Author Topic: Hamilton wins chaotic Japanese GP  (Read 4054 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hamilton wins chaotic Japanese GP
« on: September 30, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
By Matt Beer Sunday, September 30th 2007, 06:35 GMT

Lewis Hamilton took a huge step closer to the world championship title by winning a sodden and chaotic Japanese Grand Prix, while his teammate and title rival Fernando Alonso crashed out.

The result puts Hamilton 12 points clear of Alonso with only two races to go.

Renault's Heikki Kovalainen and Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen came through to second and third, despite Raikkonen falling to the rear of the field early on.

The first 19 laps of the race were run behind the safety car due to the appalling visibility at Fuji. Despite instructions from race control that the field must start on extreme wet tyres, the Ferraris were both fitted with intermediates, and had to stop during the caution.

Both Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen also had spins while behind the safety car, with Massa incurring a drive-through penalty for overtaking under yellow after his rotation.

The McLarens eased away when the race began, while in their wake Jenson Button tapped Nick Heidfeld into a half-spin at Turn 1, dropping the BMW to 10th and breaking the Honda's front wing.

Toro Rosso's Sebastian Vettel avoided the mess and moved up to third, followed by Mark Webber. Button persevered in fifth with no wing for several laps before admitting defeat and pitting, which moved Giancarlo Fisichella and Kovalainen up to fifth and sixth.

Having run light fuel loads in their battle for pole, both McLarens had to make pitstops within eight laps of the race getting underway. Alonso pitted first and emerged behind the Renaults and Robert Kubica, but Hamilton ran one lap further and was able to extend his lead sufficiently to come out between Webber and Fisichella.

That put Vettel into the lead for the first time in his short Grand Prix career, where he stayed for four laps before pitting and handing the advantage to Webber, who stayed out a further four laps at the head of the field.

Meanwhile the McLarens were having a bruising time in traffic. Running light on fuel, Kubica passed both Renaults and then attacked Hamilton, but tagged the McLaren into a spin. Both were able to resume after a seven second delay, and Kubica was later given a drive-through penalty for the incident.

Just one lap later Alonso was also in trouble, as Vettel ran into him at Turn 1. The second McLaren also spun, and sustained bodywork damage, before continuing in eighth behind Raikkonen - who had made determined progress through the field early on but would lose many of the places gained when he had to pit again on lap 40.

The Renaults - Kovalainen ahead of Fisichella after passing his teammate on lap 30 - ran at the head of the field for several laps before making their sole stops on laps 39 and 40.

That put Hamilton back to the front of the field, ahead of Webber and Vettel, who had swapped places during the pitstops, with Alonso fourth and 10 seconds behind his teammate.

Alonso was starting to edge back into contention, but then aquaplaned into the tyre wall on the approach to Turn 6 on lap 42. The McLaren was wrecked in the massive accident, which scattered debris across the track and prompted another safety car period.

As the field prepared for the restart four laps later, Red Bull's potential superb day fell apart as Vettel ran into the back of Webber at the final corner, taking both out and leaving Vettel distraught and Webber furious.

Kovalainen therefore ran second behind Hamilton when the race resumed, followed by Massa, who had not pitted since topping up with fuel under the long first caution.

The Brazilian had to come in on lap 58, which moved the recovering Raikkonen onto the podium, the Finn having passed David Coulthard around the outside of Turn 5 two laps earlier.

Raikkonen continued to push hard - taking several trips over the asphalt run-off areas - and closed in on Kovalainen in the closing laps, but had to settle for third despite vigorous efforts to pass the Renault.

Kovalainen therefore clinched his first podium, and Renault's first of 2007.

Ahead of them, Hamilton made serene progress towards what could be a critical victory. He had quickly pulled out a lead over Kovalainen following the restart, and ultimately won by 8.3 seconds.

Coulthard provided some comfort for Red Bull by taking fourth, ahead of Fisichella. Heidfeld was set for sixth until his BMW stopped at the start of the final laps.

Rubens Barrichello had been set for his first point of the season in eighth until having to come in for a splash and go fuel stop with seven laps to go. Honda had fuelled him under the first safety car in the hope that the race might not run to its full duration, but the Brazilian ended up 12th, behind teammate Button.

That allowed Massa back into the points, and he moved up to seventh when Heidfeld retired. The Brazilian then closed in rapidly on Kubica and grabbed sixth after a wild, wheel-banging, battle on the final lap.

Vitantonio Liuzzi secured Toro Rosso's first point of the year in eighth. He had run as high as fourth after also fuelling up during the early yellow laps. He ultimately fell down the order after pitting under the caution for Alonso's crash.

Adrian Sutil took ninth after a very strong race for Spyker. The German had charged into the top ten early on, but wasn't able to turn his speed into a first points finish.

PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS

The Japanese Grand Prix
Mount Fuji, Japan;
67 laps; 305.721km;
Weather: Wet.

Classified:

Pos  Driver        Team                      Time
 1.  Hamilton      McLaren-Mercedes     (B)  2h00:34.759
 2.  Kovalainen    Renault              (B)  +     8.377
 3.  Raikkonen     Ferrari              (B)  +     9.478
 4.  Coulthard     Red Bull-Renault     (B)  +    20.297
 5.  Fisichella    Renault              (B)  +    38.864
 6.  Massa         Ferrari              (B)  +    49.042
 7.  Kubica        BMW Sauber           (B)  +    49.285
 8.  Liuzzi        Toro Rosso-Ferrari   (B)  +    55.622
 9.  Sutil         Spyker-Ferrari       (B)  +  1:00.129
10.  Barrichello   Honda                (B)  +  1:28.342
11.  Button        Honda                (B)  +     1 lap
12.  Yamamoto      Spyker-Ferrari       (B)  +     1 lap
13.  Trulli        Toyota               (B)  +     1 lap
14.  Heidfeld      BMW Sauber           (B)  +    2 laps
15.  Sato          Super Aguri-Honda    (B)  +    2 laps

Fastest lap: Hamilton, 1:28.193

Not classified/retirements:

Driver        Team                      On lap
R.Schumacher  Toyota               (B)    56
Davidson      Super Aguri-Honda    (B)    55
Rosberg       Williams-Toyota      (B)    50
Vettel        Spyker-Ferrari       (B)    47
Webber        Red Bull-Renault     (B)    47
Alonso        McLaren-Mercedes     (B)    42
Wurz          Williams-Toyota      (B)    20

World Championship standings, round 15:               

Drivers:                    Constructors:             
 1.  Hamilton     107        1.  Ferrari              170
 2.  Alonso        95        2.  BMW Sauber            92
 3.  Raikkonen     90        3.  Renault               51
 4.  Massa         80        4.  Williams-Toyota       28
 5.  Heidfeld      56        5.  Red Bull-Renault      23
 6.  Kubica        35        6.  Toyota                12
 7.  Kovalainen    30        7.  Super Aguri-Honda      4
 8.  Fisichella    21        8.  Honda                  2
 9.  Rosberg       15        9.  Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1
10.  Coulthard     13       
11.  Wurz          13       
12.  Webber        10       
13.  Trulli         7       
14.  R.Schumacher   5       
15.  Sato           4       
16.  Button         2       
17.  Vettel         1       
18.  Liuzzi         1       

All timing unofficial

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Hamilton wins chaotic Japanese GP
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 12:22:29 PM »
Alonso says he needs a miracle now

By Pablo Elizalde Sunday, September 30th 2007, 06:48 GMT

World champion Fernando Alonso says he now needs a miracle to retain his crown following his retirement from the Japanese Grand Prix.

Alonso is 12 points behind McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton after the Briton won a chaotic Japanese Grand Prix on Sunday to move ever so close to the title in his rookie season.

There are just two races remaining.

Alonso crashed out of the Fuji race after losing control of his car with 42 laps remaining.

The Spaniard vowed not to give up until the championship is over, but he conceded that he will need a miracle, in the form a retirement from Hamilton, to win the title.

"I'm not throwing in the towel, but unless there is a retirement from Hamilton we have to be realistic and see that it's very hard to recover six points per race," said Alonso after the race.

"It means winning the two remaining races and expect him to finish fifth or sixth, so realistically it's very complicated and we'll need a retirement from him and he hasn't had any this year, but maybe it will come in the last two races.

"We have to try doing the maximum and try to win both races, now more than ever, and maybe even with less pressure because we only need to race and wait for a miracle, a retirement from our rival, so maybe I can race more relaxed now."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 12:23:45 PM »
 Thrilled Hamilton says longest race ever

By Pablo Elizalde Sunday, September 30th 2007, 07:03 GMT

Lewis Hamilton says the Japanese Grand Prix has been the longest race of his life after taking a crucial victory in the chaotic event.

Hamilton took a convincing victory in the wet to take a huge step towards becoming the first rookie to win the Formula One championship.

The McLaren driver celebrated his fourth win of the season while teammate and championship rival Fernando Alonso retired after crashing out of the action-packed race.

The result has left Hamilton with a 12-point advantage over Alonso with only two races to go, and the Briton could clinch the crown next weekend in China.

Hamilton survived the chaotic race, including two safety car periods and a spin after contact with BMW's Robert Kubica, to finish comfortably ahead of his rivals.

Despite that, the McLaren rookie admitted it had been the longest race of his career.

"It was the longest race of my life," said Hamilton. "It seemed to go on and on and on.

"We had the safety car and I was constantly on to my engineers to say tell the Red bull team to tell Mark (Webber) to make a little bit more of a gap, as with the pace car in front I couldn't go any faster.

"When we were behind the safety car, I was nervous with Kovalainen, but he did a good job. I was a second faster than anyone and they told me to slow down but I was going as slow as I felt comfortable doing.

"I am thrilled to take it and it's great for the team."

It was Hamilton's first win in the wet, and the Briton said his triumph made him think he can achieve great things.

"Obviously driving in the wet and leading and doing the last lap and thinking of races Senna and Prost were in, makes we feel I am on my way to achieving something similar to them," he said.

"I am thankful to the team, they really kept pushing hard with everything going on. It is beautiful."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 12:30:29 PM »
Japan Sunday quotes: McLaren

Sunday, September 30th 2007, 08:39 GMT

Lewis Hamilton - 1st: "A very eventful race and I am so happy to have won here at Fuji. There were moments when I thought it would have been better to stop the race; however, when the rain faded a little, conditions improved a bit. I didn't feel too much pressure and think I would have been able to push a bit harder if necessary.

"I was lucky that nothing serious happened to my car when Robert Kubica hit me. I didn't see him come so the impact caught me by surprise, and I spun. Afterwards I stayed concentrated and focused on keeping the car on the track. I want to say thank you to everybody in the team who have done a great job throughout the weekend.

"This was an important victory for the championship, but I do not want to think too much about it and will focus hard on the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai next weekend."

Fernando Alonso - DNF: "A difficult race in difficult conditions. After my pit stop I came out into traffic and was fighting for positions in the field. It was very difficult to see anything because of the spray especially when you were coming down the straight.

"As a result I did not see Vettel in my mirrors and was surprised when he hit me. I think the car was damaged quite a bit by that, but I was able to continue. However when I was braking for Turn Five I just aquaplaned and spun. Unfortunately the walls at that corner are very close to the track, so I hit the barrier heavily, and that was it.

"Of course, it is a difficult situation for me now in the championship; however, I will keep fighting until the end - as last year's Championship battle showed anything can happen."

Ron Dennis: "The weather conditions here at Fuji created their own challenges for all the teams throughout the weekend but by staying focused we made sure that both Lewis and Fernando had a chance for victory today. However, unfortunately for Fernando he aquaplaned off the circuit after driving a controlled race in very tricky conditions - particularly after his car was damaged due to a collision with Kubica.

"Lewis's performance was masterful, and he was in control throughout. The team is now going to focus on the last two races where both Lewis and Fernando have a chance of claiming the title. We will make sure that they both have the opportunity to do so and look forward to an exciting end to the Championship."

Norbert Haug: "An extremely difficult race in challenging conditions. Lewis showed a first class performance and did not put a foot wrong. He had a handicap and lacked downforce after his car had been hit by Robert Kubica and had been damaged at the rear.

"Fernando was in a difficult situation fighting in the field after his pit stop, he had aquaplaning, spun and hit the wall - that is a shame but this can happen in conditions like these, and it was not Fernando's fault.

"The entire team worked really hard throughout the weekend achieving double pole, race win and fastest lap. We now look forward to the remaining races in China and Brazil and stay focused to maintain our 1-2 lead until after the final of the season."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 12:34:21 PM »
Post-race press conference - Japan

Sunday, September 30th 2007, 10:29 GMT

TV Unilaterals

Q. Lewis, it's difficult to know where to start - what a race. We had diabolical weather conditions, started behind the safety car, pressure initially from your teammate Fernando Alonso, and then an incident with Robert Kubica.

Lewis Hamilton: Yes, a very eventful race. I think there were so many times during the race where it went through all of the drivers' heads that we should stop the race. It was sometimes very tricky, and then there were some times when it was easier to drive. We obviously had the safety car at the beginning, and I was so eager to get going.

After the safety car at the beginning I got off to a decent start and wasn't particularly feeling pressure from Fernando. I was saving fuel and easily driving away, and I could have, if I needed to, pushed more if he was on my tail. And then we came to do the pit stops, and I came out and heard that he had been off but came back on, and then he was five places behind me or something like that.

So that was a plus, and I had to just try to keep it on the track. Obviously I collided with Robert. It was just so tricky out there ? I couldn't see in my mirrors, and my visor was all fogged up and it was very foggy, so I couldn't see that he was inside of me. I'm very fortunate that I still finished.

Q. It sounds like you're taking the blame for that one; perhaps you could add to that and tell us if the car was damaged after that, because you were a little bit slow after that incident for a few laps.

LH: I didn't say I was taking the blame for it ? I think when you're behind someone you have to adjust to the conditions. I couldn't see him, and maybe he was a little bit too far behind to come up the inside to make the move. I couldn't see him, I couldn't hear him, and he touched me.

For him, it wasn't really a risk that he needed to take as he could have passed me down the straight or somewhere else. Then I felt a vibration and I thought 'shoot, there's something wrong with my car' ? maybe the rear tyre was going down or there was something wobbling, and I had it through the rest of the race. I was very fortunate ? the team said the car seemed to be OK, so just keep it on the track.

Q. How did the race feel ? now that it's finished, did it feel unbelievably long? What were the closing laps like, and what was the re-start like behind the second safety car?

LH: It was the longest race of my life ? it seemed to go on and on and on. When we were behind the second safety car, I was constantly on the radio to my engineers to tell the Red Bull team to get Mark (Webber) to make a little more of a gap because I couldn't go any faster because the pace car was in front of me, so I was trying to keep the distance with him and then I'd move over because I couldn't see Mark and then he'd just appear alongside me, so he kept out-braking himself.

I felt something was going to happen, and I guess my instincts told me right. And then we did the re-start and I had Heikki (Kovalainen) behind me and I was a bit nervous that we might collide, but he did a good job.

The last few laps, the team was telling me to slow down, that I was a second faster than anyone, and I was saying that I was going as slow as I feel comfortable doing. In the last couple of laps I took it easy because it was so wet and my tyres were getting old, and we were aquaplaning. But I'm thrilled to take it home, and it's great for the team.

Q. Heikki, the first-ever podium with two Finns on it, and you beat the other one, the illustrious Kimi Raikkonen. What a race that was in the closing stages.

Heikki Kovalainen: Yeah, tell me about it. What a rollercoaster year it's been for us, especially myself. This weekend again we made a little bit of a gamble with the car yesterday hoping it would be dry today, and then this morning it was raining probably more than yesterday.

So things didn't look fantastic at the start of the race, but you always keep going ? you never know what can happen. Our strategy worked out really well today, and so I think the team deserves one podium at least through this year. Today the pace was good.

At the end of the race I had a good fight with Kimi (Raikkonen). I couldn't see him ? my mirrors were steamed up ? but I saw my pit board, and every lap he was a second closer to me. So I knew that at some point, he was going to attack. I managed to keep him behind, so it's fantastic.

Q. What was it like in terms of having that pressure from Kimi in terms of your concentration level, and where did you think you were perhaps slower than him, or where did you have an advantage?

HK: At the end he was probably a little bit quicker everywhere ? the gap was coming down so fast. All I could do was to stay on the tracks that Lewis' car was leaving on the track. I was aquaplaning in many places.

I really wanted to take the second place, so I was willing to take a risk, so I kept flat-out through those aquaplaning moments and hoped that I don't lose the car. I managed to keep it on the track, so that was the key.

Q. Kimi, a brilliant drive from you too from the back of the field, sadly ? tell us about that decision off the line to be on the Bridgestone wet instead of the extreme wet and having to come in so early in the race?

Kimi Raikkonen: We made a decision to start on intermediates. It started to rain a little bit actually behind the safety car. That wasn't really the issue ? it was more for me to be able to see anything ? on the straight I couldn't see the car in front even if it was 50 metres in front of me.

After the race, I heard there were some rules or they forced everybody to start on full wets but the FIA or the race control forgot to tell our team, and we had to pit again under the safety car. So it cost us a lot but there was nothing we could do at that point.

All race I couldn't do much because I couldn't really see anything. I tried to get past people in the lowest part of the circuit because you could see more. I actually got past Heikki on the last lap but went a bit too fast, and he got me on the exit again. So the biggest problem for me was to see all of the other cars. It was quite a difficult race but at least we got something out of it.

Q. You did ? a podium finish, and you're still alive in the World Championship. What was the car like in terms of the downforce level you had ? it appeared you were pretty quick in a straight line but therefore had not a lot of grip in the corners? On that, you seemed to go off quite a lot but not lose a lot of time when you did go off?

KR: I aquaplaned off many times but just kept coming back. The car was set up for the dry, so it wasn't perfect for the wet. I thought that we had a good car but for sure if you are in front and you can see something, it makes it a lot easier. The whole race I tried to get past people. We lost points from Lewis again but we couldn't do much after the pit stop where we were forced to change the tyres.

Q. Returning to you Lewis for some final thoughts. There's been plenty of firsts this year for you ? your first win in the wet has to be a very special moment for any racing driver?

LH: Definitely, and there were lots of thoughts going through my mind ? driving in the wet and leading and doing the last lap and thinking of some of the races that Senna was in, and Prost, sort of made me feel that I'm on my way to achieving something similar to them.

But I'm just really thankful for the team ? they've done a fantastic job and are really pushing hard, and also my family ? it's been a long, hard year and I know you're all watching, so thank you for all of the support. And also to the fans ? especially here this weekend, the Japanese fans have been superb. They're crazy, just to sit in the rain. They've been phenomenal, so thanks to them as well.

Press Conference

Q. Well done, Lewis, congratulations. Give us some idea of the concentration for two hours ? it actually went to the time limit.

LH: For me, it was one of the most if not the most difficult race I've ever had to do, just because the conditions were changing non-stop and you really couldn't see that much. I had two tear-offs on my visor ? I took one off at the pit stop and it didn't make a difference, and I took the other one off and I noticed that the water was on the inside. You can't open it while you're driving and clean it or anything, so I was struggling to see.

My mirrors ? it was impossible to see through the spray behind me. With all of the safety cars I was getting a bit nervous with all of the drivers getting so close. The safety car was on the limit but we were way too fast for the safety car. Especially the last stint ? we were on heavy fuel and we grained the tyres, then I started to get overtaken by a few people, and I asked the team if they were going to have to pit again and if I should just let them past to make it easier and safer for me.

There was the crash with Robert... it was such an eventful race, and especially at the end when it started to rain more and I still managed to keep it on ? I was having to lift ? as Heikki was saying, the aquaplaning was unreal. So I'm just very pleased that I brought it home.

Q. With the re-starts you seemed to be rehearsing it every single lap, especially in the first safety car period?

LH: That wasn't really the case ? we just needed to keep the heat in the brakes. I was running quite a hard compound of brakes, so if I did light braking, I would have glazed the brakes. So I was making sure there was a little bit of a gap, maximising the gap that you're allowed, and use it to my benefit.

It was tough because Mark behind me was just too close, and all of a sudden he braked really hard and I don't know what happened ? someone ran into him. I'm just glad that it's over ? I was so relieved when I came across the line. It was just too long.

Q. What are your feelings about the championship now ? two races to go and you have a 12-point lead over your teammate, and you have a 17-point lead over Kimi.

LH: Obviously it's a big boost in terms of confidence in my drive to be World Champion. But we still have two races left, and anything can happen. The key is just to try to keep it on the track. I hope Fernando's OK ? I saw that it was him. I looked on the screen and he looked like he was OK. It's good for me that I've managed to pull that sort of gap.

At the Nurburgring I had that similar sort of incident and lost 10 points there, so I'm very fortunate that I've been able to gain those back. We're still pretty close, so we've got two races, so we need to knuckle down. I won't be going partying tonight.

Q. Heikki, you seemed to be having a battle with someone all the way through the race: one with Kubica, Massa and then Kimi at the end.

HK: Yeah, that's correct. For me there were battles all the way through the race. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you are attacking, not being attacked. At the end, I saw Massa was getting a bit closer and then they told me that Kimi is behind me and I saw the gap was coming down very fast but I couldn't see anything in my mirrors, they were completely steamed up.

I had no idea where he was, and then going into the last lap, I saw the gap was only 0.7s or something like that and I knew he was going to be somewhere around, but I thought I would just keep on the racing line. It was tricky going off the line because of aquaplaning, so I just tried to follow the track that Lewis was leaving in front of me.

I managed to stay ahead of Kimi. He made a move into turn six but I got him back on the exit. I really wanted to take second place rather than just third, so I went for it, as much as I could. It was a long race but I'm happy I brought it home, a very good result for all the team.

Q. What will this mean for you and the team after a long year?

HK: Yeah, for me, I always believed it was going to happen one day and I'm working harder and making sure that whenever I get an opportunity to fight for the podiums regularly I've got to be able to take it, physically and mentally. Obviously this year has been a bit of a rollercoaster for our team, a disappointing year after the last two years, but the team definitely deserves this podium.

I think we've really worked hard, all the team, no one has given up. The factory has been pushing to bring new parts for our car, even if we've been struggling and that shows that everybody is very committed, like myself. I'm also very committed. We have a lot of potential in our team. I'm sure we can come back to winning ways and hopefully I will stay with them next year, because I believe they're going to be strong again.

Q. What were your feelings when you saw Webber and Vettel collide?

HK: I was a little bit surprised, but honestly, behind the safety car, it was always a little bit tricky as Lewis said. When you go on the straight and you can't see anything, you slow down a little bit. You're just worried that someone might hit you. They can't see anything either. It's like a chain reaction.

When the guy in front slows down, the other guys have less time to react and then I think at some point Liuzzi was in front of me and I was just a little bit worried. I kept a little distance just to make sure that nothing happened. I knew he was going to do another pit stop. It was good for me to get behind Lewis but if Lewis says he had bad visibility, he should have been where I started the race, then he will know something about bad visibility.

Q. Kimi probably knows a fair amount about bad visibility as well, don't you?

KR: Yeah, I didn't have any visibility really during the race but that's part of coming from behind.

Q. It must have been really action-packed, coming all the way through from the back.

KR: Yeah, but as I said, the most difficult part is to try to see where the people are on the straight. If somebody slows down, there is no way to know. You're going full throttle, full speed on the straight and hoping nobody is slowing down because, for sure, you would hit him. When you get in low speed corners, it's much easier when you can see other cars. But it was pretty tricky.

Q. What are your feelings now about the championship?

KR: It doesn't look too good right now but there's nothing else that we could have done today, really, we did the best that we could. We lost points but there are still two races to go and we're still trying, we're still pushing and we'll see what happens.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 12:35:22 PM »
Hamilton: anything can still happen

By Alan Baldwin Sunday, September 30th 2007, 11:10 GMT

Lewis Hamilton says anything can still happen in the championship, but the Briton admitted his victory in Japan was a real confidence booster.

The 22-year-old Briton will become the first rookie champion, as well as the youngest, if he wins again in Shanghai next weekend.

The McLaren driver will start that penultimate race of the season with a 12-point lead over Spanish teammate Fernando Alonso and 17 clear of Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

Alonso, the double world champion and Hamilton's bitter rival, saw his dream of a third title in a row take a huge hit when he crashed out of the rain-swept race at the revamped Fuji circuit.

"It definitely is (a great moment)," Hamilton told a post-race news conference, revealing that he had thought of former champions Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna as he headed through the spray towards the chequered flag.

"Driving in the wet, leading and doing a last lap thinking of some of the races that Senna was in and Prost - it sort of made me feel that I'm on my way to achieving something similar to them."

Prost and Senna were both world champions with McLaren, with the late Brazilian - so outstanding in the wet at Donington Park in 1993 - also twice winning the Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka for the team.

Hamilton, in only his 15th Grand Prix, shone in the treacherous conditions to celebrate his fourth win of an astounding season.

Only one other driver, Canada's 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve in 1996, has won that many races in a debut season and Hamilton may not have finished yet.

"Obviously it's a big boost in terms of confidence in my drive to be world champion," said Hamilton. "But we still have two races left, and anything can happen. The key is just to try to keep it on the track."

The title was nearer, he acknowledged, but he would not allow himself to be distracted.

"At the back of your mind, in the subconscious, you do think about it a little bit but I think the key for me is just focus on the next race and just make sure my preparations are right and take it as it comes," he said. "I hope we have the pace to again have the opportunity to win. We'll see after the next race.

"I couldn't imagine having four wins in my first year. After the first pole and after the first win I was like; 'Come on, get out of here', but now it's just way, way beyond anything I imagined."

Hamilton recognised that he had been lucky, with Poland's Robert Kubica hitting the rear of his car and sending him spinning off, fortunately without any serious damage.

"It was just so tricky. I couldn't see in my mirrors, my visor was all fogged up," said the Briton. "It was the longest race probably of my life. It just seemed to go on and on.

"In the last few laps the team were telling me to slow down, that I was still a second faster than everyone and I said "well, I'm going as slow really as I feel comfortable doing.'"

Offline parts4smarts

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »
Can anyone figure out why Kubica was assesssed a penalty for the contact he made with Hamilton...???   It was raining and looked like a racing accident
now the last 1/2 lap with Massa were something else.....
F1 must not fall into it's , already-seen, trap of protecting the favorite-of-the-moment
harald
where smart people buy smart stuff

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 06:27:40 PM »
That is definately a protection of the favorite. Even Hamilton was not disturbed from the incident during the interview. Shrugging it off that he didn't see him.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 04:08:11 PM »
Stewards investigating Hamilton's driving

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, October 4th 2007, 09:42 GMT

World championship leader Lewis Hamilton is currently under investigation by the race stewards at the Chinese Grand Prix over his behaviour behind the safety car in Fuji last weekend, autosport.com can reveal.

It is understood that the FIA has been supplied with new information about Hamilton's driving behind the second safety car phase - where it is suggested that he contributed to the collision between Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel.

It is not clear what this new evidence may be, but it could relate to video footage suggesting that Hamilton was braking and accelerating excessively.

An FIA spokesman confirmed that the stewards were looking into the matter.

"New evidence has been brought to the stewards attention and they are currently investigating the matter," he said.

It is understood Hamilton has been asked to meet with the stewards tomorrow.

The Webber/Vettel accident was not caught on camera by Formula One's official coverage, but a Youtube video of the accident filmed from the grandstands has highlighted how Hamilton slowed down dramatically on the right of the track, forcing Webber to slow down and catch Vettel unaware.

Formula One's regulations dictate that the race leader must keep a standard distance behind the safety car until the lap before it is due to come into the pits.

Article 40.10 of the F1 Sporting Regulations states: "The safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him. Once behind the safety car, the race leader must keep within 5 car lengths of it."

With Vettel having already been handed a 10-place grid penalty in China for his part in the accident, it is thought that if the stewards believe Hamilton has done wrong then he could be punished in a similar fashion.

Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber said on Thursday that he believed Hamilton's behaviour had contributed to the accident.

"It definitely contributed to Sebastian hitting me up the back because he (Hamilton) wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing, clearly," Webber told a news conference.

"He spoke in the drivers' meeting about how good a job he was going to do and he did the opposite. Still, we know for next time."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 04:09:19 PM »
Webber critical of Hamilton's driving

By Nick Mulvenney Thursday, October 4th 2007, 09:10 GMT

Red Bull's Mark Webber criticised Formula One championship leader Lewis Hamilton on Thursday for erratic driving behind the safety car at last week's Japanese Grand Prix.

The Australian was shunted out of the race by Toro Rosso's German rookie Sebastian Vettel while in second place behind McLaren's Hamilton in heavy spray and rain with the safety car deployed.

Webber and Vettel said a sudden lurch to the right by Hamilton, the 22-year-old who will clinch the title if he wins Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix, contributed to the accident.

"It definitely contributed to Sebastian hitting me up the back because he (Hamilton) wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing, clearly," Webber told a news conference.

"He spoke in the drivers' meeting about how good a job he was going to do and he did the opposite. Still, we know for next time."

The Australian, who had struggled with food poisoning and vomited during Sunday's race, said the accident had wrecked one of his best chances in 101 Grands Prix starts to claim his first Formula One victory.

"It was one of the lowest points of my career last weekend, in terms of being in a position to challenge for victory, and it was taken away not even in a racing incident," he said.

"It was very, very hard to swallow. It's under the bridge, it's gone and we'll never get that back."

Vettel, who said after the race that he had been distracted by Hamilton's slowing and running wide, again apologised to Webber.

"As a human being you react to movement," he said.

"I saw Lewis move far to the right and thought he was coming to a stop ... I obviously did not plan to ruin both of our races."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
Tost tipped off stewards about video

By Jonathan Noble and Steve Cooper Thursday, October 4th 2007, 10:22 GMT

Scuderia Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost has confirmed that he approached the race stewards in China to complain about Lewis Hamilton's driving behind the safety car in Japan.

Tost said he was spurred into speaking to the stewards after being made aware of a Youtube video of the incident behind the safety car when his driver Sebastian Vettel ran into the back of Mark Webber.

The video shows Hamilton slowing down on the right hand side of the track, with Webber then braking on the left hand side before Vettel slides into the back of him.

Speaking to autosport.com, Tost said that he believes the video showed Hamilton's driving was not correct.

"You could see quite clearly that Hamilton slows down quite unexpectedly," said Tost.

"Look at the video. Sebastian would have had to have gone between the cars (Webber and Hamilton) and there was no chance. It was totally unexpected. It looked like Hamilton was stopping, that is why I went to the stewards."

Tost has made it clear, however, that his motivation for visiting the stewards was more to see Vettel's 10-place grid penalty for causing the accident annulled, rather than seeing Hamilton punished.

"If anything I want to see Vettel's grid penalty taken away because it is totally unfair," he said.