Author Topic: Hamilton returns to the cockpit  (Read 1864 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hamilton returns to the cockpit
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:04:09 AM »

By Matt Beer    Wednesday, January 21st 2009, 11:05 GMT

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Portimao testing 2009World champion Lewis Hamilton has returned to the track for the first time since last year's dramatic title-clinching race in Brazil.

The Briton, like most champions before him, had an extended winter break and did not participate in the pre-Christmas tests, but is getting his first taste of the new McLaren MP4-24 at Portimao today.

The team's test driver Pedro de la Rosa had handled the latest machine's initial tests, and Hamilton will drive today before handing it over to teammate Heikki Kovalainen tomorrow.

Hamilton said at last week's McLaren launch that the winter break had been very good for him after 2008's extremely intense title battle.

"I was fortunate to have some time off over Christmas," he said. "I enjoyed myself, relaxed and completely put my racing out of my mind, and was able to live life normally."

Sebastien Buemi (Toro Rosso), Nico Rosberg (Williams), Timo Glock (Toyota) and Fernando Alonso (Renault) are also on track at Portimao today.