Author Topic: Ralf expects tough start in DTM  (Read 2670 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Ralf expects tough start in DTM
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:06:32 PM »

By Jonathan Noble Monday, February 18th 2008, 16:42 GMT

Ralf Schumacher says he is expecting a tough start to life as a DTM racer - but has vowed not to let any criticisms that come his way affect his determination to make a success of his new career.

The former Grand Prix winner confirmed today that he is making the switch to touring cars in a year-old Mercedes-Benz this season, having tested one at Estoril in Portugal earlier this year.

With the competitiveness of the championship likely to mean Schumacher will face an uphill battle to deliver top-line results, he has made it clear that he is ready to learn, and ignore any flak that comes his way.

"I will learn in the DTM, I will work hard and I will put it behind me if people criticize me for problems I may have during the first couple of races," said Schumacher.

"It was great fun testing the DTM C-Class and I look very much forward to the new season, more than I did for a long time. Money and popularity like in Formula One are not the primary thing for me.

"Now I want sport, fun and excitement and that's what the DTM features more than any other race series."

He added: "It's fine if people have patience with me being an apprentice in the beginning, but if not - I don't mind. I know already most of my future competitors, but I don't expect them to let me pass just because they think: 'here comes Ralf who doesn't know the DTM so well.'"

Schumacher has said that he hopes that the DTM can reignite his passion for racing, after feeling that the last few years for him in Formula One did not bring much satisfaction.

"Of course I know that neither the media nor the spectators consider me the greatest race driver of all times, and this is not what I'm aiming for," he said.

"During my last three years in F1, I didn't have much success and it almost sounded strange to me when Norbert (Haug) mentioned in a conversation that a little while ago I managed to win two Grands Prix within only eight days.

"However, I am still the same Ralf as at those times, the same racer who has fun in motor sports and who wants to compete with the best.

"I like the DTM, I like the environment, and I like the enthusiastic and positive spectators. And I like Mercedes ? with them I got my first chance to test a Formula 1 car in 1996 and who knows how my Formula One career would have turned out if I had accepted the McLaren Mercedes offer to become their test driver for 1997.

"But then I wanted to drive races, and that's what I still want today, more than ten years later."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Ralf expects tough start in DTM
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »
Ralf confirms Mercedes DTM deal

By Jonathan Noble Monday, February 18th 2008, 15:05 GMT

Ralf Schumacher has ended weeks of speculation about his future by confirming that he will race a Trilux AMG Mercedes C-Class in the DTM this year.

Schumacher tested a Mercedes-Benz DTM at Estoril in Portugal earlier this year and was immediately attracted to the series, with his options in Formula One having run out.

Although it was widely expected he would complete a deal with Mercedes-Benz, the news was not confirmed until today. It means his first race will be at Hockenheim on April 13.

Schumacher insisted throughout the end of last year that he would remain in F1 in 2008, even though no teams had any interest in signing him.

However, as soon as he tested a DTM car he expressed his desire in becoming a touring car driver.

"I wouldn't be here driving the car if I wasn't enjoying it and if I wasn't seriously considering racing in the DTM," he said after his recent Estoril test. "I'm using every minute of testing to get to know the car better.

"Should a co-operation come about, I would race one of the 2007-spec cars. After all, I'm new to DTM and would have to get to know everything and get accustomed to racing the car - you don't need a new one to do that. In the learning year, winning races just wouldn't be the goal yet."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »
Haug: Ralf will be a new man in DTM

By Jonathan Noble Monday, February 18th 2008, 16:58 GMT

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug believes Ralf Schumacher will gain a new image this season on the back of his switch to the DTM.

Schumacher's move to the German touring car championship was confirmed on Monday, with the former Grand Prix winner signing up to race a year-old Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

And although Schumacher was never the most popular of drivers in F1, Haug is expecting him to receive a very different reception from fans in the DTM.

"With the attitude Ralf showed during the tests and in our conversations, I am convinced that the DTM will experience a new driver - with skills, concentration and who has everything to inspire both the crowd and his team," said Haug.

"Ralf will soon have a new image and I think that in his first year in the DTM this will not be based on his results but on his commitment to fight sportsmanlike. He will be hard and fair, with an extremely tough competition and thus to learn to improve to the top step-by-step.

"I admire Ralf for his commitment to compete, which is what you experience only with a good and fully motivated sportsman."

Despite expecting Schumacher to be a popular addition, Haug thinks that the German will not be fighting at the front of the grid.

"It is clear that in the DTM, Ralf has at first to get used to starting positions with two-digit numbers, and that during his learning year he probably will start from the last third of the field rather than from the second third.

"But Ralf is ready to go this way of learning and our technical team will support him entirely."

Haug also confirmed that Schumacher's deal to race in the DTM did not depend on him being granted any special status within the German car manufacturer's squad.

"Ralf did not ask us for an F1 bonus in his salary, nor did he require a special status within the team - and compliments for this attitude. This is only correct and therefore the best pre-condition for his new career."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:01:57 PM »
DTM boss Aufrecht tips Ralf to shine

By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 17:20 GMT

DTM boss Hans Werner Aufrecht believes Ralf Schumacher will need time before he succeeds in the series, but he reckons the German driver will eventually shine.

Schumacher confirmed on Monday he will race in the German touring car series following his exit from Formula One at the end of last year.

The former Grand Prix winner will race a year-old Mercedes C-Class with the Trilux team in his first year in touring cars.

Aufrecht said Schumacher's arrival will be a boost for the DTM, and he reckons the German will eventually succeed in the series.

"Ralf Schumacher in the DTM in a Silver Arrow is great," Aufrecht said on the official DTM website. "The fact that Ralf has accepted the DTM challenge shows that he is a true racer.

"It certainly won't be easy for him at the beginning, as others have experienced before him.

"I'm convinced that with his outstanding driving skills and a bit of time he will succeed in the DTM."