Author Topic: Hamilton not thinking of Schumacher record  (Read 1724 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hamilton not thinking of Schumacher record
« on: November 29, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »

By Pablo Elizalde    Thursday, November 27th 2008, 10:49 GMT

Lewis HamiltonWorld champion Lewis Hamilton says he is not focused on matching Michael Schumacher's record of seven titles in Formula One.

The British McLaren driver became the sport's youngest ever world champion last season, in only his second year in Formula One.

Hamilton lost the title by just one point in his debut season, and his meteoric career suggests he is set for more records.

The McLaren driver says there is more he wants to achieve in Formula One, but he admits he is not interested in matching Schumacher, the most successful driver in history.

"There's always more to achieve," Hamilton told the Woking News & Mail newspaper in an interview. "I do want to win more races and championships in Formula One. But I'm not sure I want to do what Michael Schumacher did and win all those tiles.

"I would be happy to win more - but I've not really focused on that yet," he added.

Schumacher won seven title and 91 races before retiring at the age of 37.

Hamilton, who will turn 24 in January, also confessed he was overwhelmed by the way he was welcomed at the Woking factory after winning the title.

"Coming back to Woking in the days after winning the world championship - it was just amazing," he said. "I mean, I thought I was just turning up for the day and I didn't really expect to be getting into a car and finding the whole team waiting for me.

"As a racing driver, you're are really driven by, not just that support that comes from your team, but from the feeling that you don't want to let those people down. That they've worked so hard to help you and you have to live up to all their effort."