Author Topic: DTM 2012 – Press Release No. 35  (Read 2552 times)

Offline fasteddy

• Administrator
    • www.flyingtiger.ca  http://shop.flyingtiger.ca
DTM 2012 – Press Release No. 35
« on: June 14, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
12th June, 2012

Munich looking forward to DTM

DTM       

On 14th and 15th July, 2012, DTM will make its second appearance in Munich’s Olympic Stadium. For an entire weekend, the most popular international touring-car series will entertain the crowds in the Olympic stadium of the Bavarian capital with an exclusive motor-racing spectacle. Nowhere else, the motor-racing enthusiasts can get as close to the DTM action as in this stadium event. And in addition, the crowds are provided a multifaceted support programme that is going to fascinate the entire family not only with motor-sport highlights alone but also with show and music highlights. Compared to last years debut event in Munich, the second edition was spiced up with several innovations to even increase the attractiveness for the visitors. For instance, both the track layout and the racing format were altered, with the team relay on Saturday representing a first in the motor-racing world that promises to make for spectacular brand battles.

This Tuesday, about a month prior to the event, the DTM drivers Mattias Ekström (Audi), Bruno Spengler (BMW) and Ralf Schumacher (Mercedes-Benz) inaugurated the new stadium tarmac and tested the new circuit for the first time, with their new DTM vehicles. “Today’s test represented a good opportunity to get a first impression of the new track,” said Ralf Schumacher. “The tarmac definitely provides more grip than last year’s. That’s a real improvement. I’m truly looking forward to the event in Munich and hope that it will attract an even bigger crowd than the one that attended the maiden edition held in 2011.”

The DTM drivers and the three premium-car manufacturers involved in DTM aren’t the only ones looking forward to the event. A big number of celebrities also just can’t wait for witnessing thrilling motor racing in a stadium atmosphere. In addition, the Olympic Park, a sports venue steeped in history that keeps on staging thrilling events even 40 years after the Olympics it was built for, represents the perfect backdrop for great sports events and legendary victories.

Franz Beckenbauer, Football World Cup winner:

“In July, DTM will come to Munich’s Olympic Stadium. A sports venue I have a lot of fond memories of: just remember the final of the 1974 football World Cup and - of course - all the successful decades with FC Bayern München. I’m really delighted that thousandths of fans are still visiting this stadium to witness top-call sports events.”

Waldemar Hartmann, German TV presenter and sports commentator:

“The DTM event is great for the city of Munich and the Olympic Stadium. It will be the summer highlight for Munich!”

Martin Kaymer, Germany’s No 1 golf pro:

“I have been attentively following BMW’s achievements to date in their DTM comeback season. And I’m going to contest the ProAm of the BMW International held in Cologne Lärchenhof together with Martin Tomczyk. I think it’s just great that BMW again is making a stop in Munich’s Olympic Stadium, in 2012, thus providing the fans motor-racing at their finger tips. The BMW M3 DTM is a spectacular racing car and every motor-racing enthusiast should use this chance of witnessing it racing at close range. And a stadium event such as the one in Munich is perfectly suited for doing so.”

Felix Neureuther, alpine skiing ace:

“For me, DTM represents motor racing at close range and I’m just delighted that the powerful touring cars are once again making a stop in Munich. The Olympic Park just is the No 1 sports venue of the city: Olympic Tower, Olympic Hall, Olympic Mountain - you just know them. Even as I child, I attended a lot of the home matches of FC Bayern and today, I’m attending the ice hockey there, with my friends. And it goes without saying that I also contested several ski races on the Olympic Mountain. For me, these races represent the highlight of every skiing season. It’s just something very special. Nowhere else you are feeling as close to the enthusiastic fans as there.”

Bernd Rauch, 2nd Vice President FC Bayern München e.V.:

“Due to its unique urbanistic and architectural solution, Munich’s Olympic stadium has remained a constant in the national and international sports world until today. Now, with the football having moved to the Allianz Arena and major track and field events having become rarer than in the past, the DTM approach to establish motor racing in the Olympic Stadium is highly appreciated. Events like this make sure that the Olympic Stadium will defend its popularity with the citizens of Munich - even 40 years after its inauguration. And when it comes to the race, it goes without saying that I will cross my fingers for our long-term partner Audi.”

Nico Rosberg, Formula 1 driver Mercedes AMG Petronas:

“On 15th July, DTM will be back in Munich’s Olympic Stadium. Last year, I had a lot of fun while completing some demonstration laps with my Formula 1 car in front of the 40,000 visitors. An impressive event in the heart of Munich, featuring true funfair atmosphere. In no other DTM event, the spectators get as close to the action as here. The close sections and the head-to-head battles guarantee top-class motor racing. A must for every motor-racing enthusiast.”

Hermann Tomczyk, ADAC Sports President:

“DTM in Munich’s Olympic Stadium - that’s most definitely a very special and unique event. 40 years after the Olympics in Munich and seven years after the opening of the Allianz Arena, it becomes obvious that this stadium that has been the venue of so many major triumphs - and extremely bitter defeats, too - still is a place that has got what it takes to attract big crowds - if they are offered something special.”

Katarina Witt, two-time Olympic figure-skating gold medallist:

“For many decades, Munich’s Olympic stadium has been the venue of fantastic events, with sports history having been made there countless times. The entire Olympic Park is an architectonic icon and an integral part of Munich. Therefore, it’s just perfect that BMW are going to race there, next to the company’s headquarters, within the framework of their DTM involvement. The battles of spectacular racing cars in the tight stadium ambience are just fascinating. And I’m convinced that getting that close to the fans and feeling their enthusiasm at close range also will be something very special for the drivers. In my days as active figure skater, the support of the crowds always proved to be extremely motivating, for me.”