once, disappointed. Nick Heidfeld had a messy lap, with slides in the Pool and at Noghes, for 1m 16.832s, and Robert Kubica did 1m 16.955s for eighth. Behind them, the Hondas took the fifth row, with Barrichello on 1m 17.498s and Button on 1m 17.939s.

After the rearrangements, Alex Wurz was the man who just missed the cut in Q2 after lapping his Williams in 1m 16.662s, which leaves him on row six with Toro Rosso?s Tonio Liuzzi. The Italian was the star of Q1 with fourth fastest time of 1m 16.720s behind Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen, but was only sent out right at the end of Q2 and could not better 1m 16.703s in the time available.

Jarno Trulli was yet again Toyota's flagbearer. While Ralf Schumacher again failed to escape Q1, the Italian lapped his TF107 in 1m 16.988s for 14th, ahead of the unfortunate Kovalainen, whose altercation with Coulthard cost him dear. He had to do with 1m 17.125s, which left him ahead of only Raikkonen until the stewards intervened.

The first faller in Q1 was Anthony Davidson, who took his Super Aguri round in 1m 18.250s for 17th ahead of Scott Speed (1m 18.390s), Adrian Sutil (1m 18.418s), Schumacher (1m 18.539s), Takuma Sato (1m 18.554s) and Christijan Albers, who didn?t record a time in his Spyker.

So that?s the provisional grid, but don?t forget the 80 percent chance of rain showers that are forecast all day Sunday.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Alonso beats Hamilton to pole
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »
Alonso leads all-McLaren front row

By Matt Beer Saturday, May 26th 2007, 13:03 GMT

Fernando Alonso beat Lewis Hamilton to pole position for the Monaco Grand Prix by two tenths of a second, as McLaren took their first pole position of the season.

The McLarens had battled for supremacy throughout the qualifying hour, which remained dry despite a light shower shortly before the session.

Hamilton was comfortably fastest in Q1, with Alonso unable to get within four tenths of his teammate, but the positions were reversed in Q2, with Alonso emerging 0.048 seconds quicker.

Hamilton then held provisional pole early in Q3, but a slide at Loews and traffic in the tunnel meant he was unable to improve on his early time. Alonso then produced a 1:15.726 to deny his young teammate his first pole position.

Felipe Massa took third for Ferrari, but his teammate Kimi Raikkonen will start back on the eighth row after an error in the second segment.

Raikkonen clipped the inside barrier at the Swimming Pool exit on his first flying lap in Q2, breaking the Ferrari's right-front suspension.

He continued as far as Rascasse, but the damaged car could not make the corner and ended up parked in virtually the same place as Michael Schumacher had been in the infamous track blocking incident of the 2006 qualifying session.

Massa almost became trapped behind his teammate, before eventually squeezing through the gap between Raikkonen's car and the barrier. The Finn managed to reverse away from the Armco and got back to the pits, but the damage could not be repaired in time.

Giancarlo Fisichella took Renault's best grid spot of 2007 in fourth, with Nico Rosberg and Mark Webber doing likewise for Williams and Red Bull in fifth and sixth respectively. The BMWs will share row four, with Nick Heidfeld ahead.

David Coulthard made it through to the top ten, only for his Q2 times to be deleted as a punishment for blocking Heikki Kovalainen when on an out-lap near the end of the session.

The Red Bull driver was demoted to 16th on the grid, behind Raikkonen, while Kovalainen could only manage 14th.

Coulthard's penalty meant that both Hondas reached the top ten for the first time in 2007. Rubens Barrichello had already made the cut, pushing Jenson Button out of the top ten by 0.003 seconds before the stewards' decision allowed both in. They qualified ninth and 10th.

Vitantonio Liuzzi starred in Q1 with the fourth fastest time, and then achieved a season-best 12th on the grid in Q2, behind Williams' Alex Wurz, and ahead of Jarno Trulli. Toyota had a disastrous session, with Trulli only 14th and Ralf Schumacher failing to get beyond Q1. He will start 20th.

Morning practice pacesetter Adrian Sutil could not repeat his giant-killing performance in qualifying, but did manage to get off the back row, taking 19th. A hydraulic leak meant his Spyker teammate Christijan Albers was unable to set a time.

Both Super Aguris also departed in Q1, with Anthony Davidson 17th and Takuma Sato only 21st. Toro Rosso's Scott Speed was the other man eliminated early, and will start 18th.

Monaco qualifying breakdown Session 1 Session 2 Session 3
Pos Driver Team Pos Time Lap Pos Time Lap Pos Time Lap
1. Alonso McLaren 2. 1:16.059 8 1. 1:15.431 3 1. 1:15.726 11
2. Hamilton McLaren 1. 1:15.685 6 2. 1:15.479 4 2. 1:15.905 12
3. Massa Ferrari 5. 1:16.786 8 5. 1:16.034 7 3. 1:15.967 12
4. Fisichella Renault 12. 1:17.596 7 6. 1:16.054 6 4. 1:16.285 11
5. Rosberg Williams 6. 1:16.870 9 7. 1:16.100 3 5. 1:16.439 12
6. Webber Red Bull 14. 1:17.816 7 9. 1:16.420 6 6. 1:16.784 12
7. Heidfeld BMW Sauber 10. 1:17.385 5 4. 1:15.733 7 7. 1:16.832 12
8. Kubica BMW Sauber 11. 1:17.584 5 3. 1:15.576 7 8. 1:16.955 12
9. Barrichello Honda 8. 1:17.244 10 10. 1:16.454 6 9. 1:17.498 11
10. Button Honda 9. 1:17.297 10 11. 1:16.457 6 10. 1:17.939 12
11. Coulthard* Red Bull 7. 1:17.204 9 8. 1:16.319 7       
12. Wurz Williams 16. 1:17.874 9 12. 1:16.662 7       
13. Liuzzi Toro Rosso 4. 1:16.720 11 13. 1:16.703 6       
14. Trulli Toyota 13. 1:17.686 8 14. 1:16.988 6       
15. Kovalainen Renault 15. 1:17.836 8 15. 1:17.125 8       
16. Raikkonen Ferrari 3. 1:16.251 9 16. No time 2       
17. Davidson Super Aguri 17. 1:18.250 7             
18. Speed Toro Rosso 18. 1:18.390 7             
19. Sutil Spyker 19. 1:18.418 8             
20. R.Schumacher Toyota 20. 1:18.539 8             
21. Sato Super Aguri 21. 1:18.554 10             
22. Albers Spyker 22. No time 3             

* Coulthard was not allowed into Q3 by the stewards, after blocking Kovalainen in Q2

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 01:39:11 PM »
FIA post-qualifying press conference - Monaco

Reproduced with kind permission of the FIA

26 May 2007

Drivers: 1st Fernando Alonso (McLaren Mercedes), 1m15.726s; 2nd Lewis Hamilton (McLaren), 1m15.905s; 3rd Felipe Massa (Ferrari), 1m15.967s.

Q: Fernando, it looked as though that qualifying session had everything: traffic, threat of rain, the combination of fuel load, new tyres etc. A brilliant pole for you.
Fernando Alonso: Yeah, I?m very very happy. It was a very important pole position and, as you said, we had a little bit of everything going on in qualifying. We were expecting rain, it came but very light and it stayed only one lap. The track was a little bit slower but then it picked up again to normal speed. We had traffic, as usual in Monaco. You can?t expect to avoid the traffic and I think it was very stressful for everybody with these so-so weather conditions.

Q: It looked as if you caught Nico Rosberg right at the end of your lap. Do you feel you lost time because of that?
FA: Yes, absolutely. I think Nico was unlucky because when he left the pits, he did a very good ?out? lap and he crossed the line with one second to go, but it was not enough not to hold me up a little in the last three or four corners. But I think Monaco is so special that it?s difficult to have a clear lap.

Q: You were fastest in Q2, set fastest lap of the qualifying session as well. Your thoughts about the race and the speed of the McLaren Mercedes around here? It?s always been a great circuit for the McLaren team.
FA: Yeah, it is. I think the whole weekend has been quite good for us. Even this morning, in wet conditions, the car seemed to be competitive, and we are at the top always, and yeah, I think qualifying has been very good and to be on pole position here in Monaco, as last year as well, is very very important, as we know on this circuit. And to have the first pole position this year for McLaren Mercedes is also special, so I?m really happy. I hope I will enjoy it all day today.

Q: Lewis, as we say, a clean sweep for the McLaren Mercedes team. It looked as if you were held up by Mark Webber going through the tunnel.
Lewis Hamilton: Yeah, I had a fantastic qualifying, I think. It was quite exciting, and then it started to rain in the middle part of the session. I think I was P1 at the time and I was hoping it would continue to rain, but unfortunately it didn?t. It was a bit of a gamble, a bit of a lottery really. I called in and said let?s come into the pits on this lap just in case it rains towards the end. The lap was fantastic, it was really on the limit. I think I touched one of the barriers on the exit of turn four and I was three tenths up on my previous best, and then I got held up by Webber. He was on an ?out? lap. I don?t know whether he saw me or what but he didn?t let me past until turn eight, so I lost half a second behind him. I still managed to pull it back. I was only a tenth off my previous lap but still the tyres were gone and that was that.

Q: Lewis, you?ve won three times here before, twice in Formula Three, once in GP2. It just looks as if you love driving a Formula One car around here.
LH: I do, I do. It?s an awesome track, it?s my favourite and just knowing that you?re brushing the barriers all the time, that there?s no room for error. It?s extremely quick, you wouldn?t believe how quick we?re going round here, 180 miles an hour between? there?s not really much room there. And to me, for my first Grand Prix, I?m really happy to be second. It?s good for the team and I think Fernando did a great job, but I think tomorrow is going to be interesting.

Q: Felipe, P3 for you and an interesting moment in Q2 when your team-mate Kimi R?ikk?nen seemed to stop in a familiar place for Ferrari, and you almost hit him, for the outside, anyway.
Felipe Massa: Yeah. I just saw the yellow flags but I didn?t expect somebody to be stopped in the middle of the track, and so it was a little bit of a moment. I just managed to pass by without touching. Apart from that, the qualifying was not so bad, so looking at the pace of McLaren in practice, in the sessions, in Q1, Q2, I think in the end I managed to do a good lap. The race in Monaco is always special, there are always some surprises, so hopefully we can have a good race tomorrow, try to score as many points as possible and hopefully be on the podium.

Q: What were the conditions like from your point of view in terms of potential rain, any rain drops falling, and indeed, the traffic?
FM: Well, the conditions today were pretty difficult. Tomorrow we have the possibility of having some showers, maybe even in the race, so if we have that, it will really be a big lottery and it will be a little bit of a funny race but hopefully we stop in the pits to change tyres at the right moment, to do everything in the right way. The race is pretty long as well, so concentration will be very important. Hopefully we can put everything together tomorrow.

Q: Returning to Fernando, your final thoughts on tomorrow, particularly as McLaren is the most successful team ever around Monaco. I guess it?s going to be interesting from your point of view to see when Ferrari stop for fuel.
FA: I think it?s always very special to be on pole in Monaco, but also to be as long as you can in terms of fuel loads, so you need to find a compromise and we will see tomorrow how our competitors found the perfect strategy and hopefully our strategy will be better. But you never know. I think with very interesting weather conditions as well, it?s a very unexpected race probably.

Q: When you look back to last year, on pole then, and victory followed the day after; you must already be a little optimistic.
FA: I think we need to wait. I think this year is a little more special, regarding the weather conditions which are not 100 percent sure, either wet or dry, so I think it could be a very difficult race, and a little bit like a lottery for everybody. So I think even starting from pole position, we have to be calm in tomorrow?s race and wait and see, because the race will be very long. I also think that the cars are a little bit more difficult to drive this year with these tyres, especially under braking. We saw a lot of people going off on Thursday and the level of concentration will also be extremely high. The race is so long that even pole position will probably mean nothing.

Q: Are you expecting rain tomorrow?
FA: I don?t know. The team said four different things in one hour, so I think everybody is so confused, the weather is changing so quickly, so I think until tomorrow at one o?clock we will not have a perfect prediction.

Q: What was it like in the wet conditions this morning?
FA: It was very very difficult. I think all the white lines are very very slippery. There is no possibility to avoid them because they are all around the lap. Also the kerbs are very slippery as well, as normal, and here it?s quite tight, the circuit is very narrow, so if you cannot touch the white lines, and you cannot touch the kerbs, there?s not much space to put the car. I think it was difficult for everybody.

Q: I hope pole position means something?
FA: It means something but 78 laps tomorrow, we cannot forget the points are Sunday afternoon, not Saturday.

Q: Lewis, very interesting time on your very first lap when in theory you?ve got a race fuel load which was only 0.2s slower than your fastest time in the first session. Does that tell us about your fuel strategy?
LH: I don?t think so. You can take what you want from it, but it definitely doesn?t mean anything about my fuel load. I think we were just extremely quick and I felt great in the car. I thought it was almost exactly the same time as I did at the end, I thought I did 1m15.9s on heavy fuel. I think that?s what I qualified second with. It was good, a good lap, but at the end? it was a really exciting qualifying session. I think we did a very good job. I thought the team was quite accurate with the weather conditions; they said it was going to rain when it rained, and mid-part of the last run, it started to spit. I was on a good lap and I was fortunate to finish it but then we couldn?t push for the rest of the laps. We came in, got the tyres on, and started the lap and it was good. I was three and a half tenths up by turn four and then I caught Mark Webber and I lost half a second behind him but still managed to do exactly the same time. I?m really happy with it, it?s good for the team and I think it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Q: You seemed to have a drama at the hairpin - Portier; was that Webber-induced?
LH: Yeah, well I caught him through turn four and I don?t know whether he didn?t see me or what. In the drivers? briefing, he was saying ?they need to be hard on us for holding people up? and he came out and held me up. But I think it was the same for everyone. It doesn?t really affect me, I still got second. That?s good.

Q: Felipe, disappointed or pleased with third?
FM: Pleased because I did a good lap, so I think it was a good position, looking at McLaren?s pace. I think it was a good lap, I tried the best I could, so I think starting third is not a bad result, looking that the race here in Monaco is always very special. I think I?m definitely not disappointed. I?m confident, looking forward to the race tomorrow, and trying to finish the race with as many points as I can, looking at the championship.

Q: Were you held up by traffic at all? You were having a word with Kubica at the end.
FM: I don?t think it was me. I had traffic, but only on my first run, which was Lewis but then when I did my best lap, I didn?t have any traffic, so it was a very clean lap, so it was pretty OK, no particular problem.

QUESTIONS FROM THE FLOOR

Q: (Sal Zanca ? Associated Press) Fernando, what kind of race would you like ? a dry, sunny and straightforward one or a tricky one with a chance to show how good you are?
FA: I would prefer a sunny race and a completely dry race. It is already special and a lottery at Monaco always, especially this year with the new Safety Car rule that can be a drama tomorrow for everybody, so I think starting from that problem even if you had a wet track, it would be a very difficult race and starting from pole a normal race is better for me and would mean more points for sure.

Q: (Rodrigo Franca ? Racing Magazine) You three said Monaco is special because of everything. Ayrton Senna was remembered just yesterday and I would like you all to say something about him?
FA: I say always the same because for me in Spain it was not possible for me to watch Formula One because it was not on television when I was a kid, but some of the news that was coming to Spain after the Formula One races (made it possible that) I was able to see Senna winning races because it was 88 and 89 the good years of Senna and McLaren. I always remember that white and red car and the yellow helmet of him. He was my favourite driver even if I did not see him on TV because he was in the news.
LH: Ayrton was my favourite driver and when I first started watching Formula One it was the red and white car at the front and as a little boy I was always dreaming of driving that car and I am driving it now and, so, you know, when you come to Monaco? I have lots of memories of watching him win here and when he lost a race when he crashed and I was definitely emotional when he passed away, but still ? it is great to be racing here and to be doing as well as he always did when he was racing.
FM: I was a big fan of his and all of us. He was particular here in this race he was a kind of king of Monaco and it would be nice to have him here just for five minutes to ask him what he was doing here just to help me a little bit!

Q: (Juha P??talo ? Financial Times Germany) Felipe, was there any way you could have got pole position, maybe with some strategies, or were McLaren just too fast?
FM: I don?t know. The strategy we will know tomorrow. So after the race maybe I will tell you if it was possible to use a different strategy to take pole position. But in the end maybe the pole position is not everything and the race is the most important thing. We have a reasonable good strategy ? we will know that tomorrow ? and I think I did a good lap as well, but I think pole position today was a bit difficult.

Q: (Livio Oricchio ? O Estado de Sao Paulo) For Alonso and Lewis, you are first and second on the grid and in the championship. All the drivers this year who led through the first corner went on to win the race. Will you talk to each other about the start?
FA: The team will say to us something I think. We respect each other obviously and want the best for the other one, inside the team, and we want to beat our opponent that this year seems to be Ferrari and starting first and second at Monaco what we aim is to finish first and second because it is the most points and apart from that I don?t think there are any problems between us and it should be just a normal race.
LH: I agree. The team will speak to us before, but we are professional. We respect each other and we are team-mates and we want to do a good job for the team, but we also want to win and we will go into that first corner probably not as aggressively as we would if we were going into it with a Ferrari. But we are going to be conservative and see what happens. We are on different fuel strategies, similar pace. So we?ll have to see how it goes. It is going to be difficult tomorrow with the conditions and also you never know when the pace car is going to come out. We?ll see.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi ? La Gazzetta dello Sport) Felipe, did you feel extra pressure as the only Ferrari driver fighting for pole?
FM: No, usually, we drive alone. We don?t drive with two drivers. We have our own cars and we drive alone. So it didn?t mean anything to me.

Q: (Fr?d?ric Ferret ? L?Equipe) Lewis and Fernando, how is the pace of the McLaren in the long runs?
LH: I think we have seen in the past the Ferraris have been extremely very quick, but I think if you look at it we have been the quickest this weekend. I think we have a great car, the best car, and I think on Thursday we had a very good long run, very consistent, so I have no worries going into the race.
FA: Same.

Q: (St?phane Barb? ? L?Equipe) Fernando, at the end of the day, are you able or not to know the fuel strategy of your opponent?
FA: Not really. We try to analyse the whole weekend all the times of everybody and estimate what fuel load they can run. But it is not so easy and not so precise. Especially here in Monaco you can go up and down two-tenths very easily with a kerb you touch in a bad way. So this weekend our estimation will not be very important. We just need to do our (own) race and hope it will be better than the others.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi ? La Gazzetta dello Sport) Kimi had a bad day. Do you think this will have an affect in the championship?
FA: Well, there are 17 races and we saw, unfortunately, in the last two years, that after having a big gap in the middle of the season, it can disappear in the end. If you do a good last part of the championship, you can win, as Michael did last year ? he was 25 points behind me after Canada and then equal in Japan after six or seven races. So I think even if you lose points now, it is not over. You can do a good recovery in the last part. But it is so tight and close between Ferrari and McLaren this year that any mechanical problem that you have with your car is costing you a lot of points unfortunately.
LH: Sorry, I was in a daze there? I didn?t know if that question was for me! I think it was unfortunate but I don?t really know what happened to him. I thought he spun and I got held up by Felipe. He had to stop and I had to stop on one lap, but I think it is difficult for him at the moment. Obviously, Felipe is doing a better job and whether he is being more fortunate or what I am not sure. But he is doing a good job. As Fernando said it is a long season and there is a long way to go so he has time to catch up if he needs to.
FM: I agree with what Fernando said. He said everything. The only thing is that he had a bad qualifying, but if it is raining maybe he can have a good race tomorrow even starting from the back. You never know. The races here can be very different. But it is also true that there are many races to go. It is important also to be consistent, every race, but there is nothing finished yet. You can recover. Maybe one of us can have a bad day tomorrow. I had already my bad day in qualifying at the first race.

Q: (Ian Parkes ? The Press Association) Lewis, are you happy to curb your natural instincts at the start of the race tomorrow?
LH: Yes, I think you have to run on your natural instincts and see how the start goes. If I get a better start and it looks like I can pass, then I probably will, but I won?t do anything silly to risk pushing both of us out of the race. It is a long, long race and I think I feel good about our strategies and I feel we can come away with a one-two. So, it is important we are sensible.

Q: (Malcolm Folley ? The Mail on Sunday) Lewis, have you had a chance to put into perspective what starting the Monaco Grand Prix from the front row of the grid will feel like?
LH: I think it is going to be, well?Driving this track, every year, is just something special for me. To come here and to drive for a team I always wanted to drive for in my first Grand Prix here, it?s a very, very special moment for me. Tomorrow, we just want to finish the race in the points, continue the way we have been going this season. It will be amazing to be sitting at the front there.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 01:40:29 PM »
Dennis bullish on McLaren's chances

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, May 26th 2007, 13:59 GMT

McLaren boss Ron Dennis thinks that his team are on course for victory in tomorrow's Monaco Grand Prix - providing it remains dry.

Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton sealed the front row of the grid after dominating the weekend so far, and Dennis is bullish about their chances of maintaining that form in the race.

"They both did a great job," Dennis told ITV after the session. "Clearly we have to put them on different strategies and we are absolutely delighted with the outcome of qualifying. Now we want a dry race and I think we should get the job done."

Although Alonso has a big advantage by starting from pole position, the key to victory tomorrow will almost certainly depend on which of the two drivers has the better fuel strategy.

And although Dennis has dropped short of confirming that Hamilton may actually be best placed on that front, he has said that the Briton's chances look good from where he is starting.

"(Pole position) narrowly escaped him, but he has got plenty of races to get pole position," said Dennis about Hamilton. "Being on the front row - he is in really good shape."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »
  GO TO EARLIER STORY GO TO THE NEWS INDEX  GO TO NEXT STORY 

Monaco Saturday quotes: McLaren

Saturday, May 26th 2007, 15:26 GMT

Fernando Alonso - 1st: "I'm so happy to take my first pole position for the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team here in Monaco. The car has been working well throughout the weekend, and we have been competitive in all conditions. As always seems to happen in Monaco I got caught up in traffic on my last flying lap but that is one of the challenges of this place.

"Qualifying was extremely stressful due to the constant threat of rain. We even started the third session on fresh tyres just in case. I don't know what the weather will bring tomorrow which can make for an interesting race. Obviously pole position gives you the best possible start to the race but there are 78 laps and as its Monaco anything can happen. However the car is quick, and we have a strong strategy, so I'm hopeful of a good result."

Lewis Hamilton - 2nd: "To start my first Formula One race in Monaco from the front row is amazing and for the team to have a one-two is just fantastic. I have really enjoyed my weekend and qualifying was no exception. It's hard to explain, but around this circuit you are just constantly on the limit.

"My last flying lap was affected by traffic in Turn 4 and I lost a lot of time but that is just the challenge of this place. The car has been super all the way through, and I believe we have a strong strategy. I think it will be a great race, and hopefully Fernando and I can provide the team with a one-two finish."

Ron Dennis: "To have both Fernando and Lewis on the front row for the Monaco Grand Prix is a well deserved reward for all the hard work by the team so far this season. Both drivers drove good qualifying laps and the team coped well with the challenges that the rain briefly brought. There is a long race in front of us, so whilst we enjoy the moment we know that it's the race tomorrow that counts for us to retain our lead in both World Championships."

Norbert Haug: "This was one of the most thrilling qualifying sessions here in Monaco with a great result for the team. Congratulations to Fernando on his first pole position for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and to Lewis on his performance during his first two days in Formula One on this challenging circuit.

"The team worked excellently from the first minute of Thursday's practice and today brought the best reward, but tomorrow is the race when our target is to achieve a similar result as today."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 01:46:01 PM »
Qualifying - selected driver quotes

26 May 2007

Red Bull?s David Coulthard and Renault?s Heikki Kovalainen on their tussle for track space during Q2; Ferrari?s Kimi Raikkonen on starting Sunday?s race from P15; and Fernando Alonso on scoring McLaren?s first pole of the season. All 22 drivers report back on Saturday?s action?

Fernando Alonso, McLaren (1st, 1m 15.726s):
"I'm so happy to take my first pole position for the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team here in Monaco. The car has been working well throughout the weekend, and we have been competitive in all conditions. As always seems to happen in Monaco I got caught up in traffic on my last flying lap but that is one of the challenges of this place.

"Qualifying was extremely stressful due to the constant threat of rain. We even started the third session on fresh tyres just in case. I don't know what the weather will bring tomorrow which can make for an interesting race. Obviously pole position gives you the best possible start to the race but there are 78 laps and as its Monaco anything can happen. However the car is quick, and we have a strong strategy, so I'm hopeful of a good result."

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (2nd, 1m 15.905s):
"To start my first Formula One race in Monaco from the front row is amazing and for the team to have a one-two is just fantastic. I have really enjoyed my weekend and qualifying was no exception. It's hard to explain, but around this circuit you are just constantly on the limit.

"My last flying lap was affected by traffic in Turn 4 and I lost a lot of time, but that is just the challenge of this place. The car has been super all the way through, and I believe we have a strong strategy. I think it will be a great race, and hopefully Fernando and I can provide the team with a one-two finish."

Felipe Massa, Ferrari (3rd, 1m 15.967s):
"I am happy as I did a good lap, without traffic and I am in a good position for tomorrow's race. I am confident and will try for a good result. The race here is very long and it is vital to maintain concentration. If it were to rain, it would make it even more of a lottery. It was very complicated today to choose the right moment to go out on track, both in terms of traffic and the weather, with the rain threatening to arrive at any moment. I had seen the yellow flags for Kimi and it was a bit of a tricky moment at Rascasse, when I found him stopped in front of me on the track, but somehow I managed to get by with damaging my car."

Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault (4th, 1m 16.285s):
?This was a very good day for us, and I am proud of the job we have done not only this weekend, but also during the last weeks at the factory. The team has been working night and day to improve the performance of the R27, and this is another concrete sign that we are getting there. The car wasn't perfect at the start of qualifying, but we made some small changes to the balance, and it was handling really well during the final part. Starting fourth is very promising for tomorrow's race, but I think today also shows that we will be stronger at the next races too. Monaco is an unusual circuit, and we are not getting too excited, but we are definitely moving in the right direction.?

Nico Rosberg, Williams (5th, 1m 16.439s):
"I couldn't really predict where we would end up today, so qualifying fifth was fine. I was pushing like hell out there, particularly because I had some damage to my rear suspension on the first few laps of Q2, so it was really important that I recorded such a good time in the first run even if the track wasn't at its best and this got me through to the third session.

"Starting grid position is everything in Monaco, so we did well in the most important task so far this weekend. I reckon our chances for tomorrow's race are very good. We would be happy to finish where we are starting from - fifth place would be good, but it would be great to do better."

Mark Webber, Red Bull (6th, 1m 16.784s):
?The session went pretty well. I was having trouble getting into a good rhythm at the start to be honest, but as the session continued, I felt more comfortable with the car. It was a bit frantic in the last part of Q3 when there was a little bit of rain, but sixth is not bad so I'm looking forward to the start of the race tomorrow.?

Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber (7th, 1m 16.832s):
?We have improved the car since Thursday's practice and the lap times in Q2 were very promising, but I am not too happy about grid position seven. In Q3 we had some minor problems. We changed early to the soft tyres because there was some light rain which worried us. This meant the track conditions were not ideal and we had a little too much fuel on board. On top of that I made a small mistake after the tunnel. From grid position seven you can't expect too much. But on the other hand - in Monaco almost everything can happen.?

Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber (8th, 1m 16.955s):
?I am very happy about the car's performance, but not about the position. Let's see how we will be tomorrow compared to the others with our strategy. I am satisfied as this morning because of the weather we couldn't do more running. In Q2 we were competitive, in Q3 less, but we will see. The car was good, much better balance than Thursday, so I am really looking forward to the race as I think we are in good shape for it.?

Rubens Barrichello, Honda (9th, 1m 17.498s):
?I would like to say a big thank you to the whole team today. We did a fantastic job to make it through to the final session. Little by little we are improving and although we still have a long way to go and a lot of work to do, we are encouraged. I know we will get back to where we belong. I'm very excited for tomorrow. This is always a great race but starting P9 really gives us a shot at the points.?

Jenson Button, Honda (10th, 1m 17.939s):
?It's great that we made it through to the third session today. Definitely a step in the right direction. My radio wasn't working properly and it was crackling the whole time so in the end I had to unplug it completely, which was far from ideal because we had to be 'on it' the whole time during today's qualifying. Monaco places a premium on qualifying position so what we have achieved today is great. The team did a good job and we can do well tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to it.?

Alexander Wurz, Williams (11th, 1m 16.662s):
"Today's outcome all came down to my last run in Q2 when I slid a bit wide in turn one and I guess that cost me making it through to Q3 and a place in the top ten.

"There is not much more to add - I am now 11th on the grid, so tomorrow I will see if it is possible to score some points, which some drivers have certainly managed in the past. To do this here will be hard, but it's a long race, so let's wait and see."

Vitantonio Liuzzi, Toro Rosso (12th, 1m 16.703s):
?A good qualifying, but not so good this morning, when a radiator problem meant I did not do many laps and here in Monaco it is very important to do a lot of kilometers. Q1 went perfectly, but we could have done better in Q2. We made a set up change to the front wing and that affected the handling at the rear and this cost me time. But I am confident I can have a good race tomorrow.?

Jarno Trulli, Toyota (13th, 1m 16.988s):
?That was a difficult day for us. First of all we knew that in these conditions, after the rain earlier today, the track was not rubbered in and in that situation we struggle a bit compared to the others. I then had several problems during Q2. First, when I was on a quick lap at the end of the session, I had traffic and that cost me more than a second in the last sector. In the last run I had a problem with the brakes, I could not push any more because it was too dangerous. It will be difficult in the race because overtaking is so hard here but I will give it my all tomorrow.?

Heikki Kovalainen, Renault (14th, 1m 17.125s):
?It was a very frustrating qualifying session for me. My laps in the first part were not great, but I was getting more and more confident with the car, and on my final run I thought I could have made it into the top ten. I came round the first corner on my flying lap and saw Coulthard's Red Bull coming out of the pits, and thought he would move over after Casino - or into the Tunnel at the latest. But he just stayed there all the way round, and ruined the lap; to say the least, I was very surprised to see that from the most experienced driver in the field. It was a session to forget, so now I need to focus on tomorrow. From P14 it will be a very tough race, but I am determined to attack as much as possible, and try to make up positions.?

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari (15th, no time):
"There's little to say after this qualifying session. I was on my first run with soft tyres when, coming out of the Swimming Pool Chicane, I hit the barrier with the left front wheel. At first it seemed that everything was alright, but when I got to Rascasse, the car would not make the turn. I managed to get back to the pits and the mechanics tried to fix the car but we realized it could not be done in time. Here, the very slightest error costs you dear and it is a real shame because I think I could have fought for pole position. However, I will start from the seventh row so I am expecting a very tough race, but I will do all I can to get a good result for the team."

David Coulthard, Red Bull (16th, 1m 17.204s):
?I didn't know Kovalainen was on a timed lap or else, quite clearly, I would have got out of the way. I did communicate with the team to find out what was happening with the traffic around me, but there was a misunderstanding so I didn't get the correct information. It's disappointing as we were progressing well though out the sessions and I was pretty confident I could get the most out of the car.?

Anthony Davidson, Super Aguri (17th, 1m 18.250s):
?As was the case for everybody, we experienced really difficult conditions today. The qualifying session was quite frantic and I feel that my side of the garage did a great job in getting the car out there in a good space. It was unfortunate to miss out on not getting a final run in as we wanted to try and complete three runs because it looked like it could rain at any moment. However, I don't feel anyone did anything wrong, so I'm happy with what we did, it was just bad luck.?

Scott Speed, Toro Rosso (18th, 1m 18.390s):
?Confusion in the pits cost me a lot today, as I got called into the weighbridge and then ended up coming into the garage just before Tonio arrived in the pit stop position. On top of that, my brakes were on fire when I came into the weighbridge. Just a bad day all round.?

Adrian Sutil, Spyker (19th, 1m 18.418s):
?It was very surprising to see my name at the top of the times after practice, but I was obviously very pleased! I had the perfect run. In qualifying later my first set of tyres were okay, but the track was not quite in so I took it a little bit easy as I hadn't used the soft tyres and didn't know what to expect. The second lap was very good and on the third I was really on the edge. The tyres performed very well and I was very close to P17. I did a good first sector, but then the tyres dropped down and I couldn't do the same again. It was a good day though and I hope in the race I can push back to the front.?

Ralf Schumacher, Toyota (20th, 1m 18.539s):
?That was a very disappointing and difficult session for me. Qualifying around Monaco with 22 cars on such a twisty track at once is always difficult and Q1 was made a bit trickier with the rain just before the session started which affected the track conditions. Unfortunately I was not really content with my set-up and I did not make it to Q2 so of course I am not happy. That?s the way it goes at Monaco sometimes. It?s unfortunate we will start so far down on the grid on a track like this where overtaking is so hard but we?ll just try to do the best job possible in the race tomorrow.?

Takuma Sato, Super Aguri (21st, 1m 18.554s):
?Obviously the morning wet session made it difficult for everybody, but at least we collected good data for running in these conditions. Going into qualifying, the first outing was just a warm up and then in the second outing I caught some traffic, so I wasn't able to do a relevant quick lap. Then when I came back to the pit to prepare for the last qualifying lap our timing plan was incorrect and we couldn't make it across the line for a third run, which was very disappointing.?

Christijan Albers, Spyker (22nd, no time):
?It was a bad day for me and it's a shame for the team that we couldn't do more. This morning I had some issues and now in the qualifying with the hydraulic problem. It's sad I couldn't take advantage of the conditions but I am sure we'll get on top of them for tomorrow and have a good race.?

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 01:49:08 PM »
Hamilton won't hold back at the start

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, May 26th 2007, 17:00 GMT

Lewis Hamilton has said that he will go for the lead at the start of tomorrow's Monaco Grand Prix - although he has vowed not to risk taking them both out of the race.

Although teammate Fernando Alonso's pole position will give him an advantage into the first corner, Hamilton has made it clear that he is not going to automatically accept following the reigning world champion from the start.

"I think you have to run on your natural instincts and see how the start goes," said Hamilton about whether he will look for an opportunity to get past Alonso.

"If I get a better start and it looks like I can pass, then I probably will, but I won't do anything silly to risk pushing both of us out of the race.

"It is a long, long race and I think I feel good about our strategies and I feel we can come away with a one-two. So, it is important we are sensible."

Hamilton has said he expects McLaren to speak to both drivers before the start to ensure there is no embarrassing coming together.

"The team will speak to us before, but we are professional," he said. "We respect each other, we are teammates and we want to do a good job for the team, but we also want to win.

"We will go into that first corner probably not as aggressively as we would if we were going into it with a Ferrari.

"But we are going to be conservative and see what happens. We are on different fuel strategies, similar pace. So we'll have to see how it goes. It is going to be difficult tomorrow with the conditions and also you never know when the pace car is going to come out. We'll see."

Alonso said he did not expect any problems between Hamilton and himself at the first corner.

"The team will say to us something I think. We respect each other obviously and want the best for the other one. Inside the team we want to beat our opponent that this year seems to be Ferrari, and starting first and second at Monaco (the) aim is to finish first and second, because it is the most points.

"Apart from that, I don't think there are any problems between us and it should be just a normal race."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »
Monaco-Brake fading problem

In Thursday's practice sessions in Monaco (and even to some degree in Saturday's cooler, wet session), many cars suffered significant brake fade - in some cases it contributed to them running into the barriers. The problem, according to engineers from brake manufacturers Brembo, is the fact that this year's harder tyres provide less grip. This forces engineers to switch the car's brake bias towards the rear - and cooling rear brakes is harder than cooling front brakes. Cooling the rears relies largely on efficient extraction of heat (red arrows), whereas the fronts have far more efficient ventilation to prevent heat build-up (as shown with the multiple inlets on the Williams here). Monaco is not 'hard' on brakes in the traditional sense, but the short intervals between braking points gives the discs little time to cool. According to Brembo, this means drivers have to apply as much as 105 kilograms of pressure to the brake pedal - quite a physical strain over 78 race laps.