Author Topic: Hamilton disqualified from Australian GP  (Read 2431 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
Hamilton disqualified from Australian GP
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 08:49 GMT

Lewis HamiltonLewis Hamilton has been stripped of his third place finish in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix after the world champion and his team were judged to have provided 'misleading' evidence during a post-race stewards' hearing.

The British driver had finished fourth on the road, but was moved up a position when original third place finisher Jarno Trulli was handed a 25-second penalty for having overtaken Hamilton behind the safety car.

However, following the discovery of new evidence, believed to be radio transmissions from the Toyota and McLaren teams, the race stewards convened a fresh hearing in Malaysia this afternoon to discuss the matter.

It is believed the radio transmissions contradicted the original statements presented to the stewards by Hamilton and McLaren.

A statement issued by the stewards said: "The Stewards having considered the new elements presented to them from the 2009 Australian Formula One Grand Prix, consider that driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards at the hearing on Sunday 29th March 2009, a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

"Under Article 158 of the International Sporting Code the driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes are excluded from the race classification for the 2009 Australian Grand Prix and the classification is amended accordingly."

Further to the Hamilton decision, the race stewards have scrapped the penalty against Trulli and he has now been awarded third place for the Australian Grand Prix.

Revised Melbourne standings:

Classified:

Pos  Driver        Team                      Time
 1.  Button        Brawn GP              (B)  1h34:15.784
 2.  Barrichello   Brawn GP              (B)  +     0.807
 3.  Trulli        Toyota                (B)  +     1.604
 4.  Glock         Toyota                (B)  +     4.435
 5.  Alonso        Renault               (B)  +     4.879
 6.  Rosberg       Williams-Toyota       (B)  +     5.722
 7.  Buemi         Toro Rosso-Ferrari    (B)  +     6.004
 8.  Bourdais      Toro Rosso-Ferrari    (B)  +     6.298
 9.  Sutil         Force India-Mercedes  (B)  +     6.335
10.  Heidfeld      BMW Sauber            (B)  +     7.085
11.  Fisichella    Force India-Mercedes  (B)  +     7.374
12.  Webber        Red Bull-Renault      (B)  +     1 lap
13.  Vettel        Red Bull-Renault      (B)  +    2 laps
14.  Kubica        BMW Sauber            (B)  +    3 laps
15.  Raikkonen     Ferrari               (B)  +    3 laps

Fastest lap: Rosberg, 1:27.706

Not classified/retirements:

Driver        Team                      On lap
Massa         Ferrari               (B)    46
Piquet        Renault               (B)    25
Nakajima      Williams-Toyota       (B)    18
Kovalainen    McLaren-Mercedes      (B)    1
Hamilton      McLaren-Mercedes      (B)    DSQ

World Championship standings, round 1:

Drivers:                    Constructors:
 1.  Button        10        1.  Brawn GP               18
 2.  Barrichello    8        2.  Toyota                 11
 3.  Trulli         6        3.  Renault                 4
 4.  Glock          5        4.  Williams-Toyota         3
 5.  Alonso         4        5.  Toro Rosso-Ferrari      3
 6.  Rosberg        3
 7.  Buemi          2
 8.  Bourdais       1

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
Re: Hamilton disqualified from Australian GP
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:18:47 AM »
McLaren won't appeal Hamilton exclusion

By Pablo Elizalde    Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 10:48 GMT

McLaren has decided not to appeal Lewis Hamilton's exclusion from the Australian Grand Prix.

Hamilton was disqualified from the race result on Thursday after the FIA stewards deemed the Briton and his McLaren team had "acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards" following the Melbourne race, where Hamilton was elevated to third following a penalty to Toyota's Jarno Trulli.

Following the discovery of new evidence, believed to be radio transmissions, the stewards summoned both Trulli and Hamilton again today and decided to withdrawn the Italian's penalty while throwing the Briton out of the race.

McLaren said in a statement on Thursday that the team thought the FIA had already reviewed the radio transmissions after the race, and did not believe "it was necessary to discuss them with the stewards on that date."

The team said it will not appeal Hamilton's exclusion.

"The FIA Stewards have reviewed their decision of Sunday 29th March 2009, and have excluded Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton from the results of the 2009 Australian Grand Prix," said McLaren in a statement.

"Vodafone McLaren Mercedes understands that the Stewards made their decision on the basis of reviewing radio transmissions between the driver and the Team.

"The Team mistakenly believed that the radio transmissions had been reviewed by the FIA on Sunday 29th March 2009, and consequently did not believe it was necessary to discuss them with the Stewards on that date.

"Nonetheless, the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team now regrets that it did not do so, accepts the Stewards' decision and will not appeal."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »
Q & A with Martin Whitmarsh

By Jonathan Noble    Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 11:34 GMT

Four days after being moved into a podium position, Lewis Hamilton and his McLaren team were left with no points from the first race of the season in Australia.

The FIA deemed both the team and the driver had not been completely honest during a meeting to discuss Hamilton's incident with Jarno Trulli during the race.

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh gave his take on the decision on Thursday evening and AUTOSPORT was there.

Q. What is your reaction to what has happened?

Martin Whitmarsh faces the media in MalaysiaMartin Whitmarsh: Well it goes without saying that obviously we are disappointed with what has happened. But under the circumstances we are not going to appeal.

As we see it, what happened here is that during the closing stages of the Australian Grand Prix, under difficult conditions, there was a safety car incident whereby Jarno Trulli fell off the circuit and Lewis [Hamilton] could legitimately pass Trulli. I don't think that is in question.

Of course, the team could not see it. Lewis informed the team that he had passed Trulli - and there was understandably concern within the team that he had passed Trulli under a safety car. At that time, we did not know that Trulli was right off the circuit and Lewis was asked to give back the place to Trulli. That was a team view, having not seen it, and we thought it was the safest thing to do.

Once that instruction was given to Lewis, he did not agree. He said: 'Look, the guy was off the circuit, I don't need to do this.' A discussion was occurring and before that discussion was finished, Trulli had re-passed. If we look at the speed traces at that time, and compare it to other periods behind the safety car, then Lewis did not do anything abnormal. And I think it is also quite clear that Trulli should not have re-passed.

As soon as that happened, we then spoke to Race Control, to explain that and ask if we could retake that place. At the time, understandably Race Control was busy and they were not able to give us an answer. We asked several times, but clearly they were very busy. So we had to then deal with it. We felt it would be resolved by the stewards after the race.

At the stewards' meeting, we mistakenly believed that the stewards were aware, Charlie [Whiting] was there, and the FIA was there, of that radio conversation. The stewards now believe that we were not explicit enough about that radio conversation, and felt therefore that that was prejudicial to the decision that they reached. Obviously we regret that, and that was a mistake by the team, but we have got to accept the decision that has now been made.

Q. But the indication in the ruling is that Lewis [Hamilton] lied to the stewards. What do you say to that?

MW: I don't think there is any indication of that. There is no suggestion that Lewis lied to the stewards.

Q. The FIA statement said ?deliberate' though. What did they mean by that?

MW: I don't know what they meant by it, you will have to ask them. But from what I understand there was a belief that the team was not explicit enough in terms of the content of the radio conversations. We don't believe that those radio conversations had a material effect on the fact that he was passed by Trulli under the safety car, but they clearly feel that despite that information, which was listened to by Race Control who was present, that the team did not give enough information about that radio conversation. I don't think there is any implication that Lewis lied, or such a statement is contained in what they said or what they believe.

Q. But the ruling says that Lewis provided evidence that was ?deliberately misleading.'

MW: What they believe is that... the information about that radio conversation with the team was withheld, and that is what they believe was misleading.

Q. But it sounds like what Trulli said about the incident was very different from how Lewis presented it to the stewards?

MW: No, I don't think it is. There is no dispute about how Lewis overtook Trulli. Trulli was off the circuit and that was quite legitimate. With regard to then how Trulli then took [Lewis], I believe it was still considered by the stewards to not have been legitimate. What the stewards were concerned about was that there had been, and was, a conversation going on between the team and Lewis, and the feeling is that the team was not explicit enough about it.

Q. But the FIA deems it is a grave breach of sporting conduct, and has already indicated that this could go to the World Motor Sport Council, where further sanctions could be taken against McLaren?

MW: Well, you've got more information about that than me. I think the problem that the stewards have, is that they believe the team were not explicit enough in releasing that information. We do not think that it affected the outcome and the decisions, but that was their opinion.

Q. Do you believe the stewards have been right in what they have done? Have they been fair?

MW: I believe it was a harsh decision. I think the facts of the case are that Lewis made a legitimate pass and subsequently was re-passed. At the time the team asked several times to Race Control if it could re-pass and at the time, understandably, Race Control was too busy to be able to answer that question. So, we felt that the decision of the stewards in the immediate aftermath of the race was fair. But the stewards now believe that the radio conversation, which occurred and was listened to by the FIA, because in their opinion that was not explicitly made in the submission that the team made, that we withheld that. And therefore they came to this decision today.

Q. Would you agree it is a bleak day for McLaren, in the wake of Spygate a few years ago and the biggest ever fine?

MW: I think it is a regrettable day, and the fact is, the belief is, that we were not explicit. But I don't believe that that information would have made any difference to the decisions and the deliberations at the time. It certainly was not a deliberate attempt. It is quite clear that the radio conversations are listened to by the FIA, they are open, and the FIA was present during that hearing. So in the opinion of the team representative, there was a belief that it was known and there had been a conversation with the FIA.

Q. But they have reopened a case that was already closed, so something showed that the new evidence was something you had not given them?

MW: I think there has been a range of media speculation and therefore it was right to just look and see if there was any information that they didn't have. I don't believe there was any information that they didn't have ? but they believed the team was not explicit enough in providing that information.

Q. Lewis after the race only spoke about getting past Trulli, but never mentioned stopping and giving the place back?

MW: He didn't stop, and the telemetry data which was shown to the stewards today showed that the lap on which he was overtaken was no different from the succeeding lap that was under the safety car. It was difficult conditions but there was no evidence from the data that Lewis did anything that induced Trulli to go past.

Q. How has Lewis taken this, as this is the start of his title defence?

MW: Well, as you would imagine, Lewis is extremely disappointed with it.

Q. Do you accept the decision?

MW: I think it is a harsh decision but I think experience has told us that you have to accept these decisions and these things that come along, and you have to build on your focus for this weekend and the races beyond that. There is no point dwelling on it.

Q. But isn't the whole point about the moment that Trulli passed Hamilton, rather than the radio conversations?

MW: I don't believe that there is anything in the statement, or there has been anything from the stewards, that indicated that they were lied to.

Q. But they said you were ?deliberately misleading'..

MW: What I believe is that the stewards are saying, is that the information was not provided to them. And that information was about the radio conversation between the team and Lewis, and they feel the team could have been more explicit about that than it was.

Q. But do you really feel that, given the strong wording of the statement?

MW: I do believe that, because I believe that to be the case. There was no lie in that hearing. We, the team, made a mistake. We did not provide a full account of a radio conversation which we believe was being listened to in any case, and we don't believe was material to the decisions being made by the stewards.

Q. But did you not give them that conversation deliberately?

MW: I wasn't party to the actual meeting, but as you can imagine in those situations, you focus on the points that you believe are relevant. And the team, in the opinion of the stewards, was mistaken in not providing all the information. I think the people who were there, representing the team, supposed the conversations were known about because our radio conversations are open to the FIA in any case.

Q. In interviews after the race, Lewis said he was told by the team to let Trulli pass. The indications from this hearing are that he said something completely different?

MW: I think what Lewis told the media afterwards was that he had been asked by the team to let the driver through.

Q. And then told the stewards something completely different?

MW: I don't believe he did. All of the content of the conversation between the team and Lewis was not fully and explicitly shared with the stewards.

Q. So he was economical with the truth then?

MW: He answered the questions that were put to him in an honest manner, but the team should have provided, according to the stewards, a fuller account of what happened.

Q. Did you let Lewis down in that way then?

MW: We are a team and we are disappointed about this. I am sure when you look back on it we could have dealt with it in a different way. I think the radio conversation was not something that the team sought to conceal ? it is with the FIA in any case and the people who were there felt the FIA was aware of that conversation. With hindsight it would have been better to have very explicitly gone through that conversation. The people who were there did not do that.

Q. So you believe you are Lewis have been honest?

MW: I believe the team and Lewis are completely honest in how we go about F1.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »
The full decision by the FIA stewards

Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 12:50 GMT

At the first hearing following the Australian Grand Prix the Stewards did not have the benefit of the radio exchanges between driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and his Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes nor did they have access to the comments to the Media given by Lewis Hamilton immediately after the end of the race.

From the video recordings available to the Stewards during the hearing it appeared that Jarno Trulli's car left the track and car No 1 moved into third place. It then appeared that Trulli overtook Hamilton to regain third place, which at the time was prohibited as it was during the Safety Car period.

During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the Stewards and the Race Director questioned Lewis Hamilton and his Team Manager David Ryan specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake.

Both the driver and the Team Manager stated that no such instruction had been given. The Race Director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted that he had not done so.

The new elements presented to the Stewards several days after the 2009 Australian Grand Prix which led to the reconvened Stewards Meeting clearly show that:

a. Immediately after the race and before Lewis Hamilton attended the Stewards Meeting he gave an interview to the Media where he clearly stated that the Team had told him to let Trulli pass.

b. Furthermore, the radio exchanges between the driver and the Team contain two explicit orders from the Team to let the Toyota pass.

The Stewards, having learned about the radio exchanges and the Media interview, felt strongly that they had been misled by the driver and his Team Manager which led to Jarno Trulli being unfairly penalised and Lewis Hamilton gaining third place.

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:21:53 AM »
Delighted Trulli says he has 'got justice'

By Jonathan Noble and Matt Beer    Thursday, April 2nd 2009, 09:23 GMT

Jarno TrulliJarno Trulli has welcomed the FIA's decision to restore his third place in the Australian Grand Prix.

The Toyota driver was originally demoted from third to 12th for passing Lewis Hamilton behind the safety car, but that penalty has now been cancelled and Hamilton disqualified from the Melbourne results after the world champion was adjudged to given 'misleading' evidence.

Trulli had always insisted that he had only passed Hamilton because the McLaren appeared to be slowing to a halt, and was delighted that the previous decision had been cancelled.

"I am happy because I just wanted some justice, and I am happy I got it," he said. "I am happy for myself, for the team - and I have to thank the FIA because it does not happen very often that they reconsider something.

"It must have been really hard for them, but they had common sense to really try and understand what was going on. I have been always honest and it has paid off."

He clarified that the decision to revisit the incident was taken solely by the FIA as Toyota had decided not to appeal the penalty after all.

"We did not appeal. We did not do anything, and I did not make any further comments," said Trulli.

"I think the FIA was clever enough to understand the situation. They had a very busy end of the race, with so many accidents, and they now had a bit more evidence to understand the case.

"So they wanted to hear us again, and it just confirmed what happened in Australia as I didn't change my statement. That is it. I don't know what made them change their mind."

Trulli declined to comment on Hamilton's actions or his exclusion.

"I don't know the evidence or what they investigated on," he said. "I cannot comment on it. I am just happy I got my position and what I did on the track.

"Honestly, it was a controversial end of the race and it was hard for anyone to understand. But again I would like to thank the FIA because they had the strength to reconsider the case, giving new evidence and understanding what was going on.

"I never lied, I was always honest in my statements and I never changed it."

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »
Courtesy of Autosport

McLaren confirms Ryan's suspension

By Jonathan Noble    Friday, April 3rd 2009, 07:38 GMT

Dave RyanMcLaren has confirmed that sporting director Dave Ryan has been suspended from his position with the team.

As AUTOSPORT reported earlier, Ryan's suspension has come in the wake of Lewis Hamilton's disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix following the team providing 'deliberately misleading' information to the race stewards.

Ryan was seen leaving the Sepang paddock during first free practice on Friday morning, prompting suggestions that his future with the team was in doubt.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has now confirmed that Ryan is suspended for his role in the affair.

"In my 20-odd years working for McLaren, I doubt if I've met a more dedicated individual than Davey," said Whitmarsh. "He's been an integral part of McLaren since 1974 and has played a crucial role in the team's many world championship successes since that time.

"However, his role in the events of last Sunday, particularly his dealings with the FIA stewards, has caused serious repercussions for the team, for which we apologise. Therefore, I suspended him this morning and he has accepted this."